Geat interview but cant join for 5 years!

djcid

Reaction score
just had my interview went really well fitness strength is tip top knowledge or marines history etc etc etc, but about 2 months ago i went to court *text deleted* i got banned for 6 months from driving..... ok so what??? but if u have to go to court and pay a fine you cant join any of the armed forces for 5 years! go to bloody prison and u have to wait 7. should of just killled sum1 instead???? only 2 more years.

any1 else heard of this or gone through this? am devistated properly gutted and dont know what to do with myself. am 22 5 years ill be 27 and no where near as good as a possible recruit as i am now. anyways ne1 else had issues with this???? cheers.

:sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2:

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i did when i was 18, so i just concentrtated on travelling and getting to uni. though i left it a bit longer than i planned i'm now going through selection at 25

djcid

Reaction score
am not the only one then, 25 yeh fair enough but 5 years time. am not 18 have done all my education and am lookin for sumthing to really get into now not to have to do another 5 years of sumthing (chefing) then try all over again at 27!. dont know if i can wait that long that late in my career.....

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
put it on the back burner, keep your fitness up and see how you feel at 27, in the meantime build on your fall back plan, it can always jsut be what yull do after RM. just dont let mid-twenties spread get the better of you!

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
aw man i feel for you....thats terrible news hope you get it eventually tho:sad:

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Are you sure? I'm not saying it isn't but that is harsh if it is true.

Mate, Ninja is back on Monday and ask him to have it comfirmed, because that is harsh. Are you sure it wasn't "if you don't pay your fine" you can't join for 5 years.

Was it joy riding or something or just normal speeding etc, don't have to answer if it is a private question.

Plus saw banged up on channel 5 and one of those lads had trouble with the courts including fines and he is planning on joining the army.

So don't give up yet.

MI64

Reaction score
just had my interview went really well fitness strength is tip top knowledge or marines history etc etc etc, but about 2 months ago i went to court *text deleted* i got banned for 6 months from driving..... ok so what??? but if u have to go to court and pay a fine you cant join any of the armed forces for 5 years! go to bloody prison and u have to wait 7. should of just killled sum1 instead???? only 2 more years.

any1 else heard of this or gone through this? am devistated properly gutted and dont know what to do with myself. am 22 5 years ill be 27 and no where near as good as a possible recruit as i am now. anyways ne1 else had issues with this???? cheers.

Mate I am an Army Recruiter and thats not the case in the Army
Banned from driving will reduce your job choice to Infantry and you can join as soon as the fines paid????

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You might be a far better man at 27, fitness+life experience and maturity=good marine in my books

I'm 27 now, and I know that at 22, I was an immature *text deleted* a lot of the time.

stanley

Reaction score
I've got a mate who was always in trouble with the law and has even been to jail. He walked into an AFCO one day, done some tests, decided he liked the idea of being an infantry parachutist, filled out his forms, went back for some interviews, done a selection weekend, waited a bit fully expecting to get a knock back at some point and then got his date to start training. He said nothing of his criminal past and slipped through the net. He freely admits though that he may not have been so lucky had he applied today.

sudetenland

Reaction score
Foreign Legion?

Join the French Foreign Legion, just ask a French policeman you want to join La Legion Etrangre, he'll know immediately and take you to the nearest recruiting station. All you need is a valid passport. The contract is 5 years, so you could do 5 years in the Legion then immediately after join the marines.

However the French Foreign Legion is probably the most intense military environment anywhere in the world. Maybe just apply again and be economical with the truth.

Hope I gave you a decent alternative. Good luck anyways.

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
think of it this way though, if you did 5 years with the legion then RT would be a walk in the park.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
not sure they'd let you into RM after serving in the legion

sudetenland

Reaction score
I think they would like it since you'd easily accept the discipline in the Royal Marines and physically you'd already be virtually perfect. I would however read about the legion a great deal before going, it is extremely tough but if you want a challenge its unbeatable.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
well as they're mercenaries it might be frowned on, the legion aren't exactly renowned for their morals. but as i said it's just what i think, not based on anything i heard

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
you know the legion do they just go where ever they're told and kill who ever ?

I mean do they get told to go to places to help people, how do they get involved in things ? I read a book about a guys experience... It was amazing book by a guy called Bill Pariss, great read about his training. Anyway he went to uganda with the legion that was because there was some French nationals trapped in a war zone and they had to go help them.

So do the legion only go places to help out french people or will people ask them for there help, like say if some ambassador of where ever (not france) get's stranded somewhere and it's too dangeourous to get him out could that country get in contact with the legion and will they deploy some troops to go and rescue them.. also could some crazy African dictator hire the legion to go and assassinate some other crazy african dictator ? Or do they only do nice things ?

Yes I expect someone to know the answers to these questions, haha

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
it's funny that everyone always calls the french pussies and they actually have an army of foreigners to fight for them, haha.

yeah I remember hearing or reading that basically the legion are expendable.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score

If you were convicted of a serious motoring offence (no insurance, drink drive, no licence, driving whilst banned, leaving the scene of an accident, motor vehicle theft, speeding in excess 100mph, etc) & have previous serious motoring offences then it is indeed 5 years rehabilitation from date of conviction, the fine must be proven paid & you must have you licence back.

If you have two or less serious motoring offences to your name then, if your careers adviser considers you an outstanding candidate otherwise, they may apply for a criminal conviction waiver at the 2.5 year point but there's no guarantee it will be granted.

The Army do indeed interpret the 1974 Rehabilitation of Offenders Act slightly differently to the Navy, but it depends on the offence.

If your ban was merely accumulation of points for speeding or similar, then it is viewed differently. By virtue of the fact you state you had to appear in court, the outward indications are that it was a serious motoring offence rather than a fixed penalty.

Good luck.

sudetenland

Reaction score
The legion is composed of 8,000 men from 150+ different countries, although its still predomiantly European. All are forced to learn French. They used to be outside French miltitary law and thus could be far more brutal towards their men. Now they are officially part of the French army but are significantly tougher.

They were formed in 1831 to rid Paris' streets of beggars, revolutionaries and general riff raff and were sent off to Algeria to establish France's African empire.

They fought in wars against the Arabs in the mid 1800's then the Vietnamese in the 1880's, (creating French Indochina), fought in WW1, Arab wars and WW2, then the Indochina war 1946-1954 where they were wiped out at Dien Bien Phu, then the Algerians from 1954-1962. With the French Empire basically gone by the mid 60's the Legion mainly responds to instability and unrest in its former colonies. It is still based in Chad and Djibuuoit, Cote D'ivore and also French Guyana in South America not to mention Mayote and Tahiti. I believe 1,000 of them have just been sent off to Afghanistan as part of NATO.

The 2nd Parachute Regiment is the elite of the legion and is predominantly staffed by Britons and Germans. The legion is now a modern, well equipped force.

They get their reputation from the battle of Cameron on 30th April 1862 where some 60 legionairres fought 2,000 Mexicans, their captian Danjou being killed and the last 3 men bayonet charging Mexican cavalry. The Mexican commander was so impressed he allowed these 3 to live, take their flag back and Danjou's wooden hand which is a sacred symbol of the legion. The anniversary is celebrated every year. The romantic image of the legion is of misfits who are given a second chance in life, escaping from poverty, crime etc. However now selection is very strict indeed (only 4% pass).

Rememebr the legion are still useful to the French because they are cheap, include many ex-soldiers from other countries and becuase they are not French citizens (though you can apply to become one after 3 years) if they are killed or wounded the French public won't get too upset.

By the way you could always join the American armed forces. Speak you own language, fight for the same cause.