Getting back into it

lewp1

Reaction score
Hello lads, one month ago I was in top shape and ready for my PJFT, I was doing my return run with a time of 9.48. I let myself down and was not in the right frame of mind due to personal reasons. My plan now is to start again and get back into it, my questions to you are

Is it worth starting off with a Mock fitness test tomorrow to see whereabouts I'm at?

What should I consist my runs of such as distance, times etc.

Can anyone give me a suggested meal plan or even a brief description?

Cheers

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, start with a fitness test in order to see where you will need improving. Do the mock PJFT and then a set each of press ups, sit ups and pull ups.

Runs - for the PJFT you will want to be doing mocks and intervals. For the intervals do the first mile and a half as normal, minutes rest, and then do the second mile and a half as 12 X 200m sprints, 6 X 400m, 4 X 600m or however you want to break it up.

Diet - it’s all personal preference really but as long as you’ve got high carbs and protein and some fats and plenty of water then your good to go. This is what I have:

Breakfast - one sachet of porridge made with almond milk and a chopped up banana in it.

Lunch - typically a sandwich of some sort, at the moment I quite like having mackerel sandwich

Dinner - one chicken breast, mixed veg and a sachet of ainsely Harriot cous cous

Hope this helps

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hello lads, one month ago I was in top shape and ready for my PJFT, I was doing my return run with a time of 9.48. I let myself down and was not in the right frame of mind due to personal reasons. My plan now is to start again and get back into it, my questions to you are

Is it worth starting off with a Mock fitness test tomorrow to see whereabouts I'm at?

What should I consist my runs of such as distance, times etc.

Can anyone give me a suggested meal plan or even a brief description?

Cheers

So what happens now regarding your application if you don't take the pjft after passing your medical within the 14 days sein as you didn't do you have to take the medical again?

Best thing you can do is just go and try a mock version of it and see how you do then go from there!

If you was passing it before just stick to what you was originally doing same with what ever you was eating no need to change if you was already passing it.

Good luck

RunningFree09

Reaction score
Hyperhippo has pretty much nailed it in one post, good effort!

The only thing I would add is if you can get a route sorted then this a killer but it will work as long as you put 100% effort in consistently. Running similar to the sprint sections hyperhippo suggested and adding some more leg endurance into it as well.

Find a route of 1.5 miles, ideally with nice long ish hill on it or near it.

-Smash out 1.5m in 12 mins.
-At the hill do 5-10 hill sprints, run up and walk down focussing on breathing. Do not stand still throughout!!
-Walk down to the bottom of the hill and without stopping go straight into 1.5m return run!

This may sound a bit intense but you will smash PJFT out of the park provided you are training correctly and will set you in great stead for PRMC.

For an idea on improvements, my PJFT return time was 9.09 my PB outside was 8.46, after 2 weeks of these lovely exercises my PB is now down to 8.23 and I still have 2 weeks before PRMC so it definitely works mate.

Good luck, let us know how you get on mate!!

New Threads