Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Gillette

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by ThreadpigeonsAlpha, Jan 15, 2019.

1. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'll start the ball rolling by suggesting that before Gillette attempts to generate worthy debate about masculinity it takes a hard look at itself and reviews its arguably sex discriminatory pricing policy.
    In common with other manufacturers Gillette charges a significant price premium for razor products aimed at women.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Advertising genius - maybe the same blokes that did the Army adverts;)

Trying to de-masculate an advert for a bloke's product aimed at blokes!

Massive fan of sexual equality so looking forward to seeing the de-feminisation (if that's a word) of the next adverts for tampons. Maybe a grizzled old bootneck using them to start a fire with a flint and steel.

• Hoofin x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Nailed It x 2
    • Gen Dit x 1
  4. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Still better than the Army Recruitment adverts though....

Great propaganda from that absolute toilet Kim Gehrig.
    Well out of touch and absolute crap.

Nice to see some lefty propaganda crap stuck in there too, with that stupid cow from the Young Turks in there.

They aren’t even being discreet with this crap. And once again an advertising company similar to the godawful army ones.
    http://somesuch.co/about/

https://uk.dollarshaveclub.com/our-products

Boycott Gillette....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procter_&_Gamble

Gillette is owned by this company. Some interesting controversies...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Procter_&_Gamble_brands

https://www.pg.co.uk/brands/

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I still like the Amazon reviews for the BIC For Her - Medium Ballpoint pen.

Example below:

Amazon UK Review:

"I used to be married to a special forces soldier, he was manly, brave, and a decorated hero. He could carry the house on his back whilst fighting off terrorists and a zombie invasion.

I accidentally bought these pens and put them in his backpack for pen type emergencies when he was out in the field. Now he is called Agnes, he lives in a commune in Brighton, is a professional mime artist and knits underwear out of cat fur.

The divorce cost me my home, my in-house car mechanic and D I Y expert and the person who could get the plates down from the top shelf, I am old and bitter and my life is over, all because of these pens.

Heed my warning people of the world, these pens ruin lives, do not touch them, do not even be in the same house as them and certainly do not put them in your husband's backpack. If I can save one other person then my sacrifice will have been worth it. And please see Amazon for my ex-husbands range of cat fur underwear".

• Hoofin Hoofin x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

BBC Radio 4 posted the Gillette clip on its FB page. It has already attracted a mix of responses. Some sensible (even those I don’t agree with) and others plainly irrational. Like this one from ‘Colin’.

Just so you know, if a man gets upset about an advert describing how rape and harassment of women is bad, that man has either raped someone or harasses women regularly.

7. TheBreak

TheBreak New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Colin speaking from experience?

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Not sure how to react to that! Another post where this site should add a WTF voting button.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I hope Colin doesn’t reproduce. I used to play fight and fallout with and fight my actual mates and that doesn’t mean I condone rape.

The use of the young Turks is proof it’s absolute propaganda.

Not to mention that woman who seemed to implode because her colleague put his hand on her shoulder. Oh the HORROR. Her shoulder! It’s not like he would put a reassuring hand on a male colleagues shoulder.

Gillette can suck my actual plums.

• Like Like x 8
  10. R

R Well-Known Member

Well guess we got Colin the rapists viewpoint. In the mean time anyone recommend another brand of razor have to take out a second mortgage if i keep buying Gillette fusion blades -banghead-

I nominate for best forum comment of 2019!

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Shave them too. :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

If ever anyone doubted that one's FB picture could be in any way associated with one's online statements. :)

colin.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  13. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Not rushing to add him to my baby sitting rosta.

• Like Like x 4
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  14. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Gen dit, dollarshave club is decent. Variety of different blades.

Not advertising, a mate reccomended them to me and I have never looked back. Cheap and get delivered.

• Like Like x 2
  15. R

R Well-Known Member

Someone wrote a comment on the official Gillette ad saying "My wifes son LOVES your products" and Gillette, not understanding the irony, pinned the comment :D

@ThreadpigeonsAlpha checking out dollarshave club.

16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I understand that one of the UK's most stolen and subsequently re-sold items is shaver blades.

As an aside, I once treated a woman of my acquaintance to a small glass of wine in The Eagle, Coxside, Plymouth. Within seconds of entering the premises we were approached by toothless people attempting to sell razor cartridges.

Me: "Do I look like someone who would buy stolen goods in some skanky pub?"
    Them: "Yes."
    :(

• Like Like x 6
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  17. R

R Well-Known Member

How many did you buy and what was the price per pack? :D

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Having now managed to watch the advert, it leaves me wondering whether it's worth even reacting to, as the French-sounding, cheese eating surrender-monkey company intends.

Any self-apponted person or company preaching about moral rights and wrongs is a bit like multi-millionnaire popstars telling me to give me their money for a political cause they aren't even remotely conversant with.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Parhelia

Parhelia Member

Not normally one for posting, but this article brings up a question I've had for a while: What exactly is 'toxic masculinity'?
    To me it seems like one of those trendy terms that gets thrown around and used by people who themselves can't define it, like a lot of terms relating to contentious topics.
    The impression I've got is that it's used to describe men who behave like...men, rather than in the more feminised way that certain groups seem to be pushing for.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

I agree that the advert might just be a 'clever' way to get the company name trending. It is a really silly way to lose customers though

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  20. TheBreak

TheBreak New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I also think that as a society, we have somehow found ourselves being responsible for the actions of others. The mention of MeTo0 is a prime example. A few people made some piss poor decisions and acted hugely inappropriately. All of a sudden lots of men are apologising for the actions of others. Like somehow they reflect all of men. Bollocks do they.

Any decent man knows not to abuse women, knows that kids play fighting is fine so long as they know to stand up and shake hands after wards. Society has a part to play, but it’s going the wrong my.

Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 3
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1