Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Guidance notes for overseas applicants

Discussion in 'Overseas Section' started by Ninja_Stoker, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

A non-UK citizen may undergo selection for swimmer canoeist.

A student (non-UK citizen) studying in the UK, for a masters can apply to join the Royal Marines however the Visa eligibility to take up employment is between the applicant & the Home Office, the service will not get involved with visa validity prior to joining the service,

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Once eligibility is confirmed via London AFCO, you should arrange your selection process via the most conveniently located AFCO (link below) several months before you intend flying to UK.

3. proudwolf

proudwolf New Member

Thanks, ninja. much appreciated

4. dylan-7

dylan-7 Member

Would I be correct in saying Irish people do not count as ''overseas'' and therefore do not need the residency thing some foreign nationals need? Bit confused there. Also, what about the SBS in regards to foreign nationals? Can people from all nations apply for the SBS, or is that strictly-UK, like Officers?

5. Kiddeh

Kiddeh Royal Marines Commando

We are overseas applicants though residency doesn't apply to us... as long as we've lived permanently in Ireland or the UK for the last 5 years there's no issues... and since your 16 I'd be sure you've no issues with that...

everything else we are basically approached as UK nationals except for when it comes to security clearance... the Brits get a fancy online form to fill in... overseas applicants get a painfully detailed 30 page document to fill out... and according to my CA the slightest mistake means it's sent back to be filled out again...

and anyone can apply for the special forces... but realistically you won't be doing it till you've been here a while at which point you'd probably be entitled to residency... anyway forget about SF for now lad... your 16 so you a long ways off... worry about the RM first if that's what you want ta do

and for all the nay sayers who are inevitably going to tell me "why shouldn't he plan for his future and think about the SF" cause he has no idea whether he will like an army lifestyle at all and planning that far ahead is pointless... it's like coming out of the womb and saying i'm going to marry Miley Cyrus without even knowing your sexual orientation yet....

6. dylan-7

dylan-7 Member

I agree with you, i'm not thinking about SF at all, i was just wondering where we stood in relation to that. Thanks for all the information, kiddeh.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Completely agree with Kiddeh's comments above.

As an aside, what maybe of interest, is that in my experience, a disproportionate number of non-Brits seem to be serving in UKSF.

Several possibile reasons for this:

1.Non-Brit accents probably stand out more from the norm, so they're more readily noticed.

2. Those prepared to make the effort, travelling from afar to join what may not be an obvious first choce military career are fairly motivated, perhaps even driven to push themselves further than the average British guy.

3. They're generally bonkers if they pass selection. :bigsmile:

8. Kiddeh

Kiddeh Royal Marines Commando

Indeed Ninja....

The obvious reason to myself is some one travelling from over seas has made an active decision to say the military is what they want... whereas a large number of British applicants will be just people looking for a job and to serve their country, thats not however to say by any means that British applicants aren't as dedicated just that when it's shown in stats applicants from Fiji, South Africa and the Republic of Ireland look better purely because the number of people serving from that country in relation to the number of them in the SF is much higher as a percentage than that of British people in the forces relative to the SF....

still though Brits make up the vast majority of the SF obviously still interesting though the amount of Irish in particular VC and other Gallantry medal winners in relation to the number of them serving in the British Services....

another interesting story is that an Irish person was the first to win VC's in many different rights... such as

The first VC ever won was for Mate Lucas from Armagh. He won it at the Baltic in the Crimea war.
    The first soldier (non-officer) to win the VC was Sgt Luke O?Connor from Elton in Roscommon. He won his at the Crimea war.
    The First civillian to win the VC was Irish. Reverend Adams in 1881
    The first VC of the First World War was won by an Irishman, Lieutenant Dease.
    The first VC of the Second World War was won by an Irishman.
    The youngest VC was 2 Irish lads at 15 years and 3 months. They won VCs ? they were medical orderlies. One was in China in 1860, the other was in India.

and theirs a few more which i can't find or remember but we have a strong history in the British Forces... no to mention there's not a single story about the SAS that doesn't include a mad "mick" of some variety

9. Jager_SA

Jager_SA New Member

Very good point Kiddeh. I'm still studying at University from South Africa and cant wait to send my formal application to join. Just a few months until graduation.

If you want to joint from overseas you HAVE to be 110% dedicated and be certain that this is what you want to do. Preparing yourself physically, mentally and with the right knowledge to ensure you know all you can about the Royal Marine Commandos. (Speaking for myself) As an overseas application, I can not afford to second guess my decision once i'm there. This is a opportunity of a lifetime and (speaking for all overseas candidates) a privileged to be given the opportunity to become a Royal Marine Commando.

