Going all the way

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Scotland19, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Rover

Rover Moderator

Interestingly the SBS was formed a year before the SAS and Operational six months before the SAS. Perhaps a book worth reading being;

SBS. The Inside Story of the Special Boat Service. By John Parker.:cool:

• Like Like x 4
    • Seen Seen x 1
  2. JWR94

JWR94 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Cool I'll give that a read, I don't know much about the SBS; the only operation that comes to mind during WW2 is the famous Op Frankton, so it'd be good to find out more.

3. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

The guys on Op Frankton were not part of the SBS, but the Royal Marines Boom Patrol Detachment. Additionally, none of them were commando trained, they were all blue beret marines.

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  4. JWR94

JWR94 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Right neither was Blondie Hassler but it became the blueprint for SBS operations during WW2.

I'd like to find out more about the unit though. I'd guess that they're more secretive as they never had a really public moment in the way the SAS did with Iranian embassy siege being broadcast on live TV.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rover

Rover Moderator

Shed load of books written by members of the SAS!! TV interviews etc !!:eek::(

Prior to the formation known as UKSF, there was the RMSBS. Members of the RMSBS all wore the RM Cap Badge and as such were seen by the public as Royal Marines NOT as members of the SBS. The 'grey men'!

The SAS chose to seek public exposure the SBS did not. Some things being claimed by the SAS being 'misleading' to say the least.

A public moment.

qe2-bomb-scare.jpg

At one time the G&B complained that SB never sent any photographs for publication as all the other units did. So they were sent the following, nothing further was heard from the G&B.:cool:

We know who you are!.jpeg

:):):)

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  6. JWR94

JWR94 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Haha not seen that before, that's awesome. I'd definitely like to find out more:)

7. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

For those not familiar with the story behind the liner and plane, in 1972 there was a bomb scare on the QE2 and a SF team of 2 x SBS, 1 x SAS and 1 x ATO were flown out to RV with the ship and then parachuted into the Atlantic to carry out a search.

The call turned out to be a hoax, but it brought the SBS into the public eye.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rover

Rover Moderator

It was the RM Public Relations who decided that it would be good PR for the two members of the SBS to be photographed in uniform on the ships arrival in port.:(

So photographs made media coverage, o_Oagainst advice from the SBS.

A few years later one member again when due to the previous media photographs he was recognised whilst serving in Belfast.-banghead- Needless to say his stay was shortened and a return to Poole made.

Yet some people still do not understand the importance of PerSec! Even those who should know better.-banghead-

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1