Giving Blood

ringo

Reaction score
Gave blood for the first time today. Never even thought of doing it until by girlfriend convinced me. Some machine sucks you dry for 10 minutes and you get loadsa free food after.

They take roughly a pint of blood and considering theres only 8 pints in the human body i would say thats quite alot.

WARNING: DON'T STAND UP TO QUICKLY!

Whats everyones view on donating blood or even organs? *text deleted*

I found it personally quite satisfying knowing i'm helping someone.

Cheers

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Personally Ringo

I think everyone at the age of 18 should get a choice, do you want to donate your organs? Yes or No

If you tick no, then you won't get put on the organ receiving list should anything go wrong with yours and you need a transplant later on in life.

If you tick yes, then your organs get donated no matter what your surviving relatives say in the event of your death.

If you tick no and later change your mind, you can't receive an organ for upto 5 years after.

If people started to think that organ donation may affect them in life and not just in death, they may think a bit harder about this choice.

Only people that are exempt are the mentally disabled as they sometimes don't have the ability to take in the consequences of their decisions.

flump1

Reaction score
yeh hoofing *text deleted*, im an organ donor, i'v never gave blood though think i might in the near future. its something that only takes 10 mins and doesn'r do you any harm so why not.

PrmcOjay

Reaction score
*text deleted*

Gave blood for the first time today. Never even thought of doing it until by girlfriend convinced me. Some machine sucks you dry for 10 minutes and you get loadsa free food after.

They take roughly a pint of blood and considering theres only 8 pints in the human body i would say thats quite alot.

WARNING: DON'T STAND UP TO QUICKLY!

Whats everyones view on donating blood or even organs? *text deleted*

I found it personally quite satisfying knowing i'm helping someone.

Cheers

Well im 17 and given blood twice it makes me real tired for a few days the first time was fine i sat down after and went home but the seconed time was just after christmas i just wanted to get home i practicly left 30 sec's after i gave the pint and pretty much fainted 1 mins walk from the blood donation place. Now thinking back on it i should have let my blood circulate before walking away with a empty part of my body starved of blood *text deleted*.

:blackeye:

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you tick no, then you won't get put on the organ receiving list should anything go wrong with yours and you need a transplant later on in life.

If you tick no and later change your mind, you can't receive an organ for upto 5 years after.

That wouldn't work, and why would you give someone a 5 year grace period when they change their mind? That's like saying 'Oh well you've decided to do the right thing but we're still going to hold your earlier decision against you.'

People shouldn't need to be asked, they should just simply not take the organs of people who have made the effort to say they don't want them taken. Everyone else should be fair game.

Oh, and giving blood is great, everyone should do it.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
That wouldn't work, and why would you give someone a 5 year grace period when they change their mind? That's like saying 'Oh well you've decided to do the right thing but we're still going to hold your earlier decision against you.'

People shouldn't need to be asked, they should just simply not take the organs of people who have made the effort to say they don't want them taken. Everyone else should be fair game.

Oh, and giving blood is great, everyone should do it.

It's quite simple Mackie, the 5 year period is there because you might realise your kidneys are failing and then suddenly have the brain wave that you are now in favour or transplants. So why should you instantly be able to change your mind and get back onto the organ register the same as everyone else.

Nope 5 years grace period will prevent people climbing off the fence when it is their time to get treatment.

If people aren't willing to give, then they shouldn't be able to receive.

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

couldn't agree with you more.

my girlfriend gives blood and i always say im *text deleted* go with her but just never do. selfish really, but dont mean to be. As far as organs go, my family know that i want them given to Medical services. Although would rather them just be used for transpants, rather than some doctor hacking away at me for "research."

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

So you'd be quite happy to live in a society that lets people die every day because they have a few selfish beliefs?

This country is different and better than others because we value life more than that and treat people equally. There are countries that don't and I definintely know where I'd rather live. Sure there might be problems with the system, and there is far too much fuss made over the rights of certain people, but it shouldn't result in something as harsh as you say.

Whatever the consequence, it certainly shouldn't result in death. That's just retarded.

kidna

Reaction score
Whatever the consequence, it certainly shouldn't result in death. That's just retarded.

says a potential ROYAL MARINE!! are you planning on using water pistols in afghanistan sorry mate but i found that really ironic

RC

Reaction score
So you'd be quite happy to live in a society that lets people die every day because they have a few selfish beliefs?

Both Mackie and Greywing raise good points. However, I agree with Greywing. The people with 'selfish beliefs' seem quite happy to let others die by not agreeing to donate their organs.

Why should they be allowed to recieve an organ if they are unwilling to donate in the event of death ? Someone who is unwilling to donate may well be saved by a transplant, while someone who is willing to donate could die whilst waiting - That doesn't seem fair to me.

Rich.

