getting un-fitter

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i've been walking 6 miles to the gym and back and doing 2 hours cv everyday stepping it up alot for months and I still cant do the PJFT, i just get too out of breath. i'm starting to wonder if I was cut out for the marines...:sad::mad::sad: EDIT: oh and i've been doing circits and swimming at night time.

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i've been walking 6 miles to the gym and back and doing 2 hours cv everyday stepping it up alot for months and I still cant do the PJFT, i just get too out of breath.
Mate, I'm not surprised if your doing it every day. Sounds to me like you're over training. Your rest days are just as important as your training days. If you're not resting, your body is never going to repair.
Take two days off in a row (sat & sun?) and then give the PJFT a try, I reckon you will be able to smash it.
I take Wednesday and Saturday off and just chill out.

I think the reason your out of breath is because when you're over training, your resting heart rate is higher than normal.

Hope this helps bud.

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I must admit.. I haven't had a rest day in a few week. But excersize gets addictive. But fine... i'll take a couple of days rest as long as you promise me i'll pass my PJFT :)

chris1988

Reaction score
it does seem to be that you are overtraining, i realised after *text deleted* countless colds, and just not *text deleted* any fitter, eating more would help as well more protein, as it helps to repair muscle! when you exercise you damage muscles, so you need to repair them.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yup, there are 3 elements to success in this field, A good exercise routine, Good Nutrition/Diet and Rest.

Can you give us an overview of your training and are you actually practicing by running the 1.5 miler and 3 miles? What's going on in your 2 hour CV session etc.

M

MTW

control your breathing mate, its hardish at first, but after a while you will never be really out of breath no matter how far you run.

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well, i wake up and walk 3 miles to the gym, I then go on the bike for about 40 minutes and the stepper for 20.. then some boxing or an arms session then walk home again. But yes I do practice my PJFT and have completed it before. Then at night I either go for a 6 mile run or do a circit found on the royal marines website. And my diet is also good, So i have the 2 elements of a good routine. It seems I just need to rest more often therfor i'm relaxing today and tomorow. So tomorow when I get my phone call to book the PJFT I should be on top form for it :).

chris1988

Reaction score
mate it also seems that *text deleted* overdoing aswell, walking to the gym n back and then doin your gym work n then goin on a 6 mile run. walkin to the gym is a good idea, but whats the need in the 6 mile run?? why not, change it? walk 1 day n then another get transport to the gym n bk and then run at nite?

this may help with propa rest and and a diet ull b crackin *text deleted* PJFT in weeks i reckon, u obviously got the stamina but its not showin *text deleted*

let us no how u get on! (if you choose to use this) :uglyhammer::uglyhammer:

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Well, i wake up and walk 3 miles to the gym, I then go on the bike for about 40 minutes and the stepper for 20.. then some boxing or an arms session then walk home again. But yes I do practice my PJFT and have completed it before. Then at night I either go for a 6 mile run or do a circit found on the royal marines website. And my diet is also good, So i have the 2 elements of a good routine. It seems I just need to rest more often therfor i'm relaxing today and tomorow. So tomorow when I get my phone call to book the PJFT I should be on top form for it :).
Sounds good but like you said you just need to have a day or two for rest,
and run different distances,
don't always run 6 miles,
run a few 3 and 4 miles at a good pace,
as I've heard you do a lot of these at first.

Joe

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah JM I do run different distances and also do sprint training

Gtlaau

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
1) Listen to the guys. REST is the most important part of training.
2) make sure you get enough sleep(i sleep 4-6 hours a week and i wish i could sleep. )make sure you get it
3) follow this sprint program for 1 month. bust your nuts doing it.
http://www.transformetrics.com/forums/index.php?topic=12338.0
4)Royal Marines Commando - its a state of mind.
Do you really want it ???? if so how bad ????
If you want it. next time you get on that tread mill. imagine that some one has a gun to your head and says if you cannot run the 2.4k's in under 10 minutes then i will shoot you in the head(or your mum or who ever) make it real for *text deleted* self.if it was real would you really give up so easily ?? no you wouldnt. when the going gets tough. the tough throw up a lung and keep going. you know its only 10 minutes. 1 minute at a time.
5)Never give up
6) I know you can do it.
7) you are doing a great job working out all the time. good job
8)Self belief is so important. even if you have to lie to *text deleted* self. believe in your self okay man.
9) Imagine when you are on the treadmill that this is the last 2.4ks of your 30 miler. and that your are geting your green lid

Rant over. best wishes

we are all wishing you good luck

Tom

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
my 2ps worth:
our bodies are naturally quite lazy when it comes to spending calories on exercise, which is why you have to vary what you're doing it sounds like either you're over training (need two rest days i reckon with the routine you mentioned) or you may have hit a plateau because your body's adapted to the exercise routine,try shaking things up a bit (eg shorter runs with interval training, hill walking with a daypack etc), it worked for me.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Everyone is spot on with the advice so take some rest days from now on!

However, if you want to pass the PJFT, its quite simple, just pass it!
Anyone with the training schedule you're on can pass the PJFT. I'm not saying it would be fun, and you may fall over and vomit at the end, but that will still count as a pass!

You will be taught in RT that your body can go on when you 'know' you cant. The amount of times I've ran with my missus and she's said,
"I have to stop, I'm being serious, I really cant do any more."

Yet with a few encouraging words, oh look we are another 500m down the road. She 'knew' she couldn't go on, yet she did.

If you were being chased by tigers, or gays, you would smash the PJFT, get my point. Failing that, get the PTI at the gym to hang a carrot in front of you, if it works with donkeys....

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I took yesterday off, i'm also taking today off, and my PJFT is tomorow, thanks for the advice.

Gtlaau

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mate

Good luck

Remember that you are fit enough okay.
And there are only two ways you will still running tommorow.
1 you pass out after passing the pjft
2 you pass out after passing the pjft

just remember your body doesnt like hard work. and it will do a good job of trying to convince your brain to make you stop doing what your doing.

Just crack on and dont listen to yourself. only repeat positive things in your head. and when the going gets tough just keep *text deleted**text deleted*ing running

YOUCAN DO IT

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good luck for tomorrow mate. Your going to cream it! Just rest from now until PJFT.

Remember as you're running that this pain is temporary! It will be worth it at the end when you've absolutely smashed the PJFT and get to brag to all of us about how you've got a time of 7 minutes 30 seconds... :wink:

Gtlaau

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
How did you get on

Gday mate

How did you crack on ???

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Passed lads, 9.30 :wink: although it's not the best time i'm still chuffed. I could of gone faster like everyone says but I didn't want to slip up and have to re-take it so I went with the safe option. :smile: Thanks for all your en-couragement!

Gtlaau

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Great news :bigsmile:

Now you know where your fitness is at. you know where you need to be for the PRMC.

Great work mate

Never doubt yourself again

NOW GET BACK TO TRAINING(after a rest of course :smile: )