Getting Fitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshrowell

Reaction score
I'm 15, just about to start year 11 and I want to join the royal marines after I've done sixth form so I've got ages to get fitter but was just wondering if my routine is alright and want some advice on how to get my 1.5 mile run time down and get my pull ups, press ups and sit ups increased. This is what I do at the moment.

Work on muscle every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday

Press ups - 5 sets of 12
Sit ups - 5 sets of 20
Tricep dips - 3 sets of 15
Dumbbell curls - 5 sets of 6 with 12kg
Lunges - 5 sets of 5 with 12kg dumbbell in each hand
Plank - 3 sets of 30 seconds

Cardio every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday

Tuesday - Cycling with a club, average speed 20mph over 40+ miles, usually 44
Thursday - Cycling and running back to back, cycle 12 miles, run 3 miles
Sunday - 5+ mile run, usually 5 or 6 miles

My goal is to be able to do 80+ marine push ups, 80+ marine sit ups, 10+ marine pull ups, 1.5 mile run in 9 minutes or lower. I can do around 45 push ups in 2 mins, 50 sit ups in 2 mins, 2-3 pull ups, fastest 1.5 mile run is dead on 10:30. I eat and drink healthy. I weigh 63kg and my height is 5"7. Furthest I've ran is 7 miles, looking to put that up to 15 miles over the next 2-3 years.

Strick

Reaction score
Just quickly before I go to work, that's a nice average on the bike over that distance.

joshrowell

Reaction score
Cheers :) I've been cycling for about 2 months now so not too bad!

Fatboy

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
mate, id personally say to just keep doing what your doing, maybe add some hill sprints in there. the best way to improve your pushups, sit ups and pullups would be to keep smashing them out! maybe try out the evil russian program or something like that, hope this helps a bit :)

Jaymiee

Reaction score
struggling with pull ups? try the fighter pull up program by pavel! great program for your pull ups lad. keep smashing your circuits and as the others said do some fintan and hill sprints!

joshrowell

Reaction score
Thanks :) also, when I'm doing sit ups I always slide back and it's so annoying, does anyone have any tips to prevent this?

OSTV

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
put something on your feet mate e.g. a weight bottom of your bed just improvise but it will prevent you from sliding back

Strick

Reaction score
Cheers :) I've been cycling for about 2 months now so not too bad!

Nice one. Took me a while to get to averaging that sort of speed. Use to think 17mph average was fast. Did 25 miles at the weekend as part of a triathlon and managed just under 22mph average. Felt way slower though, obviously pushing myself harder than I thought.

Need to get out for a long cycle soon. Wanting to crack 100 (again) when the weather cools a bit, don't fancy doing it by myself though. I need some geeky road bike friends,

Status
Not open for further replies.