Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Grade 1 hamstring strain

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by A350-800, Jun 26, 2019.

1. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Please can I just ask for some advice regarding an injury I picked up yesterday,
    Unfortunately last night I was doing some sprints and I strained my hamstring, I felt it tense up sunndenly and I had to hop off the track,
    There is no sharp pain, I have full range of movement and there dosent appear to be any swelling, bruising or loss of strength but it aches and I can't run without any spasm from the muscle.
    It dosent hurt if I am just sitting down but it feels very tight if I am walking,
    I am really gutted because I was working so hard with my training and I was just about to apply. I am also going to the RMX at Taunton on 13th July and I really hope to be able to go,
    I was just wondering if anyone else has had this injury at all and if they could provide me with some advice I know one has to keep everything in perspective but unfortunately this has really damaged my confidence!

Cheers guys

2. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Rest it. If you continue to stress the muscle, you'll tear it properly. A grade 1 tear is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. You've got 3 weeks until the RMX. If you take two weeks resting the leg and just keep on top of the core/upper body exercises, you can use the third week to blow out the cobwebs for the CV side of things, provided it's good to go.

You won't be able to get any solid med advice here as no one here is a doctor.

The simplest advice is this; it's only an experience day. It's not worth further, potentially permanent, injury. You've got an entire RM career to properly break yourself. Don't rush it.

Edit to add; I had a grade 2 tear in my hamstring a while back due to over training and then not resting when it initially went kerplunk.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thankyou very much for your reply and advice, I really appreciate it. I will take some time off running and focus on soups, pull ups, upper body and push ups. I will try to do a bit of swimming to keep up some cv fitness,
    I hope you don't mind me asking but what was the recovery like from your grade 2 strain?
    Thankyou:)

4. Illustrious

Long and arduous. Doctor said it was the worst grade 2 tear he'd seen, given the level of bruising and the fact it was purple across pretty much 50% of the rear of my leg.

• Like Like x 1
  5. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    That sounds awful!

6. Illustrious

I wish I could say I was doing something hoofing at the time, but I had gotten out of the shower and swung my leg up to dry it and it tore -vomit-

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  7. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I think the most annoying thing about hamstring injuries is they seem to happen without warning at completely random times

• Seen Seen x 1
  8. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I had some very bad news today,
    I went to the physio and she diagnosed me with a grade 2, possibly even grade 3 tear with a rehab period of 13 to 14 weeks. I am going to pay privately for an mri because I need to find the extent of the damage.
    I feel absolutely devastated, truly horrible

9. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    On the positive side she said I should make a full recovery but it has obliterated my confidence, I am so frightened that when I do get back into it it will come back again

10. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Really pleased tonight I was able to run about 5.8 km in 23 minutes and 52 seconds. I was careful to avoid any pain and it felt really comfortable with no pain, though I do feel pretty anxious getting back into things gradually

• Like Like x 6