Good read....

Gaz

Reaction score
Alrite lads,

Picked up a good book on Monday. It's about the"Commando On The Front Line" TV series. Written by the same guy but in a bit more depth. Goes more into when he went out to Afganistan with one of the YO's he met in training.

Relly good! It's called "Commando" by Chris Terrill £18.99 but got it at Waterstones book shop (don't know why I was in there???) for £14.99

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i had a quick glance at that myself. unfortunately i made the mistake of having a look at the pictures and now i know who passes. damn, ruined it.

Gaz

Reaction score
Know what you mean mate! The picture of the original troop then the picture of who passes out, scarey thought! Only about 4 or 5!

robigunner88

Reaction score
Yeah I saw it this morning.
I was just about to tell people that it was out.
It does look good though, and there are some very good photo's inside.

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Gaz said:
Know what you mean mate! The picture of the original troop then the picture of who passes out, scarey thought! Only about 4 or 5!
Only 4-5 :shock: Dang.

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
think the numbers are so low as it only shows the ones who passed out with 924 troop not the ones who would have been back trooped or got put into hunters company.. Anyway bought this today after reading this post
it was £14.99 from waterstones i would DEFFO reccommend it and i dont usually read!

paddlequack

Reaction score
If you watched '55 year old commando' the one episode showing the trials and tribulations of chris terrills commando tests, it says that only 6 people from 924 troop passed the commando tests on time.
everyone else either left/booted/backtrooped/hunter trooped or got removed for not being suitable.

marcus2007

Reaction score
Actually only 9 people out of the original troop passed out :wink:
I still have it recorded on SKY + 8)

milky

Reaction score
yeah i got it the other day *text deleted* i was in waterstones, had a flick through and some of the pics are fooked.

anyone read jarhead? great book, ok film.

matthewwookie

Reaction score
Moving away from this book, are there any other books people would reckommend?? Doesn't have to be all about Marines/Army but of course that always makes a good read.

One that I thought was pretty good, although it is about American military is 'inside delta force'. Its written by a guy that was one of the first through the training, sounds similar to SAS training from what i've read of that. Good read though!!

Matt

Gaz

Reaction score
"Barefoot Soldier" is good, it's about Johnson Beharry who won the VC in Iraq. About when he was young and all that. "Operation Certain Death" is good too, about the SAS and Para's when they rescued some hostages in Op. Barras. Just reading "Bloody Heros" at the minute, that's about the SBS in Afganistan.

And of course Mr. Steve Preece's two book's! :*text deleted*:

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I agree Gaz Barefoot soldier is a good read as well as :-

The Quite Soldier - Adam Ballinger - Tells an account of the author trying out for the T.A SAS

For Queen and Country - Nigel "spud" Ely - about the para's and spud in the falklands

Squaddie a soldiers story - Steven McLaughlin - Tells of the authors plight to join the Royal Green Jackets he passed the combat infantrymans course aged 31. Some recruiting SGT found a loop hole that allowed him to join even though he was passed the official joining age. If memory serves me right he joined the marines and at the time Laser eye surgery was new he had this done but did not declare it they found out and he was ejected.

The Making of a Royal Marine Commando - Nigel Foster - explores the training and looks at the type of people that go on to pass out as a marine.

Just another soldier - Jason Christopher Hartley - Tells of his experiences whilst serving in Iraq.

Jarhead - Anthony Swafford - If you have seen Jarhead this goes into a little more depth.

Band Of Brothers - Stephen Ambrose - Tells of easy company's adventures during WW2.

Major Dick Winters memoires - I dont have this book to hand my wife has tidied it away *text deleted*. This is a great read again about his time in easy company during WW2.

Commando - Chris Terrill - I think most of you know of this book.

Eye of the storm - Peter Ratcliffe - Tells of this man starting life as a para and rising to a Major in the SAS if memory serves me correctly. Covers a little bit about the ill fated Chris Ryan patrol (was it ANdy McNab who commanded this) anyway Peter Ratcliffe has a few interesting things to say about this.

Commando's - John Parker - Explores the history of the marines and commando;s

The Royal Marines From Sea soldiers to a Special force - Julian Thompson - massive book covering the marine history up to a probably a bit past the falklands (cant say as Ive not finished it yet)

To Hell and Back - Audie Murphy - Tells of his life before and during WW2. Its sad he is one of the most or maybe even then most decorated American during WW2 he survived that and a poor child hood only to die in a plane crash in the 60's.

Dusty Warriors - Richard Holmes - An account of his time in Iraq

Boy Soldiers of the Great War - Richard Van Emden - This is about all the under age soldiers who fought in WW1.

A Drop too many - Maj Gen John Frost - An account of his life including his military career and of course his role in OPeration Market garden specifically the bridge at Arnhem.

Royal Marine commando's an inside story of a force for the future - John Parker - AGain similar to commando's it just explores the role and history or the commando's

Barefoot Soldier - Johnson Beharry VC - An autobiography very good read.

And lastly but by no means least our very own the one the only Ste Preece's two books - Amongst the Marines and Always a Marine.

Sorry for the long post perhaps Ive went overboard but the above lists the books I own and have read. I like to listen to older people's stories and read about peoples accounts of their times spent in the military. I like to take lessons from what they say and try and apply it to myself and learn from what they say or wrote.

Keep this thread alive please as Im looking for more books to read and it would be interesting to look into what you guys have read.

milky

Reaction score
Making a killing by james ashcroft is an excellent book, about an ex army officer working as a private securty/merc in the early days of the iraq war, its a great insight into both the private work side and what life in iraq is like for most common people.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Audi Murphy

This was a film too. :D

This guy was an inspiration to me as a kid. He WAS the most decorated man in world war II.

Phoenix wrote:

To Hell and Back - Audie Murphy - Tells of his life before and during WW2. Its said he is one of the most or maybe even then most decorated American during WW2 he survived that and a poor child hood only to die in a plane crash in the 60's.

Cheers for the memory phoenix mate.

A book I enjoyed some years ago was: The Devil's Guard. Although I don't know if its still available.

Also: Chickenhawk

Steve

JoePRMC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
read

Anyone read " 3 PARA " ??? I know its the paras like but its interesting regarging Afghan n that ????

matthewwookie

Reaction score
Cheers for the book info....looks like i'll be getting myself on amazon haha. Have to admit, i'm a huge fan of band of brothers, so wouldn't mind reading the book...especially Maj Winters book...I believe the author also wrote a few other books on similar stories.

Matt

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Nps Steve glad I was able to cast up some good memories. Mat Id definetly recomend Maj Dick Winters book, Stephen Ambrose's book is ok I enjoyed reading it. Id say Maj Dick Winters memoires were a much better read though, he is some guy very humble and a very good leader. I think he is the only one left from easy company.

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
a good fiction author that i like is Stephen Leather. Theres a few books with main character thats ex-sas, few books based in kosovo etc etc. dont take em on holiday with your bird though *text deleted* there will be no converstation the whole time.........on second thoughts, maybe not such a bad idea

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Was in maidstone today looking for this book. I tryed waterstones and whsmith, both had soldout.

Looks like i'll have to order it online... does anyone know where the cheapest place to buy it is? They must accept paypal :twisted: Cheers!!

tetrusboy

Reaction score
Re: read

JoePRMC said:
Anyone read " 3 PARA " ??? I know its the paras like but its interesting regarging Afghan n that ????
think that post killed the thread.