Getting into SF and Secret Services

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i've always woundered how people end up going about becoming memebers of MI5 and MI6, its not like they advertise it on the tele or in shop windows with posters.

do, for example, memebers and ex-members of SBS or SAS get called up?
and can the average Joe on the street kinda phone up and ask for a job.
and all this secret agent stuff. i swear you cant just call up and ask if you could be a special agent or something.

anyone know how this works at all?

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
My cousin works for MI5, but not as an agent, its an admin job, he seaches the internet and tracks down the stuff that shouldant be on the net and gets rid of it, somthing like that anyway but hes getting a job abroad and he has to learn a diff language, i think hes going to asia, and he has to get some kind of security training.

smallzy

Reaction score
My cousin works for MI5, but not as an agent, its an admin job, he seaches the internet and tracks down the stuff that shouldant be on the net and gets rid of it, somthing like that anyway but hes getting a job abroad and he has to learn a diff language, i think hes going to asia, and he has to get some kind of security training.

In *text deleted* sig it says you failed your medical due to hayfever...

WTF?

Can you explain that to me? Do you have REALLY severe hayfever? I honestly didn't think something like that could bar entry, I assumed everyone gets hayfever to a degree. I get it quite often in may-june I just take piriton or some *text deleted**text deleted* though. Bit worried now that you've failed. Unlucky mate thats *text deleted**text deleted*ed up, good luck with the appeal.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
actually they do advertise... *text deleted*
https://www.mi5careers.gov.uk/jobs.aspx
http://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/default.aspx?id=45&gclid=CLfuttmu3pQCFR0nEAodWWxCTQ
the other way is they actively recruit. some ranom guy approaches you and starts talking to you in a bar etc asking some odd qs he might be a recruiting agent.
a mate of mine applied recently but failed during the selection. you think marine's selection is tough... this is ridiculous, he can't tell me half of the stuff or why he failed. Though since then he got a new job and is away quite a bit. me and the mrs reckon he got in, he keeps saying he didn't. but no way of knowing...*text deleted*
plus the whole point of UKSF rather than SBS and SAS is so MI6/5 can make better use of SF. as far as i'm aware MI5/6 can call on them fairly easilly

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well they are obviously quite different as the UKSF are military and primarily used for combat, but they will often use each others services.

In the USA, their own version (the CIA) actually have branches that draw directly upon the US military special forces, Delta Force and Navy Seals, highly trained individuals that further their careers into the CIA.

I can't really be sure what their main role is or what the selection process is. But the roles are so diverse there. I hear a lot of them may be recruited from the Police Force.

I considered this as a career route, because of medical problems that might bar me from the military service, as maybe an active and engaging life style. But I don't know enough about it...

(And they actually do advertise jobs now).

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
my bros' girlfriend was going to work for MI5, she was telling me how she applied and they just wanted normal looking people etc. but then they wanted to drug test her so she finished it.

I'll ask her more next time I see her.

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Tutor at college said you cant apply for the agents job, you are 'selected'.

My dad is in MI6, good mates with James Bond.

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted*, I think some of you have been watching too many movies.
MI5 and GCHQ openly recruit as do MI6 (SIS). MI6 until recently were not an organisation you could apply for, you were approached. You can now openly apply to MI6, but as far as I'm aware, they do still headhunt staff with a specific skill set. Lots of these guys come from top universities though suck as Oxford, Cambridge and Eton.
www.gchq.gov.uk
www.mi5.gov.uk
www.sis.gov.uk
Needless to say, MI6 are more inclined to approach a foreign diplomat or a foreign oil worker than they are a Royal Marine. If any of you are joining the Royal Marines as you would like to work for one of these agencies, well you're slightly delusional. You should take a look at the Army Intelligence corp, they have a much more transferable skill set.

When you apply for one of the sneaky beaky services, you're not actually supposed to mention it to anyone. So those of you who have friends who applied, well, they have big mouths. :smile:
After passing all of the selection tests, you have to wait 6 months for full security clearance to come through.
Selection tests comprise the same sort of testing you would expect for any job. Psychometric testing, numerous interviews, group working exercises and an interview with a psychologist... Not that I've ever done it...

What happens after that is anyones guess.
Anyway, everyone wave to the case officer at GCHQ who is probably reading this thread. :wave:

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
my mate only told me after he apparently failed. i'd best stop talking about it he might send someone to kill me. like a ninja. :suspicious:
the whole sneaky like ninja thing just doesn't appeal to me, having to lie to all your mates etc, keeping on your toes 24-7. give me body armour and an sa80 any day...*text deleted*

Ghod70

Reaction score
Reminds me of a documentary I seen once called 'The Real James Bond' had a couple of ex agents with their identities masked (faces blacked out etc) giving interviews on how they were selected. One guy was sitting in a bar at university and a man came up and started asking him questions then asked him to go meet his friend called Mr Brown, then after meeting him every couple of months was asked to meet Mr Brown again, but each Mr Brown would be a different person. Can't remember much what he said about the interview though, just reiterates that you are selected for these jobs and do not apply... I wouldn't be on the lookout for one of those jobs!

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
just reiterates that you are selected for these jobs and do not apply... I wouldn't be on the lookout for one of those jobs!
you can apply click on one of the links and try it.
I reckon if your joining any armed force in hope of going onto MI5 your best bet is intelligence corps or SRR.
personally, i reckon if you're (as in 'one') joining the armed forces to get into a civilian agency you shouldn't be joining the armed forces

Ghod70

Reaction score
Yup I seen that after I posted, I replied to the poster without reading the thread... quite interesting. Maybe they recruit both ways then

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i think so. though i'd imagine if you apply rather than are recruited you'd have a tougher selection

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently 95% of "intelligence" work is boring as hell, so if it's "action" your after, probably not the best place, James Bond it ain't.....

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
exactly so as i said gimme my *text deleted* body armour and my sa80

Iles

Reaction score
Apparently 95% of "intelligence" work is boring as hell, so if it's "action" your after, probably not the best place, James Bond it ain't.....

Speaking to a few lads that have been out there so is war as a front line soldier. Lots of sitting and waiting whilst stressed out your nut then it all kicks off, the exciting bit for most.

But as I said 95% is boring.

calger14

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I live in Cirencester which is near Cheltenham. And that's where GCHQ is and its one of the biggest employers round here :laugh:
I know quite a few who work there, one's ex marine :)

MattC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I believe the link has already been posted. I looked about 2 years back but this was for an admin job. I had a go at that role playing scenario on the site.

mrkszota

Reaction score
the whole sneaky like ninja thing just doesn't appeal to me, having to lie to all your mates etc, keeping on your toes 24-7. give me body armour and an sa80 any day...*text deleted**

that is the best thing i have read on this website ever hahahaha! luv the ending