10. Titch_SA

Titch_SA Member

Case-in-point: 2 years worth of saving, R25 000, countless hours of physical preparation, one return plane ticket from Cape Town to London. EPIC excitement, 7 weeks. 1 annoying little glitch. FAIL :suspicious:

11. Gregfey

Gregfey New Member

Rm application

To Whom It May Concern:

I?m a South African, from Pietermaritzburg, Natal. Matriculated from Maritzburg College in 2006, Graduated Bachelor Fine Arts Honours from UKZN.
    I?ve planned everything down to 3 months.

August:
    ? Get Visa (Visitors)
    ? Book Flight to London (for Beginning of November)
    ? Book Selection Tests into 2 to 3 weeks (I heard that it is possible, if you book ahead of time by 12+ Weeks)
    ? Get Medical History (I could get it now, as from the 26th Feb I?m officially off Med Aid, because I?m not studying)
    September:
    ? Get Police Security Clearance (Absolute pain, have to wait a month or two before it arrives back from Pretoria? ,Exaggerating, Only 3 month validity)
    October:
    ? Receive my 3 References from Saffas? serving in Armed Forces.
    November:
    ? Flight to Heathrow, London? WOOP WOOP! Start selection the next day!
    (I?m not sure when I should apply? Could I apply from now and still book selection for November?)

I?ve got 3 guys from school who are serving in the Armed Forces. 1 from the Para?s, 1 from the The Rifles? and 1 from the Royal Marines. I am not sure what they are supposed to write on the Reference letter/Form?
    The Para has asked me specifically what he has to write!
    Does this form have to have his Name, Rank, Unit, Armed Forces Number, etc.?

My Uncle, who is a British Citizen, is going to write me a sponsor letter. I?ve been told I need a relative who is in Country to be a sponsor etc. (I?m not staying with him, He lives in Bournemouth, I?m staying 2 km from the London AFCO). I?m not sure what he is supposed to write on the Letter. Also must all the References be posted with their signatures on? Including my Uncles Sponsor letter?
    When I go to get my Visa, do I have to go to Pretoria, as there is a VFS (Visa...? F?something? S?something) in Durban which is part of the Pretoria Embassy as the UK Consulate in Durban closed down a couple of years ago.

Thanks a ton

Greg

12. Alex.ramsay

Alex.ramsay New Member

Hi i am from the UK but i moved 2 Cyprus in 2006 and have been hear since will i still have to go through all of these requirements?

Admin Edit: Call the helpline; 03456 00 14 44 to confirm eligibility

13. picoto

picoto New Member

looking to join

Hey guys I am from South Africa and I am keen on joining.
    I would like to be a foot solider and not at see what is that post.after that must I just phone the number and they will give me the details on how to apply.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Welcome

To be honest the clue with regard the nature of the job is the definition of the title "Marine" and the description on the recruiting website:

Royal Marines do spend a larger proportion of time working ashore but the nature of the job pretty much guarantees time afloat at some point.

If you wish to serve exclusively on land then the British Army is probably a more viable option.

15. SPQR

SPQR New Member

Hello,

I am a U.S. born, recently naturalized Canadian citizen. With that being said, am I eligible to enter service as a Royal Marines Commando now that I am a Commonwealth citizen? In order for me to apply, will I require some type of waiver for not having been born a citizen of the Commonwealth? If so, exactly how difficult would it be for someone such as myself to acquire the supposed waiver?

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions, I look forward to your response.

16. littlejoe

littlejoe New Member

Edigibility to Join the British Royal Marine/NAVY

Hello! I would like to know if I can be recruited from Jamaica as a Jamaican citizen to join the Navy or the Marine,my father was a British citizen ,where he work and travel to other contries such Toronto,Canada and othe places within England,well sad to say he died January 19,2000.As his son born Jamaica,32 years of age and he was not married to my mother who is a Jamaican too,but she has travel to te UK with my dad in her younger days before i was born,am I qualify to join the Marine as i can prove that my father is a British citizen.

I have local qualifications such as Diploma and Certificates in Industrial Maintenance Technician in Electrical and Electronics and Level One Electrical Installation,4 CXC'S ,High School leaving Certificate and a Certiciate in Supervisory Management from the University of the West Indies.Let me know if it is possible to join the Marine/Navy.

17. OneMoreWrap

OneMoreWrap Member

Am I correct in saying you are 32?

For RM you must begin training by your 33rd birthday.

18. littlejoe

littlejoe New Member

What about the Navy then.

19. OneMoreWrap

OneMoreWrap Member

Before your 37th birthday generally,

Depends on trade though, maybe higher for medical jobs as they hire professionals.

You will have to look at what job you would like to do first.

Make contact to confirm eligibility aswell , otherwise you could be wasting your time.

20. Valour

Valour Member