Getting a job!

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
I'm really struggling at the moment to find a job to support myself while I'm training. I'm in the fortunate position of living at home, so I only basically need money for paying my mother a small rent, gym membership and some petrol. I've stuck on my CV the A levels that I got, though none of the jobs I have gone for require any qualifications. Do you think that maybe this is holding me back? They're thinking, "Look at those A-Levels, he's off to a better job/uni the first chance he gets?" Or I am thinking too much into it?

I'm going for a job interview tonight. 18 hours a week, 5-8 AM Mon-Sat, cleaning Sainsbury's Car Park and Petrol Station. I'll end up taking home about £90 a week. Those hours will be perfect for me, so I really want to get it. Any advice/thoughts?

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Did Sainsburys offer you this job? If so those times are kick ass and wouldn't mind applying for something like it myself.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
It's through an agency that supplies cleaning staff to Sainsburys. I don't know whether it's just my local store, or if that's how they do it nationwide.

Embarrasingly, I've already been turned down for a night shelve-stacking job at Sainsburys. :rock:

SR

Reaction score
Try something like bar work at a hotel or club.

I work behind the bar at a hotel that has 3 function rooms. 14 hours a week 7pm-2am Fri and Sat nights, £68 a week without tips which usually knocks it up to over £100 a week.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
did you now that some companies will turn you down for work if they think you are too smart or too good for the job. its terrible, two of my friends applied for the same job and the thick as *text deleted**text deleted* one got it and the smart one got turnt away.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah i have been turned down for three jobs since being in the UK, i just wanted something simple like working in a warehouse but because of my degree and work experience they said i was over qualified...over qualified to shift boxes about, what the hell!

MeridiaNx

Reaction score
Must've just been a run of bad luck for you I guess.

With A-Levels I worked for six months on a production line in a car factory to fund travel, and with my degree I've been doing deliveries for Argos/Comet etc. and working as a Labourer on a building site. Great use of all that education ;-p

Having said that, the agency placing me for the delivery jobs did react rather oddly to me getting bolshy about a few unsatisfactory practices of theirs by offering me a full salaried job working for them hehe. So haven't really come up against any prejudice for being over-qualified yet.

Congrats on the job though :)

ant

Reaction score
hi people i would like to say i am out of work at the moment,
i am a qualified painter and decorator and i have phoned all companies and sent my c.v off and nobody will employ me its a pain in the backside because ive been to college for 4 years and this is the way it turns out,very frustraiting.

Im in the same boat i live at home fortuntly and training but just need a bit of money just to pay my mum and dad thats all,i think its got to do with all the people coming over to this country getting most of the jobs because there getting paid for less money to do the same job.

SR

Reaction score
hi people i would like to say i am out of work at the moment,
i am a qualified painter and decorator and i have phoned all companies and sent my c.v off and nobody will employ me its a pain in the backside because ive been to college for 4 years and this is the way it turns out,very frustraiting.

Im in the same boat i live at home fortuntly and training but just need a bit of money just to pay my mum and dad thats all,i think its got to do with all the people coming over to this country getting most of the jobs because there getting paid for less money to do the same job.
I was the same as you mate, qualified bricklayer but nobody would take me on.

So as i put above i started working at a hotel behind the bar which has 3 function rooms, 14 hours a week 7pm-2am Fri and Sat nights, £68 a week without tips which usually knocks it up to over £100 a week.

Try something like that, or in a club.

ant

Reaction score
arire mate im going to look into that because im getting stressed out being off i need to be active or i start going insane haha theres the devonshire by mine ill have a check there mate thanks

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yer i agree bar or hotel work best :D

i know a few people who work there saying its the best, working in town (liverpool) mate gets a lot with tips, amazing. no tax either. guys get the bar stuff i am trying to.

SR

Reaction score
yer i agree bar or hotel work best :D

i know a few people who work there saying its the best, working in town (liverpool) mate gets a lot with tips, amazing. no tax either. guys get the bar stuff i am trying to.
I would say it is the best job you can get for the hours etc.

Leaves plenty of time for training during the week, as you say get plenty of tips, also if you work in a hotel you get the odd lonley woman ;)