Getting Fit 4 Marines-PLEASE HELP

brownie123

Reaction score
Im 16 years old and in the process of joining the royal marines ( Stage 4:-Interview & Medical Check ) I passed my medical ok and interview but got defeered as im only 58-59KG and you need to be 60Minimum so im looking to be comfortabely in the 60's about 63-66. Ive gone downhill abit and i want to be doing my Pre-Fitness in around a month. I got a few questions for you all:)

Whats the best food to eat so im not going to lose weight when running.

I havnt done training in a week because ive had some problems but before that i was running around 2-3 Miles a day 5 days a week(mon-fri), am i doing TOO much training? Im running half and half (field&track) so i get used to both and im running with nothing on me e,g weights,rucksacks Should i run with rucksacks or not? I can run around a 7-7.5 Minute Mile and i understand i have to run 1.5 in 10minutes 45 so my question is:-

What should i run a day, what with and how many times a week.

How many pressups & situps & pullups a day?

Should i be doing different exercises e,g crunches to strengthen my abs & others for my strength.

Any other tips would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Adam

chew1e

Reaction score
eat lots! maybe cut back on some of the running and encorperate some weight training to build some lean muscle. You want to be eating plenty of protein, maybe get a tub of protein shake for after a workout. Try working out specific muscle groups in one workout e.g. chest & triceps. But importantly read up on it, know what your doing and youll get the maximum benifits.

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
When I was on my PRMC they said there was a new guideline in force that said you have to weigh over 70kg to be assessed to the same standard as everyone else.

Ninja, can you clarify this? There wasn't anyone on our PRMC who weighed less than 70kg so I don't know what would happen if you're lighter.

brownie123

Reaction score
So i may have to be 70KG+? I spoke to Tony at Lincoln Careers office the other day and it was 60KG, Dam i sure hope it isnt 70KG im struggling as it is to get to 60. Thanks

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted*, I sure as hell hope I don't have to be 70kg, I'm 16, 5ft 8 and 61kg and they told me to be ideally around 65. Your best bet is to eat regular, 5 smaller meals a day (also helps posture apparently).

The more you work out, the more you'll want to eat, the more you eat the more you being to weigh, working out often means that food won't get time to turn to fat it's just going to go into muscle and muscle is quite supringly heavy so over time you'll put weight on (especially if you pass PRMC). Don't worry, just eat plenty and make sure you keep exercising!

Ash

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
if your really sturggling, throw some weight gain, like milo or something into your diet, obviously don't go mad on it, just drink one before bed or something like that. I know what you mean about struggling to put weight on though, I am the same, but seem to have sorted myself getting to 75k and can maintain that weight at the moment with steak and chicken being the main part of my diet along with chicken. WHen I up my running even more though, I can see me losing some weight.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just some info gor you fella, its 1.5 miles in 10 minutes dead, not 10:45 :)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Ninja, can you clarify this? There wasn't anyone on our PRMC who weighed less than 70kg so I don't know what would happen if you're lighter.
60Kg is indeed minumum weight to be passed fit for entry into the Royal Marines as a Commando.

However, if you're well over 6 foot tall, 60Kg is probably rather light on the BMI scale. Your AFCO will tell you what your target weight is- in most cases it's minumum 60Kg unless you are very tall.

brownie123

Reaction score
Im 5FT 8 (171CM) & 59-61KG depending on a good day/bad day so i want to be steadily in the 60s around 65kg+.

I take Anabol-Amp(Creatine) Tablets 3 times a day, Morning,Afternoon,Night.

My Diet is usualy.

Breakfast:- 4 Rounds of Toast, Glass Of Water

Snack:- 2 Packets of Crisp & an Apple

Dinner:- Bowl of Pasta, 2 rounds of bread and a glass of water

Snack:- Donut & a sandwich

Tea:- Whatevers being cooked

Late snack (around 9-11pm):- 4 Rounds of toast and a packet of crisp

I eat alot but i think i may be eating the wrong foods? i see dodger that you put you eat chicken and beef etc, is that everyday? and in what portions?

I tryed taking some, vanilla weight gain but its wierd, personally i think *text deleted*'e bough cheap crap it was £10 for 2kg Tub and when i mix it it just stays powdery can anyone Recomend any brand of weight gain?

Thanks all.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
If it's any help my dad uses Maximuscle, they do a wide variety of drinks and capsules that aid muscle growth to fat loss to recovery and so on. They're all legal and they abide by not only military drug laws but olympic drug laws too.

Hope this helps.

chew1e

Reaction score
you need to get your self a shaker cup to mix it up properly, otherwise it'll be lumpy crap.

Zefan

Reaction score
That's a seriously large amount of carbs, although if you're doing a bucketload of running then I can't see it being too much of a problem.

My advise would be to cut down on the starchy carbs by eating eggs or cereal in the morning and to cut the crisps entirely - replacing with fruit.

Lloydy101

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yea mate cut out the crisps they ar dreadfull!!

after every workout try and get some protein in as well as carbs! maybe bacon and eggs or if your not keen on protein shake drink lots of milk...

i am 6 ft 5 and weigh 105 kgs and i can still run for miles and lift by body weight. its amzing once you start training hard you will be eating so much! im never seen without a meat sandwich hahahaha

in your sandwiches include meat...its ok to have the carbs but not to much

hope that helps!