Getting fitter and Bigger.

LastMan

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i just have a one question that i would real appreciate being answered.
I'm 5'7 and weigh 55 kilos, 9 stone dripping wet and i can never put weight on. Every time i try and put weight on by eating loads it usually comes off again when i do my training. I simply cannot eat twice as much as i do normally (around the 2500 calorie mark) because im not a big guy and i cannot afford to anyway. How long would it take to put on 5 kilos? Also is skateboarding a bad form of exercise because apart from running and cycling i spend everyday skating and have been for the last 5 years.

thanks for any response, greatly appreciated.

Bobby Young

Reaction score
Being light aint a bad thing mate, you'll find the push-ups and pull-ups easier than the heavier blokes. I bmx as well as doing my regular fitness so i would't stop your skate boarding, just mix it with a routine that will help you for both you pjft and your prmc!

USMC 1802

US Marines Officer
Reaction score
I managed to put on about 5 lbs. over about 2 months (better than nothing). What i did was eat near constantly. The cheap way was to buy cartons and cartons of cup of noodle soup things, and eat quite a few of them throughout the day, especially before bed. Also, as i was working in fast food, i ate at least 1 large hamburger everyday, as well as fries and some sort of shake.

Having said that, i think the key to my wieght gaining was eating more, and eating more frequently. As you pointed out, the hard part about that is doing it on the cheap; that's why i'd recommend those inexpensive cup noodles. Don't wait until you feel your stomach growling, either. I never tried any supplements or protein drinks, so i can't comment on that aspect. But, i did cut out a large amount of running, which i'm not too happy about (i've yet to do the PJFT). My advice: Eat.

VERY unscientific, but I hope this helps.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'd be cut back on the skateboarding mate-the last thing you want to do is pick up a stupid injury by jumping down a flight of stairs or something

0.01%

Reaction score
Not that it helps but i've got to be carefull not to put any weight on!! Weight easily gets added to my frame and it's a constant pain in the arse!

I know it's not the most obvious of things, and it may be poor advice (i'm far from clued up on this sort of thing) but maybe drinking a couple of pints of full fat milk a day might help? When I was looking to drop a bit of weight I changed from semi skimmed to skimmed (like white water, I wouldn't recomend it taste wise :doh:) and other little things like that and it seemed to help. I also cut down on the carbs massively, only ate what I needed to train so ended up eating a lot less bread and things like that. So do the opposite and eat bread with everything, should store itself and add weight if you're not burning it off. Best thing is milk and bread are also cheap compared to other things so not a strain on the purse strings.

If you are as young as some of the others on here (16/17) then you may still have plenty of growing and could bulk out a load yet. If not then sorry for sounding patronizing!

Also remember that chicken and eggs can be bought on the cheap (ish) and if you eat a lot of either then you are getting a good ammount of protien which will help add muscle.

Hope that some of that helps!

stevej

Reaction score
loose weight

hey guys, i gave up bodybuilding about 4 months ago and its the last thing u want for the royal marines, just work on stamina, push ups, chin ups sit ups etc, if u *text deleted* get big do it after you've past the 8 months!

LastMan

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice fellas. I think ill be toping up on cupa soups from now on then.
Also, like duffy noted, skateboarding is a high-impact sport and everyday my knees ache like mad. I dont want to go see my doctor just yet about this because im worried it will go on my medical records. If i do stop skateing, can i replace it with brisk walking say 5 miles a day with 10kilos on my back (i just want to know if that is a good form of exercise)?

Thanks fellas.

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've been using protein shakes for a few weeks and I've put on a kilo. I've been 70kg for over 8 months straight and now I'm 71kg *text deleted*. Not sure if its extra muscle mass or the fact that protein bulks you up inside.

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
At my PRMC the PTI told us not to worry about gaining big muscles because you'll just loose them. They are after lean, mean running machines that can bang out loads of body weight exercises.

Ipodbob

Reaction score
I use elite whey protein almost every and consume a massive amount of food, so much sometimes im almost literally sick from eating. Yet as i work as a tree surgeon and and all the extra phz + biking to work each day 7 there and 7 back, i cant put on any weight to save my life.

im 6ft 3 and weigh in at just over 11 stone, a lean mean fighting machine. Well hope to be :rock:

Yes the backpack speed walk is a good idea i'd say preferably up hills if there are any near you, or you could just run on a football field when ya run, helps a lot with my knees. Less impact

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i just have a one question that i would real appreciate being answered.
I'm 5'7 and weigh 55 kilos, 9 stone dripping wet and i can never put weight on. Every time i try and put weight on by eating loads it usually comes off again when i do my training. I simply cannot eat twice as much as i do normally (around the 2500 calorie mark) because im not a big guy and i cannot afford to anyway. How long would it take to put on 5 kilos? Also is skateboarding a bad form of exercise because apart from running and cycling i spend everyday skating and have been for the last 5 years.

thanks for any response, greatly appreciated.

