Girlfriends and the corp

Taylor

Reaction score
just had a talk with my gf

havent been with her that long but we've clicked and shes lovely :)

her concerns are how long ill be away for in training?

I start 10th november, and when do i have my weekends free?

When can friends and family visit?

Etc.

Any helps appreciated

daz665

Reaction score
I found this on the Royal Marine website, hope it helps.

"Recruits are free most weekends in training although time off will very much depend on what stage of training he is in. In Phase 1 Training (Weeks 1-15) a recruit will be expected to work from 0755hrs – 1655hrs, Mon-Fri, and may also have additional personal administration to complete during the evenings. He may also be required to work on Saturday morning from 0755hrs – 1230hrs if the syllabus dictates. During Phase 2 Training (Weeks 16-26) a Recruit will keep the same hours Mon-Fri, but will have much of the weekend off and the level of personal administration is reduced as he is now considered to be a trained soldier (but not a Commando soldier). Additionally throughout training Recruits are given ‘Shore Leave’ which permits them to leave the Camp on the Friday and not have to sign back in until Sunday evening allowing him to go away to visit friends and family. Also there are several holiday leaves including Christmas (2 Weeks), Easter (2 Weeks) and Summer (3 Weeks). At whatever stage of training a recruit is in he will be permitted to take these annual holiday leaves along with the other members of the camp. These leaves are fixed throughout the year and may not be taken at leisure."

As well as that there's Family Day in Week 3 and obviously your pass out.

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
just had a talk with my gf

havent been with her that long but we've clicked and shes lovely :)

her concerns are how long ill be away for in training?

I start 10th november, and when do i have my weekends free?

When can friends and family visit?

Etc.

Any helps appreciated

you have most weekends free, but a friend of mine whos in RT now says you dont get to stay out the whole weekend untill about week 15. but now he comes back down on the train just for saturday night really. but after week 15 you could head home for sat night then come back

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Generally you can expect a "Families Day", assuming all goes well with your training, about the 3 rd week, when your Partner & family may wish to travel to Lympstone to see how you're doing.

As you join in November anyway, you will most likely be home on leave from 19 December to 05 January anyway unless the security state changes.

If you view the Recruit Training Programme you can see each weekend off is highlighted in blue.

Do bear in mind that everyone initially suffers slightly from homesickness to a greater or lesser degree, so you're not alone there.

You must also be aware that having only served a short time from joining up until going home on winter period leave that everyone really has reservations about going back, particularly if they've enjoyed the festivities, and many submit notice to leave upon getting off the train at Lympstone. They ALL regret it and end-up rather dismayed when the AFCO turns them away afterwards.

When all's said & done, good luck to you both. It's not easy initially with regard separation, but those that have the strength of mind can see it through.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Are you not aloud out of camp at all then? Even after your hours? I mean, what if you wanted to go out somewhere to eat or something. Or even go to a bar? I know this sounds wrong but its not, it's about having a life once in a while.

If they told me I couldn't do that in the whole 32 weeks guess what, I'd accept it and get on with training to be a Royal Marine. But it's still nice to be able to go out of camp in the evening...

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Are you not aloud out of camp at all then? Even after your hours? I mean, what if you wanted to go out somewhere to eat or something. Or even go to a bar? I know this sounds wrong but its not, it's about having a life once in a while.

If they told me I couldn't do that in the whole 32 weeks guess what, I'd accept it and get on with training to be a Royal Marine. But it's still nice to be able to go out of camp in the evening...

As you say. Expect nothing, then celebrate the unexpected rewards.

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

you can go out on the weekends if you have time. but there is a curfew in the first 10 weeks or so.

plus its only 9 months dude...not your whole life *text deleted*

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As you say. Expect nothing, then celebrate the unexpected rewards.

Definitely, I'd go years of pain to get a proud reward. To me money is nothing, I just want to be proud of myself for once :laugh:

Anyway 32 weeks is nothing, I wished I applied for this in January. Who knows what my situation might be right now. However I'm not going to say I'll love it if I do get into RT, it's probably a whole new world and I'm sure many will have to adapt to it first.
I reckon its all about giving yourself the chance to adapt, no matter how bad you think it is!

ncfc_crazyuk

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Alright Taylor, was on the same PRMC as you...

Finished with my gf the week before PRMC as I knew the time I would be away was *text deleted* be hard to make it work with her, personally I wanted to get through training without thinking about a gf worrying n wanting me home all the time...

On the other hand a gf can be good as gives you something to think about when things are getting hard. Just thinking about doing it for yourself as well as making your gf proud.

The two lads who I know who are in the corps, one finished with his gf 5 weeks into training and the other didnt even bother with a gf as he didnt want the problems with it *text deleted*...

What choice you make, hope all goes well, see you in scran!

JDMSAM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ive been with my bird bout 3 years.Im not gona go into my feelings for her n al tht crap, but explain to her its something your doing for yourself, its not a regular job its a lifestyle. both mentally and physicaly draining but at the same time possibly the most rewarding thing you will ever do. My girl understands that theres nothing i want more, Its a choice she has to make to stay with you and support you or cut her losses b4 training starts. You wont need emotional *text deleted**text deleted* going on during RT

Layden23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I will have to agree with most the posts from the lads above.you will have to get close with your oppos, or as a lot of people see it *text deleted* new family. but if *text deleted* missus is supportin you, and reassuring you that you'lL GEt through it together, then heck theres an extra boost i wouldn't want to lose. relationships will always go through tough times but you will always pull through if u try hard enough. one thing i know that helps, apart from if the love is genuine, is that you shouldn't focus so much on the distance, but moreover on wt you two will have after. who knows wt the future holds but you have to be certain that she is sure of her decision.
hope that helped mate
going through the same heap of crap myself, don't want to lose my girl but i want that green beret. some people choose civvy life and girlfriend and some choose green beret and no girlfriend for a while, *text deleted**text deleted* that mate i'm going for both. just be confident in your relationship and you'll be fine