Gainers

DBrookman

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted before but I've seen a lot of posts about 'gainers' having a huge effect on calisthenics. I need to improve my pullups/pressups etc so could anyone explain/provide a link of what they are?

Cheers

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I started doing gainers myself this week.

I started off with 15/15/15 on press-ups and 20/20/20 sit-ups doing these tue/wed/fri/sat.

Be difficult to do these everyday especially when you get to the higher numbers any idea how often your meant to do these as he doesn’t mention it in the video just that the next day and so on?

smashlegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

I started off with 15/15/15 on press-ups and 20/20/20 sit-ups doing these tue/wed/fri/sat.

Be difficult to do these everyday especially when you get to the higher numbers any idea how often your meant to do these as he doesn’t mention it in the video just that the next day and so on?

Every other day. However I prefer to either do 1max set 3-4half sets, or 4sets till failure. See what works for you.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Every other day. However I prefer to either do 1max set 3-4half sets, or 4sets till failure. See what works for you.

Yeah I was thinking maybe doing it every other day would be better but not sure if that defies the point of how your actually meant to do gainers!
Im fine *text deleted* but I suppose when I get to the higher number sets might have to tweak it around a bit then.

J9R4W

Reaction score

Yeah I found this, I only do a 'gainers' workout once a week, which I add one or two reps to each week. The rest of the time I do the 'get fit to apply' circuit. I basically found myself training to failure for every workout with gainers which I wasn't able to keep up without injury. I've found it's a good way to build strength/endurance but best when mixed with easier circuits throughout the week

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I found this, I only do a 'gainers' workout once a week, which I add one or two reps to each week. The rest of the time I do the 'get fit to apply' circuit. I basically found myself training to failure for every workout with gainers which I wasn't able to keep up without injury. I've found it's a good way to build strength/endurance but best when mixed with easier circuits throughout the week

Yeah doing the bodyweight exercises in fintan workouts make a big difference for sure!
Ive got gainers listed as 3 times a week currently although the numbers im doing *text deleted* are nothing special will see if there’s benefits when I get to say 30/30/30 or there abouts then try individual max effort and see how it progresses.

J9R4W

Reaction score
Yeah doing the bodyweight exercises in fintan workouts make a big difference for sure!
Ive got gainers listed as 3 times a week currently although the numbers im doing *text deleted* are nothing special will see if there’s benefits when I get to say 30/30/30 or there abouts then try individual max effort and see how it progresses.
Fair, yeah that sounds good. I reckon its definitely worthwhile going to failure once a week or so with the bodyweight exercises + doing a PRMC style test w/ bleeps. I was just doing that sort of workout every session and not actually giving my body time to recover -banghead- Currently doing a mix of easier and harder sessions throughout the week.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Fair, yeah that sounds good. I reckon its definitely worthwhile going to failure once a week or so with the bodyweight exercises + doing a PRMC style test w/ bleeps. I was just doing that sort of workout every session and not actually giving my body time to recover -banghead- Currently doing a mix of easier and harder sessions throughout the week.

haha yeah I made that mistake before going all out start of the week and wondering why I was getting worse as the week went on not realising I was doing the same exercise 5/6 days in a row!
I like the sound of doing the 1st set to failure then half the next few sets I’ve not tried that so I’ll give these gainers ago for a bit and see how I progress with that.