Getting nervous

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hey all. I have been thinking about the Royal Marines as the career for me for so long now, and this weekend I hope to have my application fully filled out and in the post on monday morning. I have been getting fit, I dont have a big problem with press ups, sit ups and pull ups but know i need to improve,

but my running is awful, am down to 10.25 for 1.5 miles and have only done 1 3mile run, dont know my time but i was dead!

Is it better to concentrate on my long distance running and hope it brings my 1.5 mile time down?

for those that have completed prmc, what was the hardest part? what percentage of recruits there failed?

cheers.
Matt

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hiya Matt

Welcome to the site.

The thing to do is start initially on the 1.5 mile runs (outdoors, not on a treadmill) & gradually increase the distance to 3 miles once you have cracked the 10 minute barrier for 1.5 miles (2.4 Km). The speed will come if you try to "sprint" then jog to recover over the distance, then speed up again..

Keep the balance going with your upper body workouts & remember to take rest days.

75% of fails on PRMC occur on the very first element- the 3 mile run. The percentage of those passing PRMC has improved, but you should not think that if over 50% pass PRMC, then you have a 50/50 chance, you must prepare thoroughly or you are 100% certain of not passing. If you are fully prepared mentally & physically & have no medical problems and believe in yourself you can pass selection.

In my local AFCO only about 1 in 8 applicants currently pass all elements of selection at the first attempt & join at the earliest opportunity. The thing to remember, as you will see on this site, is many get knocked back at various stages thus delaying their entry, but if they are resolute in their determination (medical issues aside) they CAN all make it if they remain sufficiently focussed. Again to re-iterate, don't go for PRMC unless you are fully prepared.

Good luck.

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i say u should focus on some long distance as alot of the stuff u do in marines requires stamina and there is alot of long runs, but also do some training on sprinting its a bit of every thing rly when i go running i mainly do long distance but i go over the countryside and there ar a few short steep hills that i power up, i saw some were that u should empaphise (if thats spelt rightlol) on powering up hills.

bennyd89

Reaction score
My advice mucka would be to train for endurance first. You will break the 10 min barrier by having a sound aerobic base. Do not keep doing 1 1/2 mile runs for weeks on end thinking you are going to drop a minute. Keep trying the 3 mile runs 4 times a week for 2 weeks then retry your mile and half. Let us know how you got on mate.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
over the hills it is!

cheers guys, thats all really helpful.

I'll start on some long distance then. I will time my 3 mile just so I know then try some longer runs making sure if i need a rest I just slow right down and DONT walk. after 2 weeks I'll power into the beginning of my 1.5 mile till im dying then try to sustain a respectable pace up untill my sprint at the end.

They did ask at the AFCO when I think I would be aiming to go on PRMC and I just said when I know I'll pass it, trying to shy away from a specific date!

D.Archer

Reaction score
When i started traing back in February i was getting around 10 mins 30 for my 1.5 mile so started going on longer runs say anything from 3 to 6 miles and my time soon dropped and am know down to 8.50 on the road.
my advice would be just crack the longer runs even if yor pace is just above a jog, but remember if yor coming back not basically hanging out then yor not pushing hard enuff!!
good luck
Dec