Gaining Weight

newtothesite

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Alright guys, I don't actually know if I am going to join the Marines (might join the Army instead), but I posted something like this a while back. I was asking about tips on gaining weight etc. I have gained about a stone and a half in a month or two. I'm 6"1 but only still weigh about 135lb. So, it's stopped going on as quickly as it was at the start, and I'm looking for ways to start it up again.

I was thinking about getting muscle/weight gain shakes, (I want to gain both), but was wondering which one would be more effective as I'd probably get one or the other.

Does anyone have any other tips on how I can get the weight going on again?

Thanks guys!

PoyserRM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hey *text deleted*, i tried the weight gain and personally it didnt do much for me, however, everybody is different but what worked for me was eating more meals a day like 1 meal every 2 hours, for me personally it has helped me gain weight and although i lose quite abit because of intense training i always seem to put it back on

Can i just ask why your considering the army to the royal marines?

good luck anyway *text deleted*

newtothesite

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi mate, answering your question, it's just because there would be like 2 years before I went into anything so I haven't decided yet.

Also, I am eating loads more than I used to, it seems like I don't have the appetite to up it any more. That's why I am wondering if anyone has any... 'special' tips.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ah well thats true officially it is 2years but a lot of guys get to do stuff earlier.

As for weight i have a similar problem gaining, weight shakes i found didnt do a whole lot for me apart from they increased my appetite, use them as well as meals and you will become hungrier.

hope that helps somewhat. I think not sure but muscle and weight gain are probably very similar things.

newtothesite

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi. If weight shakes make you more hungry, that's good for me.

I just need to know which type of shake is better, and if anyone has any other dietry tips.

pepper

Reaction score
theres loads on the market,but maximuscle is by far the best a all round product (in my opinion) you target specific areas etc, but youll pay ,prior to training for rm i found that a happy medium was a product called "usn" got good muscle gains with this and works out ALOt cheaper got a bit of wind with this stuff but bearable.
Not 100% if they do a weight gain plan like you want check website but maxi defo do
hope this helps

newtothesite

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cool I had a look on the Maximuscle site, couldnt find USN. I got recommended Creatine by someone else.

rety

Reaction score
what is your training like, you can eat all day and will just put on fat, which i guess you dont want.

as you have 2 years i would suggest to cut down any running/swimming, basicly any cardio work that is just going to burn more calories and so you have to eat even more, and start heavy weight training, this will build muscle, once you are happy with your weight you start cardio and cut down on the weights to just maintain the muscle.

putting weight on all comes down to calories consumed and calories burned, you eat more than you use = putting weight on. you want to find out your BMR (basal metabloic rate) (google it) this is how much you need to eat to keep at the weight you are now (this number is simply the calories you need to stay alive not indcluding ANY exercise) depending on how much exercise you do everyday like walking etc you will need to add on more calories, when you find out how much you burn just in a normal day of your life add 500 while doing weights. you want to split this down into 5/6 meals a day eat about every 3 hours from when you wake up.

weigh yourself no more than weekly and always at the same time of the day, in the morning right after going to the toilet, this takes out the natural changes you have from eating/drinking throughout the day. you want to be gaining no more than 2lbs a week to start with any more than this and it WILL just be fat you are putting on, after a while the increase should go down to 1lb of muscle per week(you always gain more just starting out)

weightgainers and protien drinks are great, they are mainly used for convinience when you don't have time to make anything, don't spend to much time fussing about the brand, look at the label, what is in it? weight gainsers will have mainly carbs and some protien, protien drinks will be just about all protien. price is the main thing to worry about, big brand = big price.

your apitite will come, mine did, you will find yourself forcing it down for the first month or so but soon be comfortable with it (maybe a little to hungry) another great thing about shakes, they arn't half as filling as a full meal. creatine can be thought of as a little extra, wont help at all for endurance sports though.

anything else just ask:blink1: