Greatest soldier ever

Yossarian

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Just wondering, who do you guys think is the greatest soldier/officer in history? English, American, or any other nationality, be it a private, general, sailor, pilot etc.

Not trying to be pretentious or anything, I'm just at work and extremely bored!

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
In recent times at least, I reckon General Stanley McChrystal. He did more damage to the Taliban than any other General with his formation of Special Forces units tasked with taking out Taliban leadership faster than they could be replaced. Books like Task Force Black (one of the units involved) give a good insight.

calger14

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Simo H?*text deleted*?. If you don't know him look him up.

Baz7193

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Chuck Norris in Missing in Action, Closely followed by Casey Ryback...

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say General Sir Richard Dannat.

After reading his book, seeing how much he fought for the Private soldiers in the British Army. Even his wife was involved in raining funds for soldiers injured in Iraq and Afghanistan.

He also, stayed true to his beliefs and lost the oppotunity to be Chief of Defence Staff. Every soldier I've spoken to in the Army speak highly of the man.

He truly did lead from the front!!

C

C

In recent times at least, I reckon General Stanley McChrystal. He did more damage to the Taliban than any other General with his formation of Special Forces units tasked with taking out Taliban leadership faster than they could be replaced. Books like Task Force Black (one of the units involved) give a good insight.
Apparently everyday he runs 7-8 miles, eats only one meal and sleeps for only four hours. Mental.

Yossarian

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Very impressive, not a huge fan of snipers myself though!

Again not my own answer to the question, but quite a lot of people talk about Audie Murphy as being the greatest american soldier ever.

General Ike & Monty were both said to be very popular by their men in WW2 - a lot of soldiers cite Monty as the reason we triumphed in El Alamein

Baz7193

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I would say that the deciding factor in our victory in North Africa was Hitler denying fuel and support to Rommels Afrika Korps. I think Monty was very fortunate in a lot of respects.
Just my opinion, tis all...

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
It's *text deleted* be Jack Churchill, the perfect embodiment of the eccentric and ballsy British attitude.

EDIT - Haha beat me to it by a minute Jbc!

Baz7193

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
"Churchill gave the signal to attack by cutting down the enemy Feldwebel (sergeant) with his barbed arrows, becoming the only known British soldier to have felled an enemy with a longbow in the course of the war."

"As the ramps fell on the first landing craft, Churchill leapt forward from his position and played a song on his bagpipes, before throwing a grenade and running into battle in the bay."

"It is claimed that he and five other Commandos took down a whole German outpost of around 300 men. The mission took them three weeks, in which time they hid in the dense undergrowth surrounding the outpost, surviving on a diet of Marmite and salami."

This guy is awesome!! Ally isn't even the word!

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
David Stirling was an eccentric who broke in to HQ to put his plans across to formulate the SAS.

Also, Pete Winner. Oman including the battle of Mribat 1972, Northen Ireland, Hong Kong where he was the last British soldier to be flogged, the Iranian Embassy Siege, the Falklands. He was also an innovator of British SF techniques that are still used today. From all accounts, he was an exeptional soldeir, sharp, intelligent and incredibly fit!!

Yossarian

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
What an absolute hero! I remember in the forgotten voices book some of the soldiers described him as inspirational.

A longbow, what a legend!

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Since Jack Churchill has already been mentioned, I'm going to say Major *text deleted**text deleted* Winters; an inspirational and humble officer.