Gutted but thankyou.

Stoo2k

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Just wanted to say a big thankyou to all those who i have spoken to on this brilliant forum and helped with various choices and issues.
I am gutted to say that after much deliberation that i have decided to move away from joining the RM for a couple of reasons.
The first one being that i was given a 2 year TMU because of my posterior tibialis syndrome, which would take me very close to the joining limit
Things were getting better over the last year. Started going to BMF and bought myself a treadmill as my legs were getting good again. Got to running a mile and a half in just under ten minutes but i more times than not had the odd niggle problem here and there but nothing a couple of ibuprofen and a ice pack couldn't sort.
I had a second appointment in December with my orthopedic surgeon and he confirmed that i have posterior tibialis syndrome (if thats how its spelt?) and his words to me were, "never in a million years will you get your legs good enough to join the military"! Hence where my signature came from as i did not agree with this one bit.
Didnt think much of it then as my legs were getting alot better so cracked on with the training regardless.Not sure if you came across the thread but another guy on here said that he had been given a permanent bar to entry for having the same problem as me. I rang the afco after much debate to see if it was a case by case basis or an out-right rule and thankfully it was case by case, or so i thought. I was asked to explain how things were with my legs now as it had been 2 years since the start of my application. This led to him saying i have a further 2 year TMU! GUTTED.
After the phone call i decided to have a couple of weeks to think about things as i have a family, secure job but a very, very strong desire to join the RM. I had a look at all my options over the couple of weeks and decided to join the ARMY and go for Royal Artillery. Specifically 29 commando. That way i get to go for my green beret still, be based in Plymouth so the family (mainly the little one) wont be effected and i get a pension etc, etc as with military life.
I decided that the RM was definitely a dream but being part of the bigger picture again was also a dream. There are many, many reasons for me doing one thing or another but its not just me i have to think about. I get swayed easily which is why i didn't post anything to start with, plus i don't like to mope but just crack on.
Adapt and over come!

Once again, thankyou very much for the brilliant reading this forum makes on a daily basis. :praise:

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It's a shame mate. I can't imagine how you feel to be honest.

Good luck getting into 29. Don't be a stranger now.

Baron

Reaction score
Gutted for you mate.

I've actually recently been diagnosed with posterior tibial tendon dysfunction, and I think it's pretty much exactly the same thing? Physiotherapy has helped, and my new orthotics feel like they're doing the trick, and both my physio and podiatrist think I could be up and running in as little as a couple of weeks. But when I seriously think about it, I don't see how it will ever improve to the point where I'm capable of taking on the rigours of RM recruit training; but you never know.

Best of luck in all your endeavours.

Mitch2012

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Really gutted for you mate! Good luck in the artillery!

Wilke

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Good thing you sticking it to that quack! And really sad for your sake mate. But its great to hear you'll keep on fighting and I'm certain the green beret will yours shortly!!

And good luck to you Baron. Hope you dont have the same thing.

Stoo2k

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Baron
I had that feeling deep down all the time which wasnt helped through the negativity of others. I perhaps would of still gone for the RM if i was younger and persevered with it. I hope things go how you want it to.

Stoo2k

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago i was not much fun to be around but after making my desicion and reading up alot about 29 commando and the RA i am happy again that i have a goal to work towards.
If you cant get to where you want to go, change course and try again. I will get there. Im damn sure of that.

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Good luck, got a friend who's going for the 29 Commando route asswell! Smash it up mate! :shakehands:

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
All the best with your new direction, with you're attitude I can't imagine you'll come across many difficulties.

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago i was not much fun to be around but after making my desicion and reading up alot about 29 commando and the RA i am happy again that i have a goal to work towards.
If you cant get to where you want to go, change course and try again. I will get there. Im damn sure of that.
absolutely inspiring! been in "the prcoess" a little less than baron but struggling with the idea of wrapping it in before giving my all a second time around! 29cmdo have themselves a very good bloke on the way!
keep going buddy!

Stoo2k

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thankyou so much for the kind words.
Keeping your head up is the only way to see forward.

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You mean you're not joining the Marines???!

A couple of weeks ago i was not much fun to be around
:iagree:
And for the few years before that :amuse:

On a more serious note, I won't give a long speech on here about how you have such determination when you set your mind to something that I know you'll succeed in whatever you do, and that green makes you look fat so it's probably for the better, as I've said it many times before.
Good luck, and stay close!

Ross

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Fair play for making the tough decision, it must not have been easy, but I look forward to hearing how you get on with 29 Commando RA. All the best mate.

Stoo2k

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I intend to stay around and contribute to this site as it is by far the best for advice on pretty much anything related to joining the MOD.
Also to give a certain few some grief.

HMGinger

Reaction score
Good luck pal, make sure to let us know how things go with the Royal Artillery!

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Best of luck with it Stoo2k,
The dogged determination you have will get you a long way.

Atb