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i agree with kidna... you say it shouldnt resolve in death when (if) us guys make it we will be best freinds with death i asure you. if your not up to take a persons life, the royal marines or any other military unit isnt for you.

oh and i would happily give blood becaus one day that blood might save my best mates life in iraq or afghanistan if he gets wounded and that would make me feel like im doing my part to help in the conflict or even civvie street.

james

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
says a potential ROYAL MARINE!! are you planning on using water pistols in afghanistan sorry mate but i found that really ironic

What are you talking about? I'm discussing the system of organ donation for civilians, please read the topic before you post.

And what are you on about Blocky? You think that because I'm unwilling to support a system that allows British citizens to die because they won't donate their own organs means I'm not able to fight for this country?

The difference between the two arguments is this:

Our current system results in some people dying while waiting for organs. This is a result of a poor system, not the actions of any individuals or a collective agreement. You can't hold one person who decides against donation responsible for the death of someone else.

The system you argue for will have people die who don't want to donate their own organs. This is a result of people making a decision for this happening. There will be people responsible for this. You will be able to say 'the actions of xxx have resulted in xxx dying.'

Anyone who supports the latter surely must realise that this is not how Britain does things. It's ruthless and uncompassionate.

I've got to say, some of the more recent members of this forum talk so much crap it's having a real impact on the quality of the website.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
And what are you on about Blocky? You think that because I'm unwilling to support a system that allows British citizens to die because they won't donate their own organs means I'm not able to fight for this country?

Our current system results in some people dying while waiting for organs. This is a result of a poor system, not the actions of any individuals or a collective agreement.

I've got to say, some of the more recent members of this forum talk so much crap it's having a real impact on the quality of the website.

Mackie, I'm not saying we are going to let these people die, they are saying it themselves. Like I said they are given a vote at 18. It's their choice and they know the consequences of their actions.

Why should people go round all their lives saying "I'm not donating, I'm not donating" then "well now I need a kidney, I'm all up for organ donations and I want someone to give theirs to me"

Perhaps if their is no-one on the waiting list then they can have one, but if you aren't willing to give then you shouldn't receive before people who are willing to give. If people realised that, then maybe the waiting lists wouldn't e as long as they are now.

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
so mackie your telling me that if you had heart failure and needed a transplant and your not willing to donate your organs because you want to keep them when you die, but you still want your new heart? i think that is totally disgusting! because if we ALL thought like that there would be no organs to give to anyone. saying that im talking total crap? well if thats the way you think about organ donation im a way better man than you.

anyway i just noticed u passed prmc good luck with RT (and im not being sarcastic)

cheers

james

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have no problem with a situation where two people need the same organ and it's given to the person who is willing to donate their own upon death, however things are usually a lot more complicated than that. There are all sorts of questions that need answered when someone gets an organ, the chances of it being successful etc.

I just disagree with a general policy of ignoring those who have these selfish beliefs. But that's what is so great, that people can shout and bawl at each other and come to a compromise. Without this there wouldn't be progress!

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Blocky, please tell me where I said that. You're putting words in my mouth because you've got the completely wrong end of the stick.

I said you're talking crap with regard to what you said following Kidna's post, not regarding your views on this issue.

Please, please, please, take more time to read before accusing people of things. If everyone did that, we wouldn't have so many arguments.

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm all for organ donation, but I would be absolutely gutted to think that my organ could be given to some *text deleted**text deleted* like george best that will continually abuse those organs and their second/third chance of life, when others are dying. If an organ is given to someone due to a condition they can control, they should have to go into rehab or something, before and after the trasnplant. Obviously for people that need organs due to accidents etc, I am all for saving a persons life, and end of the day, its either that or the organ just rots in the ground.

As for giving blood, I always think to myself I will do it, i just never seem to. Maybe that will change soon?

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
what is the age requirement to give blood ? i think im going to do it

kidna

Reaction score
i totally understood what was goin on i DID read it i found it totally ironic how a potential marine thinks that someone dying because they CHOOSE not to donate something they dont need any more ie quite selfish as they could have saved someones life, as a donar could have saved there life but you would quite happily go shoot or blow up (in some cases generally) innocent people that are being forced to fight in political wars they which they had NO CHOICE i no that sounds pretty deep but still hypocritical on how u value peoples lives

RC

Reaction score
The system you argue for will have people die who don't want to donate their own organs. This is a result of people making a decision for this happening. There will be people responsible for this. You will be able to say 'the actions of xxx have resulted in xxx dying.'

I see what you are saying, however, it could be argued that, collectively, the population who decide not to donate organs are also responsible for the deaths of people awaiting transplants, albeit indirectley. They have the choice to to give others a chance of living and decide against this. Surely, the majority of people who decide not to donate understand the possible consequences of their decision ?

Therefore, we could also say the actions of non donors are responsible for the deaths of xxx.

Rich.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ug67 Giving blood General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 5
Castle Kashan caterer Giving blood Training Plans and Diet Suggestions 6
HHHNNN Giving Blood Jollies Bar 14