Going all the way

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Scotland19, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Scotland19

Scotland19 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Just finished reading Mark Time - Going All The Way. I would strongly recommend anyone wanting to join the Royal Marines to read this book. Absolutely hilarious and is about his time spent at a 40 commando in a unit. Basically full of stories about pranks played, runs ashore in tropical islands, drinking games, scoping out the female population, dressing up, naked bars, going on holiday together and smashing up bars in fights with lads who had gave one of their oppos a beating, being chased by police in corfu and all the other hilarious stuff you expect.

"However our naughty pirating had come at a cost. Everyone from HMS Intrepid was banned from the 'Jolly Rodger'. Banned from a pirate ship? How bad ass were we? The ban wasn't particularly well received by the guys. The ships radio DJ, a young matelot who, for the best part did a sterling job of entertainment while at sea, publically slated the lads over the tinny airwaves. Not the best career move for someone so young, he was later found tied up in a seamans kit bag, swinging in time with the ships roll, from the crane jib that hung 20 feet above the flight deck"

a slight insight into the stuff they got up to. Must Read.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MORP

MORP Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I recently read a book called "Born Fearless" - Phil Campion. I'd highly recommend it if you liked that one. its the story of a man who went from childrens homes to passing P-Company and royal marines selection before joining the SAS, then after his career he went onto the private security circuit doing odd jobs around the globe. I couldnt put it down and ended up finishing it in a day!

• Like Like x 2
  3. wishful thinking?

wishful thinking? New Member

Great wee book, I’m sure I picked it up for a couple o quid and really enjoyed it

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. westy

westy Well-Known Member

He’s a genuinely nice bloke too, runs regular boxing events against US SF for soldiers charities

• Like Like x 1
  5. j1882m

j1882m New Member

Read this myself, great read! Would anyone have anymore suggestions on similar books to Born Fearless or even on the private security circuit around that time. I found it very interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  6. wishful thinking?

I read ant middletons book the other week, 1 part autobiography and 1 part self help book but that was an interesting read. Doesn’t go much into any opperational events but it’s still decent

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scotland19

Scotland19 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I read a book called The Circuit - Bob Shepherd and its about an ex SAS soldier who thought after leaving the SAS he'd left his most exciting days behind him until joining the circuit and protecting journalists in the west bank and gaza etc, was a great read mate.

8. Scotland19

Scotland19 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Thank you mate will look into getting it. I bought the Mark Time Trilogy and read the first 2 books in two days so buzzing to read the third, although I thought the first book going commando was fantastic the second book was just on another level, an absaloute laughathon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MORP

MORP Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I've just ordered the trilogy haha, ill let you know how i find it

• Like Like x 1
  10. wishful thinking?

I’d imagine you’d find it just under your letter box inside your front door ;)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. MORP

MORP Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I've just finished reading the going commando trilogy and found it brilliant. I've also read a book called battle scars by Jason fox which was a very interesting read.

Does anyone have any other suggesting for similar books?

12. GingerBread

GingerBread Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    First man in - Ant Middleton I found this a really good read.

Man Down - Mark Ormrod
    This is a great read, story from a hero. Honestly couldn’t recommend reading this book enough.

• Like Like x 2
  13. MORP

MORP Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Alright cheers, I've read first man in, but ill have a read of man down.

• Seen Seen x 1
  14. GingerBread

GingerBread Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Definitely worth the time. Mark Ormrod is a great guy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MORP

MORP Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I read about his swim at the Invictus games, one got mountains of respect for him. To be able to carry on living after losing 3 limbs and not going into a state of depression is a huge feat in itself. But to carry on push yourself regardless is extraordinary!

16. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Have you read his book? He did go into a state of depression upto asking his then girlfriend (now wife) to help him end his life!!

That’s what makes him such an inspiration!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rover

Rover Moderator

For those with an interest in Special Forces, I would suggest......

First into Action by Duncan Falconer.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
  18. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Yes Another great read Is Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. It tells the story of WW2 veteran Louis Zamperini. It was made into a film, but the book goes into much more detail. An excellent and inspiring read.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MassamanDave

MassamanDave New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Just about to finish reading 'Painting the sand'. Very insightful read, written by army W01 Kim Hughes and his experience as an ATO disposing of IEDs in afghan!

20. JWR94

JWR94 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I've read 'Going Commando' by Mark Time and thought it was great and really funny. Look forward to reading more by him.

Something I've recently finished and would highly recommend is 'SAS: Rogue Heroes' By Ben MacIntyre. It tells the story of the SAS during WW2, such as their formation and many of their operations throughout war. It shows the courageous do-or-die nature of the unit and how unprecedented and successful some of the first SF operations were (or weren't in some cases).

It's also the only biography of the formation of the SAS that has been 'authorized' by the Regiment, and the guy who wrote it is the first writer to have access to their archives including the SAS War Diary.