Glasses!

Welshii

Reaction score
Hey all i want to join the royal marines and fully confident that i will, but there is 1 thing really bugging me.

I *text deleted* wear Glasses permanantly and am worried weather or not it will make me fail my medical or so forth.

if u could please give me advice upon this topic i would be most greatful thank you.

Royal Marines Is The Place To Be.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hey there, fear not! Alot of us wear glasses and/or contact lenses and it doesn't bar you from entry. However, there are standards which you are required to meet. Click HERE to view the complete medical standards including eyesight requirements.

Welshii

Reaction score
thanks alot!!

thanks alot would it be maybe an idea to contact my current option (carnt spell it sorry) and get these levels checked before i take the rm/rn services into hand or is it best to just go to the eye examination.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well, if you can find the paperwork from your last checkup at the optition so you can compare to the standards. I wouldn't advise going to the optitions to get your eyes checked out. Wait untill you pass the interview and you'll be told you need an eyesight test. You could always phone your local AFCO to clear up any queries you have.

Charlie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hello fellows..

soorry to ask a different question, but thought it might be usefull : )
do you get supplied with a set of glasses during RT? *text deleted* the ones i got i *text deleted* really fancy breaking them? oris it advisable to just get a new cheap paor from the opticians, then it *text deleted* matter what u do with them?

also, can you choose when u wear *text deleted* glasses during RT? *text deleted* im gna need to wear them shootin obviously, but in the tunnells/assault course etc etc, it mite be easier not to wear them ...

thanking you in advance ! :kult:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You are advised to take spare glasses when starting Recruit Training.

Common sense would suggest you by inexpensive glasses with unbreakable lenses.

The only lenses supplied by the service are those fitted into your S10 Respirator. (Gas Mask)

Welshii

Reaction score
What if u got prescripted glasses?

hey following on from this topic i have got to wear prescripted glasses at all times.

without these i find it really hard to see as i am very short sighted.

this is very tense for me as i am worried that i will fail my eye examination.

does this also mean i will fail to move onto the next step aswell as losing the oppertunity of getting into the rm.

or is it just best for me to like have my eye examination first

as looking at the assult corse there is swimming involved which means i carnt wear these glasses obviously.

get bk to me please would be most greatful thank you.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, my friend (the 21st under 18 kayaker in the UK) has absolutely insanely bad eyesight around -18 each eye! He managed to get contact lenses, he doesn't see 100% but this shows that even the badest eyesight can get contacts. I also used to use perscription goggles when I kayaked that never came loose from my head (untill I discovered contacts).

If you really are uncertain about anything contact the AFCO! We can't help you if you don't tell us every detail about your last eye exam unfortunately =(

Ash

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you are entitled to a free eyetest, then it's probably worth having your eyes tested before you enter into the selection process & checking you meet the minimum requirements by taking your prescription to the AFCO to check with the Medical Examiner.

In the event you have to pay for an eyetest then you can either enter into the selection process, take the recruiting test & the RN/RM pays for your test or alternatively pay for your own beforehand. Even if you have your eyes tested independantly, the RN/RM will still pay for you to have them tested as part of your medical examination.