Grappler

Lead Poison1981

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The new gym I've joined has a rope climbing machine.

Just after some decent workout ideas.

I'm thinking tabata rope climbs. Any ideas?

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The new gym I've joined has a rope climbing machine.

Just after some decent workout ideas.

I'm thinking tabata rope climbs. Any ideas?
I just pull down overhand as fast and as hard as i can untill my lungs are burning and arms are falling off. :laugh: You can oil them up too, and change then postions on some as if you was doing tug of war etc.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I really like this bit of kit. Works a lot of muscles that don't otherwise get worked, and in my opinion, helps with rope climbing, grip strength and pumps up the forearms.

Havn't got any good ideas for training it, but remember, you can PUSH UP with it, not JUST pull the rope downwards. Try planting a hand low down, then pulling the rope up so your hand finished above your head. Rinse, repeat...

I normally stick it on level 8, then do a few 'rounds' of down for x number of metres, and up x metres, with a lower body exercise e.g. alternate leg jumping-lunges in between.

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Havn't got any good ideas for training it, but remember, you can PUSH UP with it, not JUST pull the rope downwards. Try planting a hand low down, then pulling the rope up so your hand finished above your head. Rinse, repeat...
This what I ment haha, dam autocorrect changed pull to oil.

Lead Poison1981

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Cool. I haven't climbed a rope since leaving school so hopefully I'll get some unused muscles blasted.

There's some boxing bags next to the grappler so I'll do some conditioning work. Box, rope climb, box, rope climb, box, rope climb tabata finisher.

jable1066

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I just recently introduced tabata grapplers to my life. It wasn't particularly pleasant and it's easy to stop pulling hard during the end. I had to keep reminding myself that pulling hard and slower was more important than trying to rattle the rope down as quick as I could.

Followed it up with tabata hill sprints!

Lead Poison1981

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I just recently introduced tabata grapplers to my life. It wasn't particularly pleasant and it's easy to stop pulling hard during the end. I had to keep reminding myself that pulling hard and slower was more important than trying to rattle the rope down as quick as I could.

Followed it up with tabata hill sprints!
You're a beast of the highest proportion.

I did tabata grappler tonight. Stuck it on level 8, 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest, x8.

I had to sit down after as I felt sick.

Immense. I love it. I will have to do it again.