Good Book for POs (in my opinion)

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Fellas,

I have been given a book by my old man that he highly recommended. He was an RM Officer of 20yrs so I took him seriously on this one.

I am only about half way through it and it is a circa 1990 book but is very good.

It breaks down the technicalities and difficulties of command and looks at all aspects throughout history and how it has developed to where it is now.

I found it helped my understanding a lot and hope it can do the same for you.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Command-War...4414/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333620629&sr=8-1

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Cheers for the heads-up, I'll add it to my (ever growing) reading list.

Mozdog

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Looks pretty good, I'll check it out, cheers mate

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers, got lots of books to read at the moment but i will bump this up the list a bit.

byrney

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Out of interest, has anyone ever read 'On War' by Clausewitz. I've earmarked it to read over the summer as it looks like heavy going, but very interesting. I assume that this book is along the same lines.

Mozdog

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Out of interest, has anyone ever read 'On War' by Clausewitz. I've earmarked it to read over the summer as it looks like heavy going, but very interesting. I assume that this book is along the same lines.
Seen a couple of quotes from it, and it looks interesting enough. Like you said though, it's probably really heavy stuff, and with it being 200+ years old and translated from old German, the wording of it will probably be hard to follow.

foggers

Reaction score
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein is really good. It's much better than the film.