guidance required

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hi guys gta a bit of a dilema.

The the thing is i really want to become a royal marines commando asap but as i am 17 i feel i will be a young recruit compared to some 20 and up year olds and could be left out or feel left out because of my age.
But i am a strong character, just this will be very different to many scenarios i have been in before.
Can anyone help me as what to do i was thinking of waiting till may next year to submit all.

Thanks in advance
C j

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you think your ready for it go for it, when you start your application and complete everything upto PRMC, you can wait until you are ready there is not rush there its just up to you then when you feel ready mentally and physically.

andyaikido

Reaction score
I'm going to be 26 when I get to apply and feel I might be a bit old. Same sort of thing but from the other direction.

I can't see it being a problem, every one will be coming from different backgrounds to do the same training and eventually, job.

If anything youth has got to be a plus point. Easier to recover from injury, etc.

will

Reaction score
or8 CommandoJ im currently 16 and when i went down to my prmc there were people alot older but i didnt get left out at all. every one was sorted and friendly and there wasnt a bad person on the course at all.

will

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Young/Old

Don't let your age worry you. There will be others in the same age group.
Those under 20 will feel young and those over 25 will feel old. Its all in the mind really. Your ability and determination to succeed is what counts in the end.

Forget the age thing. Just give it your all.

All the very best

Steve

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
andyaikido said:
I'm going to be 26 when I get to apply and feel I might be a bit old. Same sort of thing but from the other direction.

I can't see it being a problem, every one will be coming from different backgrounds to do the same training and eventually, job.

If anything youth has got to be a plus point. Easier to recover from injury, etc.
I'll be 26 as well mate, no problems really. In fact the RM from what I hear enjoy older recruits. A bit more experience, and generally get promoted quicker.

As for you CommandoJ, just crack on mate. Either you will find out its not for you at an early age which is good, or, you pass out and enjoy a long wonderful career in the Marines.

Phys Ninja

Reaction score
My mate joined straight outta high school wen he was 16, passed RT as a original at jus ova 17! done 2yrs FPG, now anti-tank weapons trained and off to ghaners in September.....

yes it can be done

Ninja

callum1234

Reaction score
*text deleted* worry *text deleted* im 16 now turning 17 nxt month and thats when im looking to go in, i'm not worried about my age just concerned on whether i'll be able to keep up with my troop

Joe B

Reaction score
Hey, im 16 at the moment and looking to join up when im in january as ill be 17. ive got my interview on wednesday and then hopefully do everything else pretty soon after that. but i was advised to wait until about september to do my PRMC as if i do it soon then they might ask me back to re-do it because they might think ive lost my fitness levels. what im doing is joining up with my mate so hopefully that will make it easier to settle in as i know i wont be the youngest one there, but i do know that there is only a slight chance that we will actually pass out in the same recruit squad. to be honest being 17 and young hasnt bothered me, i think it would be better and a great achievement to do it at such a young age.

my advice CommandoJ is to go for it if u feel ready :)

Joe

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
do whats right for u and no one else, they will most likely get on with you