Gaining weight While doing C/V

brownie123

Reaction score
Ok i had my Re-medical today and i passed JUST.
I weighed 60.4KG wich was just enough to carry through to my PJFT.

What I Run Now:-

1.5 M = 9:51 [my personal best]
3 M = Around 22 minutes
1 M Pace = 6-6:20

My AFCO said that i want to be comfortabely 63-64kg and i want to be getting 9:30 and below in my 1.5mile. Thing is i run 5 days a week 2 times a day and doing that im struggling to gain weight as i go out running and lose it all. My metabolism is really fast. Im eating Lean Meat, Brown Bread, Rice, Pasta. But im still struggling to gain weight.

I do weights to try and build muscle as muscles weighs more; does anyone have a Weights circuit i could use? The max weight i have is around 45KG.
Is there any other last resort that will help me put on weight while doing that much C/V? Sorry ive asked this question before but the hardest challenge for me is putting on weight :dinner: THANKS ALL =]

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
well mate instead of water have lucozade dinner exchange brown bread for white bread, start having sugar in tea and eat more fatty meats. this will give u weight not muscle. muscle is hard to get if u dont constantly keep training to maintain it but fatty weight isnt and will stay there untill you work it off. u can have some of my fat if u like doc said im 5kg overweight on my medical ^^

Willz

Reaction score
Brownie.....my friend has the same problem as u he finds it really difficult 2 put on weight but he uses protein shakes and weight gaining shakes there high in calories and they also put on muscle instead of fat so u will see urself improving as well as getting bigger!............u can get them at holland and barrett or a good gym will usually do them!

Lee

Reaction score
eat more!

running 5 times a week 2x a day seems way to much. iknow they want u to be fit, but not a medal winning olympic athlete.

i do 1.5 miles on a monday,3or5 miles on a wednesday, 7or more on a friday
the days in between i do uper body stuff. rest one of the days at the weekend and do some sort of activity the other, hill walking, snowboardin. just somethin other than running.

if i trained like that id have to eat a horse a day to stop me from loosing weight.

just my opinion though, some people might tell u different.

brownie123

Reaction score
u can have some of my fat if u like doc said im 5kg overweight on my medical ^^

Wish i could mate *text deleted*; 5kg would do me just nicely. I eat alot but for some reason the weight just wont go on ! ill show you an example of my daily diet

6:00am - Bowl of porridge with a banana

9:00am - Meat filled sandwich

12:00am - Large bowl of pasta w/ either dolmio sauce or tuna & mayonaise

2:00pm - Meat filled sandwich

5:00pm - Whatevers being cooked; usualy chicken, meat pies, ham salads etc.

10:00pm - 4 rounds of toast [brown bread] with a banana

Might have to resort to protein shakes;

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
bloody hell mate if i eat that id be a whale....... swap *text deleted* bread for white bread and keep that up and ease of the training abit and add a bag or crisps here and there and you will be fine mate.. oh and the odd mars bar :P

Zefan

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you're running far too often.

5 days a week is too much on its own, let alone twice a day!

Cut it down to once every other day.

brownie123

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you're running far too often.

5 days a week is too much on its own, let alone twice a day!

Cut it down to once every other day.

Yeah i been thinking mate im *text deleted* cut my CV down and do alot more upper body training hopefully any fat i get will turn into muscle. Im thinking of running

Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri/ 3 miles and sunday 5 miles. Hopefully this will work ! :) thanks all

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Wish i could mate *text deleted*; 5kg would do me just nicely. I eat alot but for some reason the weight just wont go on ! ill show you an example of my daily diet

9:00am - Meat filled sandwich

Might have to resort to protein shakes;

9:00am - Meat filled sandwich and 2 hard boiled eggs

1:00pm - Protein Shake

7:00pm (After work out) - Protein Shake, use a blender and mix in 4 Weetabix

Cool Hand Luke

Reaction score
Brownie;
I've always found a good post-workout shake (PWO) immediately after training keeps me from dropping weight. Mine usually takes the form of:
50g Dextrose
20-30g Protein
2/3 tbs honey
3-5g BCAA's
3g Creatine

Basically though, you are not gaining weight because you are not in a positive energy balance (consuming more claoires than you are burning off).

If I've ever wanted to lose or gain weight; I've kept a food diary of absolutely everything I've eaten over a 5 day period for e.g. then added up my daily energy intake and averaged it out over the 5 days. You then know roughly how many calories a day will keep you at your present bodyweight. Then simply, to gain weight I would usually put in an extra 500 kcal each day and bang my weight would be up. Granted it would not be pure muscle, but a mixture of water, glycogen and some chub.

If you struggle to squeeze in the extra calories though, I would recommend:
http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=6709

It's certainly not the healthiest weight gain shake and many would argue whether they are of any use at all, but it's a very quick and easy way to bump up your total energy intake.