Green beret.

Lufc87

Reaction score
Just a quick question guys, do you wear your green beret whilst on ops? Just I know you wear a helmet when in contact situ but like if for say your in a green zone would you wear your beret or not?
Curious to know.

Ant. :dontaskme:

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
Would you rather get shot in the head wearing a helmet or a beret?

Lufc87

Reaction score
I guess a helmet but I gues I was more wondering when you would wear the beret and when you wouldn't.?

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If a 7.62's going to penetrate both, it'd still be better to wear a helmet.

You don't want to stain your beret.

In seriousness though, I've seen footage of RM wearing berets on patrol when going for a 'softer' approach, helmets hanging by their waist. It's unlikely now though, what with the constant threat. There's also quite a lot of 03-04 Iraq photos of RM in berets when outside of the wire.

Lufc87

Reaction score
In seriousness though, I've seen footage of RM wearing berets on patrol when going for a 'softer' approach, helmets hanging by their waist. It's unlikely now though, what with the constant threat. There's also quite a lot of 03-04 Iraq photos of RM in berets when outside of the wire.
This is where I was getting at, you see pictures/ footage of RM wearing there berets for a softer approach but how often/ likely is this to happen now a days.?

Ant.

Jbc

Reaction score
If a 7.62's going to penetrate both, it'd still be better to wear a helmet.
I know 2 lads that have been shot in the head with 7.62 - both survived those contacts. Won't stop a direct trajectory but glancing shots will lodge or ricochet.

Jbc

Reaction score
This is where I was getting at, you see pictures/ footage of RM wearing there berets for a softer approach but how often/ likely is this to happen now a days.?

Ant.
Highly doubtful unless task called for soft approach.

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I find it interesting to see images from the Falklands war where Marines are wearing their berets rather than helmets, even in combat.

Were helmets not normal issue 30 years ago? Or did they feel that the Argentine forces would recognise their berets and immediately lose heart?

Jbc

Reaction score
I find it interesting to see images from the Falklands war where Marines are wearing their berets rather than helmets, even in combat.

Were helmets not normal issue 30 years ago? Or did they feel that the Argentine forces would recognise their berets and immediately lose heart?
Haha I've read reports that suggest just that!

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I remember a story from Iraq or Afghan a few years ago where a group of Marines were under fire and in the..er..'deep end'. Situation looked pretty dire. Then the Troop Sergeant took his helmet off, put his Green Beret on, and said to his men something like: "This thing's bullet-proof. Follow me!" and he got them all out of there :weird:

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I know 2 lads that have been shot in the head with 7.62 - both survived those contacts. Won't stop a direct trajectory but glancing shots will lodge or ricochet.
Either luck or, if anyone's a believer, their god of choice saved them! The fact you know 2 lads who've experienced this is even more stunning.

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I remember a story from Iraq or Afghan a few years ago where a group of Marines were under fire and in the..er..'deep end'. Situation looked pretty dire. Then the Troop Sergeant took his helmet off, put his Green Beret on, and said to his men something like: "This thing's bullet-proof. Follow me!" and he got them all out of there :weird:
love it! Ross man you seem to have been here for ages! good luck on your PRMC!

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
love it! Ross man you seem to have been here for ages! good luck on your PRMC!
Yes. Yes I have :rolleyes:. Series of bad timings and injuries have held me back this long! Never given up hope, and it's paid off. I finally have a PRMC date. Figured that the years will pass regardless of whether I'm still in the process or not. So I might as well still be in it than not. Sure enough, the time passed and as a result of staying in it, here I am :bud:
Cheers for the good luck message!

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Cant remember whether he was a Para or a Bootneck, but in the falklands a troop officer wore a black wooly hat instead of his helmet because his head was too big for his helmet :eek:

A lad got shot in the helmet with us aswell, never saw him without a helmet on after that funnily enough :uglyhammer:
Hes still got the round aswell :amazed:

Titch_SA

Reaction score
Cant remember whether he was a Para or a Bootneck, but in the falklands a troop officer wore a black wooly hat instead of his helmet because his head was too big for his helmet :eek:
Are the helmets 'one size fits all'...or are there different sizes?

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
How are the helmets rated? If your helmet takes a hit is it a case of binning it and getting a new one or are they still good to go?

I would have thought they would be fine still but was just wondering.

Jbc

Reaction score
How are the helmets rated? If your helmet takes a hit is it a case of binning it and getting a new one or are they still good to go?

I would have thought they would be fine still but was just wondering.
I like to think that if you did get shot in the head, the CQMS would let you swap it 1-for-1 mind you, successfully removing kit from stores is like winning a gameshow!

I'd probably keep my helmet as a souvenier as well.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I like to think that if you did get shot in the head, the CQMS would let you swap it 1-for-1 mind you, successfully removing kit from stores is like winning a gameshow!

I'd probably keep my helmet as a souvenier as well.
Haha you would definitely want to keep it but if it was me i would definitely be more comfortable with a new one to wear!

Mind you the chances of getting shot in the head twice...