Grease the groove

Joe24780

Reaction score
Hi everyone, if anyone has any experience using grease the groove in the past i was wondering when would be the best time to grease the groove push ups if i did 3 full body bodyweight circuits on monday, wednesday and friday because i feel like its supposed to be done everyday but then i also feel like a day of rest is needed after a high intensity circuit, cheers.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I have used it in the past, mostly for pull ups. I also did with push ups but that one was more for endurance than strength building: 10 push ups every 10 minutes, I think I did it for 10 or 12 hours. You don’t need to do it for this long.

The original GTG for strength is 15 minutes or more rest between the sets and 50% of reps what you are capable of. Usually 10 sets are adequate and doing it every day, maybe a day off every few days like a 3 days on 1 day off format. And it’s for strength so if you can do more than 10 push ups it might not be the best option as you ideally choose an exercise where you do around 5 reps and not more. So for pushing it would be a one arm push up. That’s why it’s great for pull ups.
Alternatively of course you can do what I did with the push ups to get the reps in. To be honest I don’t think there is anything wrong with that format.
Anyway whichever exercise you choose to do it just don’t include it in any circuit.

I will leave Pavel to explain:

Joe24780

Reaction score
Anyway whichever exercise you choose to do it just don’t include it in any circuit.
Do you think something like 40% of my max 5 times throughout the day still be too much if i did it on tuesday and thursday, with monday, wednesday and friday being circuits because ive seen some people say that gtg could work on rest days since it doesnt fatigue the muscles while others say doing that would be too much

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do you think something like 40% of my max 5 times throughout the day still be too much if i did it on tuesday and thursday, with monday, wednesday and friday being circuits because ive seen some people say that gtg could work on rest days since it doesnt fatigue the muscles while others say doing that would be too much
If you not including that GTG exercise in your circuits it’s okay. That’s what I would do. Or in your circuits just include an alternative to that movement: push up as GTG and overhead press or dips in the circuit for example

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you not including that GTG exercise in your circuits it’s okay. That’s what I would do. Or in your circuits just include an alternative to that movement: push up as GTG and overhead press or dips in the circuit for example
Good advice that - also just be cautious about going in with too much volume, last thing you want is tendonitis and having to back off again.