The harder you train the more you will eat mate, ive noticed it myself. I used to weigh 69kg when i started training, now i weigh just under 77kg and thats just from doing *text deleted**text deleted* loads of press-ups and pull-ups and also having a correct diet. Im a short arse myself (5'7")
My mate whos currently in RT says that you should concentrate more on CV at the moment as you dont want to be carrying the extra bulk of muscle when your in training.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I simply cannot eat twice as much as i do normally (around the 2500 calorie mark) because im not a big guy and i cannot afford to anyway. How long would it take to put on 5 kilos?
i stumbled across this page thought it might help you out- it's from the English institute for sport and has quite a lot of useful info. this link is from their nutrition section:
http://www.eis2win.co.uk/gen/wha_sup_nut_01_home.aspx

itchy

Reaction score
i have the same problem no matter how much i eat i cant bulk out, im 5 11 without any fat just really want to bulk out but dont know best to do it, gym and rock climbin 3/4 times a week are do nothin!

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
it really is a matter of calories spent vs calories burned. that and perhaps age, until 22 i couldn't put on weight at all, now i'm fighting to make sure it's only the right sort of weight i gain!

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
At my PRMC the PTI told us not to worry about gaining big muscles because you'll just loose them. They are after lean, mean running machines that can bang out loads of body weight exercises.

True but the guy in the PRMC fitness book is pretty big! I hope I can get atleast that big and maintain when Im there.

As for OP you can gain weight, you just have a very fast metabolism. It's not expensive or time consuming to add more calories to your diet.

For example, get some oats, olive oil and peanut butter, mix them in a blender into a liquid and drink. With a decent amount that could be over a 1000 calories.

However like said unless you're under the required weight, no need really to add on more weight.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Good diet + training + maybe supppliments will bring your weight up.

As you will be training, the pressups, chinups etc all build muscle mass, if needs be to hit the minimum - do some weights, just dont body build.

LastMan

Reaction score
yea im 5 kilos under weight for 60 kg. otherwise i would have been down the afco last year. 5'7 55 kg and im 22 next month, times ticking away so i realy need to get this weight on.
If water weighs 1kg per litre, all i need to do is drink 5 litres of water yea? or would this result in cerebral edema?

sooty795

Reaction score
now then fellas

if you need to gain serious weight you need to cut right back on cardio, you can`t expect to do loads of cardio and gain weight because as you eat loads to put on weight you burn it straight off again by doing all the running, i put on 10kg in 5 months, this is how.

phase 1 : cut you cardio right back to once a week just to keep the fat off, then do weights, i go 3 x per week and do chest and tris monday, wednesday back and bi`s, sat legs and shoulders. 3 sets of 6-8 reps and increase your weight you lift week on week.
pick 3 exercise for each muscle group, ensuring you include bench press dead lift and squats.
food: eat eat and eat more, you need 1 gram of protein per 1lb of body weight, every day. also eat carbs with every meal, visit the maximuslce website, not to buy, but to learn about food and training. find out how many cals you need per day from this web site. Get a weight gainer, something good, with about 500cal per shake take 2 a day.

also work on press ups pull ups etc.

idid this for 5 months and put on 10kg of lean mass, great strength gains as well, don`t listen to all this you can`t run with muscle on, as like me i now only weigh 67kg and you would weight 65kg, not massive by no means.

phase 2: once you are at the required weight and passed the medical, you need to switch your training from building to CV work, sprints, fartlek, runs etc, also keep up the circuits press up pull ups etc. you will loose some weight but keep up the eating and cal intake and you should only loose approx 2kg. get your times nailed then ready for pjft.

this is what i have done and it has worked for me, so please no snotty posts back.
gaining weight is simple, eat enough cal / protien and weight train to make sure it goes on as muscle not fat, if it`s not working your doing one of these wrong, try writing down everything you eat and work out the cals!

hope this help, pm me if you need any more help.