Getting grilled - Career Discussion & AIB

flippertyre

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am not so much posting a question, but rather sharing my experience as I hope that it can help others going through the Officer selection pipeline.

I was scheduled to take part in a "career discussion" and was naively fooled by the title. I was expecting a discussion about my expectations of a career with the RM's and some direction as to how I could achieve this and I couldn't have been more wrong!

I had prepared myself going into the call with some knowledge of the corps, current deployments, a bit about the direction in which I wanted to go etc. My answers were completely picked apart which caught me very much off guard as it was much more like a mock AIB interview than the career chat I had expected.

I thought this post would be helpful for others less prepared like myself going forward. Overall, it is very helpful preparation for any interview as it probes for clear answers, motivation and knowledge.

If you read this, my unsolicited advice is to prepare for it as though it is your AIB interview. I have read on this forum it is not part of the selection evaluation (thank God), as I was certainly nowhere near as prepared as I should have been, however I would be naive to think it doesn't influence application success. I was told I did not pass the career discussion and would have to retake it when I feel ready. On a positive note, the knock has given me even more drive to perfectly prepare for the next opportunity.

All the best!
FlipperTyre

Chelonian

Reaction score
On a positive note, the knock has given me even more drive to perfectly prepare for the next opportunity.
Thanks for the feedback. It will benefit those who follow.

Unsure if there has been a policy change or if your interviewer's individual style was more rigorous than the 'cosy chat' format. Either way, it was clearly an insight into the dissection interviews which you will face at AIB.

Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.