Government Military Policy

Discussion in 'General Military & Topical News' started by JMorriis, Dec 3, 2018.

1. JMorriis

JMorriis New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Here's an interesting one lads, just wandering what everyone thought of current government policy on defence..
    Any parties yous lot favour?

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Do you have a particular aspect of defence policy in mind? It's a very broad topic.

3. JMorriis

JMorriis New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Basically funding / party opinions on Trident (soon to be Dreadnaught), for example, where the Conservatives aim to maintain a significant military force and keep a nuclear deterrent the Green Party seek to reduce it massively and remove our nuclear deterrents.

4. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    to sum it up do we want a good strong military or a small *text deleted* one?

• Like Like x 1
  5. JMorriis

JMorriis New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yeah well how much does it influence your vote compared w other stuff

6. Joshusky

Joshusky New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Do they? Could have fooled me. Been up and down in military funding for the past decade I'd say. I would gladly be happy with a 3% gdp spend on the military and to lower or stop foreign aid to countries that do not need it such as India to give us a little bit extra to work with

• Like Like x 2
  7. JMorriis

JMorriis New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yeah like obviously the funding is up and down but there has not been any real attempt to deplete the Forces.. as far as I'm aware they just strain them rather than make them smaller.
    Apart from the plans they had to reduce Royal Marines numbers, which are still happening at 40 commando but were reduced because of the effort during Hurricane Irma.
    Then again I might be chatting total *text deleted*

8. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    well for me wanting to join the Army i want to be fighting with the best people and equipment and at the minute the military is going into some politically correct mess. From what i know the conservatives wish to maintain a good military, yet labour want to keep cutting costs on military spending and will most likely cut the number of serving personnel because they have the illusion that by cutting military costs they can give free healthcare, education and housing.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    in 2015 over 20,000 military personnel i am sure were cut from the military, there was also talk of disbanding the Royal Marines altogether. Correct me if i am wrong though.

10. kilofoxtrot

kilofoxtrot New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    There has been "talk" of a lot of things. They'll never happen.

Fact of the matter is no party will currently spend much more than they are doing on defence due to the fact we aren't at war at present. If for example Spain where to invade Gibraltar in the next few weeks, that is where we would see the device I'm party policies on increasing the defence budget. I'm pretty sure JerIra Corbyn would just allow the rock to be lost!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. Corvo50

Corvo50 Royal Marines Commando

Just left 40 after 2yrs there never heard of numbers being reduced, Delta got disbanded but the lads got redistributed to the other Company’s. There are still plans to move 40 Commando away from Taunton but no idea where your getting your information from about 40 reducing its manpower scale.

12. JMorriis

JMorriis New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Oh right that'll be it mate, must have been confused about delta getting redistributed

13. JMorriis

JMorriis New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I think along the same lines mate, some blind illusion

• Like Like x 1