'Greasing the grooves' for press ups

Biggles

Reaction score
Hi lads,

I had same problem myself maxing 35 a couple of months ago.

I tried gainers but didn't work for me even starting low.

Weirdly what has worked is the RM circuit which was on the big poster I got from the AFCO.

Also training for PJFT which is 30 reps each circuit has meant that I can now do 60 press ups no problem - perhaps just got stronger from doing the circuits.

I now do 4-5 circuits of the PFJT and I've found improvement in sit ups and press ups.

Also a good tip - bust out sub maximal sets as an when you can as opposed to having a set routine (that'll work too though) just as an extra.

So first thing AM bust out 20-30 then through out the day then you can just do as many sets as you can throughout the day. Keep it sub maximal though ie dont take it to failure.

The greasing the groove method is very successful (im a PT) and basically you are training the motor units in the muscles to get good at performing a specific exercise - you then become more efficient at performing said exercises and therefore stronger.

Hope that helps a bit - above all dont overthink just do press ups!

Reaction score
Hi lads,

I had same problem myself maxing 35 a couple of months ago.

I tried gainers but didn't work for me even starting low.

Weirdly what has worked is the RM circuit which was on the big poster I got from the AFCO.

Also training for PJFT which is 30 reps each circuit has meant that I can now do 60 press ups no problem - perhaps just got stronger from doing the circuits.

I now do 4-5 circuits of the PFJT and I've found improvement in sit ups and press ups.

Also a good tip - bust out sub maximal sets as an when you can as opposed to having a set routine (that'll work too though) just as an extra.

So first thing AM bust out 20-30 then through out the day then you can just do as many sets as you can throughout the day. Keep it sub maximal though ie dont take it to failure.

The greasing the groove method is very successful (im a PT) and basically you are training the motor units in the muscles to get good at performing a specific exercise - you then become more efficient at performing said exercises and therefore stronger.

Hope that helps a bit - above all dont overthink just do press ups!
Really useful advice, thanks for that.

Could you share the RM circuit off the poster you mentioned?

Biggles

Reaction score
No worries mate - correction! PJFT is only 20 press ups each round! Just completed it which was nice to get it done.

So yes in summary just practice practice practice the movements you are required to do - you'll get good at them soon enough. I messed around with weighted press ups and bench presses and all that but nothing beats the rule of specificity - train exactly for what you are expected to perform so in our case its muscular endurance and aerobic endurance.

Throughout the day jump on the bar and do some pull ups, bust out some press ups and some sit ups in the morning and evening. All sub maximal. I'll bet the next time you test (perform a test every 2 weeks or so) you'll have improved.

Heres the circuit from the poster - found it very effective.

Good luck.IMG_4934.jpg

Reaction score
No worries mate - correction! PJFT is only 20 press ups each round! Just completed it which was nice to get it done.

So yes in summary just practice practice practice the movements you are required to do - you'll get good at them soon enough. I messed around with weighted press ups and bench presses and all that but nothing beats the rule of specificity - train exactly for what you are expected to perform so in our case its muscular endurance and aerobic endurance.

Throughout the day jump on the bar and do some pull ups, bust out some press ups and some sit ups in the morning and evening. All sub maximal. I'll bet the next time you test (perform a test every 2 weeks or so) you'll have improved.

Heres the circuit from the poster - found it very effective.

Good luck.IMG_4934.jpg
Cheers!