games causing injury

matty630

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
just spoke to my mate who i was on RT with before i got MD, he said he was in the gym the other day and the PTI's decided to play gladiators, which the lads had to run at each other as fast as they could holding blue mats and knock you opponent to the ground, which resulted in one lad fracturing his wrist in two places and getting MD'd and some lads loosing teeth. He said the game was pointless. This really p*text deleted**es me off, the lads dream of becoming a royal marine flushed down the toilet (for now) all for the humour of the PTI's. Don't get me wrong im all for a bit of physical contact and know there's to be injuries whilst in RT. But not when your all made to be looking like d*ckheads playing stupid games and getting injured, seems to me at was all for them to have a laugh. Are games like this in the syllabus or just off the books?

M

MTW

its all fun and games i suppose, but that is a little bit stupid

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
maybe there was some tension or morale issues that they thought they could sort out with a bit of rough, or maybe there were just a couple of *text deleted* on the training team, happens everywhere.

MT6690

Reaction score
thats pretty mental, didnt think they would do stuff like that, but then again on my PRMC, the Man City fan-who was our PTI-made me do 30 press ups 2 minutes before our press up assessment, *text deleted*...didnt do much, but i could feel it.

Im just gone put duck tape over my MUFC tattoo next time.

MT

Nutty_Edwards

Reaction score
Yeh it does seem pretty strange, but i agree with seedytucker

That was probably used to raise morale or relieve tension within the recruits

although you dont exactly want to join up, and get injured by a bit of fun...

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I would say no, Im not doing that. I don't see how that has anything to do with training for the Royal Marines, and would apply to speak with the Captain, or the Chaplain. Sure, the training team might give me a hard time, but as long as they give me a hard time, doing proper training " CLIMB THAT ROPE ! , GIMME 20 PUSH UPS ! ", that I can understand...

It's always kinda agitated me, cause I know a friend of mine had to play rugby in the mud, during the mud runs. He ended up tearing his knee slipping in the mud. Stuff like that are just accidents waiting to happen. They don't make you any stronger at all.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
a solider's job isn't to double guess orders though (within reason-geneva treaty etc), i reckon if you said no like that you'd get a bloody good dressing down.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
However know there are such things as "illegal orders" I dont know the ins and outs of it so I cant really comment. But I do know that if someone above you gives you a ridiculous order, such as go and cover your hair in shoe polish, you can say no, and are within your rights to.
However I think in this situation I wouldnt mind as I weight 14 stone hahaha.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Army

to me that sort of thing sounds a bit like army mentality or paras. The marines aren't about pointless activities.

Some of the sh1t we were made to do in army basic was ridiculous!
We were once told to shape our berets the wrong way for an evening inspection at 10pm any one with a sh1t shaped beret, got given extra duties, and of course the beret had to be shaped the right way for morning inspection!

Another one was we all had to change rooms 1 hour before afternoon inspection, move all our kit, civvies etc, then move it back for evening inspection.

Oh, and we had to dry the sinks and shower cubicle for morning inspection (7am) everyday. no water.

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I know that lad broke his wrist and that's a shame. I think it kinda sounds like fun.

When i was younger me and my friends used to put duvets over our heads and just run at each other, we both lost a couple teeth doing that.

Brekaing wrist is bad I think , but the lost of a few teeth is no biggy.

chris1988

Reaction score
SH!T thats mental, i still want this application process to speed up tho, i *text deleted* b there doin that :(, bt ye thats like they want ppl to drop out so y not give them stupid activities?? i thought they needed marines in afghanistan:S

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
However know there are such things as "illegal orders" I dont know the ins and outs of it so I cant really comment. But I do know that if someone above you gives you a ridiculous order, such as go and cover your hair in shoe polish, you can say no, and are within your rights to.
However I think in this situation I wouldnt mind as I weight 14 stone hahaha.
My brother is a Drill Sergeant over here in Canada, and he can no longer give bogus orders like this. 10 years ago, yea, he could of. Now a soldier can go to his commanding officer if he feels bullying, racial, or physical abuse is happening. The repercussions of doing something like that nowadays can be pretty bad. I just remember in the Commando on the Front Line T.V show, the one stunt lad went to the commanding officer cause he believed he was being bullied.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
yeah i don't think he thought he was being bullied, i think he just wanted an out. or if he was bullied it was *text deleted* he was so arrogant. who joins the marines so they can further their career as a stuntman???

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe he was a bit of a wimp, still, it shows that you still have rights. You shouldn't just do whatever anyone tells you, officer or not. There is a difference between taking orders, and thinking for yourself.

Jaycee

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's very easy to sit at home and criticise regarding a few selected highlights on TV and the full facts are not known. However this lad did complete his training having been at CTC for a considerable time and is now a trained rank. Lots of lads join the Marines not intending to make it a long term career, there is no shame in that.

Good on him for having the grit and determination to see training through to successful completion, because it certainly isn't easy to do when backtrooped/injured.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
good point well made. still think he was a bit of a wally

Robfo

Reaction score
I spoke to a mate of mine last night who knows him and apparantly he's in Afghan at the moment