future of afganistan

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think it will never be peaceful, and the war probably won't stop. The Taleban are driven by faith in their religion, so they won't stop fighting until they are told through some opium induced vision that they need to stop. Bunch of bloodthirsty barbaric bast*rds though!

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
As long as humans have religions, as long as people own land, there will be wars.

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
it makes me laugh that all there gods say they should not kill but yet there out there killing and murdering in the name of there god or to get people to join there religion there so desperate

mike webb

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i believe that afghanistan is a long war, and that its course will be much different to that of Iraq. in iraq we saw the fall of saddam, and the country appeared to fall into chaos. however all of saddams infrastructure remained, and the people were used to control and authority.. all we had to do was replace what has been removed with our own version.. and i believe that now iraq is nearly finished.. there are trouble spots and rough edges, but we have 4000 troops in iraq and this number will go down net year. its managable, and it shows the that these things can be done.

afghan is different.. the infracture is of a much weaker state... and such institutions need to be rebuilt. there is little acceptance of state control... its much different to iraq, in regard that it is still very tribal.. the iraqi police are proud to serve their country, and are more effective than their afghan counterparts, whom from reading different books, still seem very flighty and collude with the taliban.

what angers me the most however is this belief that afghan isnt the worlds problem. iraq i can admit, it was a U.S and U.K fight... we took them on, and didnt expect the world to get involved. but we are in afghan because this is where the terrorists train. this is where they recruit, and this is where they get their funding (from opium). the french public in their typical arrogance dont want to be in afghanistan, completely missing the point that they also lay in the cross hairs of the enemy. mind you the french have a history of military incompetence from waterloo to the blitzkerg in WW2....the canadians and Dutch also seem to be getting cold feet. they do not seem aware that this problem is theirs to. if we fail here they will attack us at home. i whole heartedly believe this.

afghanistan is a difficult issue, the only way i can see success being achieved is by building up a solid and firm framework of a state. building up a sturdy national industry which can offer employment and income for the population. this will take time.. perhaps 10-20 years infact. we can continue for as long as we need to.. this is everyones problem. no-one on here wants to insult islam, it is a peaceful religon. however there are elements of it which have become corrupted and threatens everyone whom it considers to be against its evil beliefs. we can defeat them, we just need to show the greater will. we need to kill as many as we can, keep their ability to attack the population to a minimum.

as for the nations whom show weakness and are pondering leaving afghan, this is the greates display of nation cowardise, and it will fall on the few countries remaining to defend the many who have left. i dont endorse terrorist attacks.. but would paris feel so disconnected from afghanistan if someone destroyed the eiffle tower, in the name of Al-Quida?

to finish with a churchill speech!! "We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind, We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us: to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, What is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory - victory - at all costs, victory, in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Let that be realised; no survival for the British Empire; no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge and impulse of the ages, that mankind will move forward towards its goal. But I take up my task with buoyancy and hope. I feel sure that our cause will not be suffered to fail among men. At this time I feel entitled to claim the aid of all, and I say, 'Come, then, let us go forward together with our united strength.'

We love the cheese! haha!

mike

C

critchmufc

i think we need to keep our troops in there,

get the afghan national army out of afghanistan, put them through six months basic training, do this untill they have around 100,000 well trained soldiers,

get USA to buy then loads of gear and safety equipment, some tanks and helicopters and leave them to fight the taleban themselves,

then we can go.

so if a war breaks out with a higher powered country, maybe north korea, our troops arnt stretched in afghanistan

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
As long as humans have religions, as long as people own land, there will be wars.

That sums up all the wars that have ever gone on, or any war/conflict that will ever go on in the next 200 years.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Afghanistan is a war unlike any other we have fought or seen before. This is possibly the future of wars. It is not definable in terms of "Winning" or "Losing".
If a war cannot be won then how do you fight it? I do not think there is a way you can, we can educate people, we can give them independence and we can give them a government and an infrastructure and an army. However as long as there are people in the world of the mindset and belief as the Taliban are and Al-Qaeda and all other terrorists, as not all are Islamic, then we cannot possibly hope to come to give any term such as "Victory" to our fight against terrorism.
Who we call terrorists others call freedom fighters and this must always be remembered. Victory cannot hope to be secured only the possibility of harmony. A way for people to coalesce in peace.
So back to Afghanistan, unfortunately the Taliban and others cause death and destruction and it is not right for them to do this to peaceful citizens. However some of these citizens are aiding the Taliban through fear or not does not matter, it is there country and as long as they do we cannot hope to do much. The Afghans must stand up for themselves to push out the Taliban and achieve peace as with no one helping and hiding them supporting them they cannot hope to exist as slowly they will realise the people they are fighting for no longer believe in them and that there cause is no longer just! As this happens less people will join them and there power will diminish thus creating an environment where the ordinary Afghan can live a life how they choose without fear.
As long as foreign forces are in Afghanistan then the Taliban have people to target and war will continue.
So i believe that we will eventually leave Afghanistan and the future is very much dependant on the local people deciding what they want for themselves.
The country will undergo a "civil war" of sorts, with the Taliban as the "Monarchy" as in they are the ruling party as they rule through terror, and the people will rise up and form a democracy and put into power a government. Thus catching up with where our country is today. A country and its people can only do this when it is ready and it cannot be forced.

Bit of an essay there. Please feel free to make comments Positive or Negative as it is only my opinion. In brief we will leave Afghanistan with no tangible evidence of doing anything but a seed will have been sown, and Afghanistan will have to decide its own future.

New Threads