good run considering

andy5sm

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i had a good run last night 3 miles in 24 mins but that is considering ive got shin splints and holding a current weight of 15st7 but only a stone to lose piece of p i s s then ill be back on track,
any advice in general?

max pressup(2 min) = 58
max situp (2 min) = 76
pull ups = 4
3miles 23.30
6miles 49.50

andy5sm

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
shin splints are when you dont train for a while in my case nearly three years and start to train arduously eg smash the arse out of it, it is the mucle on the shin bone starts to seperate from the bone and its really *text deleted**text deleted*ing painful , type it in on wikepedia!

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
any advice in general?
Sort your shin splints out before even thinking about running, from experience I know you will only make them worse.

If you have shin splints due to being flat footed I recommend insoles from www.yoursole.co.uk otherwise go and see a podiatrist or a physiotherapist.

DamageInc85

Reaction score
I've had shin splints for ages as a result of doing years of athletics at school and college. To be honest I reckon once you've got them you'll always have them in varying degrees of seriousness.
I saw a physio about them and he basically said if you feel them tweaking when your just walking then you need to stop any fitness regime your doing for 1 - 2 weeks and do the 'RICE' recovery program:

R - rest
I - ice
C - compression
E - elevation

Wrap your the front of your lower leg with a support/ compression bandage and an ice pack. When sitting down elevate your leg above waist level and watch the TV.
This recovery method works for me even though it's a pain in the arse not being able to exercise for a bit. Apart from that use common sense. ie. well cushioned running shoes and knowing when to rest before you do some long term damage. I've learnt the hard way that when your coaches tell you you can 'run the pain off', they're usually talking crap.