Good evening

RJ1993949

Reaction score
Good evening all

My names Ryan, im 27 years old and im considering or atleast entertaining the idea of joining as i have recently come to the realisation that it is now or never for me to achieve my military ambitions.

I always wanted to join the military in some capacity but due to my own fault my fitness/weight has always betrayed me, i have always been a big lad with my heaviest being 20stone (i have photos to prove) i am currently sitting at 14 stone and feel loads better, even though the weight has come off my fitness level is pretty poor, i blame Covid and becoming a dad (2 weeks ago) no i know there is no excuse.

I currently work in the prison service as an officer and have done for a few years, even though i can see that staying where i am would mean a long career i know i would kick myself if i missed out on my chances to achieve a childhood dream.

I have a couple of questions initially -

1) how much time should i allow myself to "get fit" so to say?

2) how long is the process from registering interest to the medical/fitness tests? *more so with covid*

Sorry for the waffle

Take it easy

CallMeLucifer

Reaction score
Hi.

Ideally, one should send an application when they're already fit-enough. However, I reckon 1-2 years is a good amount of time to get into a decent standard -- providing you're putting the effort into it. Don't use the application time as a phase to get fit; it won't go so well.

I started my application around May, I think, and I have only just passed the medical and going on to do the vpjft. A year is considered to be roughly average.

RJ1993949

Reaction score
Thats good advice is that my man, i reckon 29 is a good time frame to be honest.. gives me around a year and a half

Ryan

Chelonian

Reaction score
For reasons of Personal Security (PERSEC) acutal names, partial actual names or names which appear to be actual names are not permitted.

Please message any mod on the forum with a new choice of forum user name and one of us will fix it. Thanks.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi.

Ideally, one should send an application when they're already fit-enough. However, I reckon 1-2 years is a good amount of time to get into a decent standard -- providing you're putting the effort into it. Don't use the application time as a phase to get fit; it won't go so well.

I started my application around May, I think, and I have only just passed the medical and going on to do the vpjft. A year is considered to be roughly average.
With respect mate. I dont think 1-2 years is particularly accurate to get upto a decent standard.

Even someone coming from the most basic level of fitness can get up to PRMC standard if they train smart and hard in a much smaller time frame than that.

@RyanJohn93 if you could perhaps give indication as to where your current fitness levels are at we could help point you in the right direction.

RJ1993949

Reaction score
With respect mate. I dont think 1-2 years is particularly accurate to get upto a decent standard.

Even someone coming from the most basic level of fitness can get up to PRMC standard if they train smart and hard in a much smaller time frame than that.

@RyanJohn93 if you could perhaps give indication as to where your current fitness levels are at we could help point you in the right direction.
Morning mate

Like i said i have dropped around 6 stone - not in the healthy way to be honest it was done by eating very little and a change of job

Even being at 14 stone, its more fat than muscle so its not a healty 14.

My fitness levels currently are basic at best, not great at running.. can walk for miles which doesnt count for much and havnt been to the gym since lockdown started back in March so lost most of my strength.

Id say for me its like starting brand new as a complete beginner

Thanks for your time

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Morning mate

Like i said i have dropped around 6 stone - not in the healthy way to be honest it was done by eating very little and a change of job

Even being at 14 stone, its more fat than muscle so its not a healty 14.

My fitness levels currently are basic at best, not great at running.. can walk for miles which doesnt count for much and havnt been to the gym since lockdown started back in March so lost most of my strength.

Id say for me its like starting brand new as a complete beginner

Thanks for your time

Fair one.

What id suggest then is having a look at correct royal marines form for press up/sit up/pull up and then have a crack at them all to the beep. Audio can be found on youtube. Note your scores and then you have your starting point and can assess time frames and also a decent programme.

Running wise if your starting from scratch, perhaps set a timer for 15 minutes and see how far you can run in that time.

All about seeing where you're at and then being able to use those numbers to cater a specific training programme for yourself