gardening

TheGeek

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
So....

Not a thread on flower potting, more the hard work.

Do you guys do, or enjoy doing heavy lifting in the garden and consider it a good workout?

I'm not thinking would you do it rather than work out but maybe one day in lieue of training?

For instance a couple of years ago my brother and I redid the folks garden, which involved a lot of tree removal, wood chopping and heavy lifting, I dug a 6x6x12 pond and removed rocks the size of my old mans dog from the hole, and honestly some of the best training I've had.

Last year I had to remove a lot of old concrete from our garden to make it safe for the little one, also a great workout, and over the next few weeks I'm putting up a fence, which will involve a lot of shifting slabs and digging holes.

Anyone else use the mundane DIY as training, or am I damaged in the head?

Geek

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
There's a landscape gardener at the MMA Conditioning class I go to, who was unable to shoulder a punchpag recently because he'd fitted a fence the day before and burnt out his shoulders. You know it must be a good strength workout when you've got DOMS in your shoulders.

And when I got back from the jungle in the summer I tested my Parang on all the overgrown stuff in the garden and found that, when combined with tidying up the mess it caused, it was a surprisingly good workout. Digging holes and lifting slabs is tough stuff, too.

hlauste

Reaction score
i agree any form of manual work is good for you! im a bricklayer, so allways outside doing something physical, we also do alot of groundworks so digging and shifting heavy gear is often all in a days work. all in all doing that as well as training cant be bad for you

JamieC

Reaction score
I bought some flowers today for my mum's mothers day present, still can't lift my arms.

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I bought some flowers today for my mum's mothers day present, still can't lift my arms.
Did you pick them from a neighbours garden and he broke your arms for it?

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I removed a few bushes and couple small trees last year as the guy in the house before just seemed to plant random crap everywhere. Doms the day after wielding the axe around all day, it was a hangout. And the year before the same in the front plus dug out the whole garden and put down new soil. Id love to do it for a living enjoy it.

I used to work for Morgan est about 5 years ago, digging out holes in the winter fixing broken water mains and services, it's eventful. I did back filling for a while too, wackers are good fun but there dam heavy lifting them off a grab wagon all day.

Oz25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As a landscaper I can confirm just how good a workout it is. I do anything from laying patios, which can involve digging 3 tonne of soil, carrying 2x2 slabs all day long, and mixing sand and cement all day.

Other work I do involves climbing trees and de-limbing, felling trees, and carrying heavy logs. If I'm not doing that, I could be carrying heavy rolls of turf all day and laying it. It is a brilliant workout, working every body part.

Another great workout is labouring on brickies. I did this one summer climbing scaffolding carrying bags of cement, and blocks. I had 2 clamps which I had in each hand, in these clamps I carried 4 heavy breeze blocks in each. I did this everyday 8 hrs a day. Awesome workout!

Lead Poison1981

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
A days work for me could be tree cutting, digging (upto 6ft holes), lifting steelwork, sledge-hammering often in rural places.

I have had hard days where I've ditched going to the gym because of the amount of graft done in the day.