Gutted

mugen_power

Reaction score
Well some of you may not know me on a personal level but I've posted a few times and read these forums daily for advice and motivation.

My Marine preperations were starting to get on course, I was starting to hit all targets needed etc.

However until a few weeks ago that is......

Along came the first pre-season friendly match for my local football team, 10 minutes into it I was hit by a savage late tackle which suprisingly didn't hurt as much as it should of at first, that was until I saw my leg....

I had suffered a complete fracture of both the Tibia and Fibula and a dislocation of the ankle, this was also a compound fracture which means the bone made an uninvited appearance through the skin, had also suffered achilles tendon damage, bad times!

Couple of operations later, its back together.

Anyway obviously this has seriously delayed my chances of getting into the Marines if not ended them completely, as I'm not sure if my leg will ever be strong enough to make it through the 9 months of RT.

Who knows, the doctors have said I should recover fine and play football again so I'm holding onto hope and won't give up until my leg physically can't do it and even then I'll push some more.

Anyway sorry for the essay, just thought I'd let everyone know how it's going.

Take it easy.

Rob 1984

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Bloody hell a tackle that bad in a pre-season friendly, whats a competative game like?

I feel for you mate, hope everything works out.

mugen_power

Reaction score
Yep, the worst part is I didn't even get a freekick for the tackle, was a legal tackle apparently :wondering:

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Sh*t

sorry mate, hope everything goes well mate. good luck (Y)

Rob 1984

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, the worst part is I didn't even get a freekick for the tackle, was a legal tackle apparently :

i bet the guy who tackled you was well pleased, not realising the consequences of one bad tackle.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I had suffered a complete fracture of both the Tibia and Fibula and a dislocation of the ankle, this was also a compound fracture which means the bone made an uninvited appearance through the skin, had also suffered achilles tendon damage, bad times!

Ouch, Ouch, Ouchie!

Sorry to hear of your woes fella- the very best wishes for a speedy recovery and future aspirations.

mugen_power

Reaction score
Cast has been removed today and left off, just a plastic removable cast now :smile:

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, your injury sounds painfull, i feel for you. You just need to rest untill they say your ok to re-train. By your attitude i think you got the determination to get on with it and forget about your injury, i have done that once in the past.
All the best mate!

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
wait wait wait, till your fit again man, dont want to rush back into training.

glad to here your getting there.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Ounch, unlucky pal....

Hope your leg is healing up. At the moment it might be hard to see yourself doing phys again, but give it time and these things WILL heal!
You need to have a positive mental attitude like your doctors have, and don't allow that you start feeling sorry for yourself!

I spent 6 weeks on crutches/leg cast at the in May/June and just used the time to improve on upper body strength!
Every cloud has a silver lining mate, even if it is hard to see!

Rob Wallace

Reaction score
Yeah mate, dig in.... *text deleted* leg might not stand up to RT.... but you will never know unless you try. Dont give up your dream for anyone.... If you fail , then atleast you gave it an amazing effort. And if you pass..... you will have overcome more than most ever will.

Dig in and dont lose hope.

scriv184

Reaction score
dont worry mate i got run over by a car travelling at 50 mph broke my right tibia and fibula and right and left femurs i got pins in both my legs,and when put my application in the didnt even worry about that.As long as your fully healed up youll be fine,might take a while thought good luck

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
unlucky mate hope to see you(and hopefully me:bigsmile:).........with the green beret one day

mugen_power

Reaction score
Quick update....

Well lads, completely out of cast now and walking well, I have maintained full movement in my ankle which is awesome, saving me months of physiotherapy.

I'm not too far behind fitness wise really, despite being in cast I was still doing upper body work and was able to use a rowing machine while in cast to help keep up my CV fitness.

Started to use an exercise bike now and also some gentle jogging for a mile a day which is feeling good, my calf starts to cramp slightly but that is to be expected given the muscle wastage while in cast and not using it.

So all in all I'm quite happy as I'm well ahead of schedule, which leaves me a lot of time to not rush it and build my leg muscle back up
:rock:

J.

stoker0nine

Reaction score
Quick update....

Well lads, completely out of cast now and walking well, I have maintained full movement in my ankle which is awesome, saving me months of physiotherapy.

I'm not too far behind fitness wise really, despite being in cast I was still doing upper body work and was able to use a rowing machine while in cast to help keep up my CV fitness.

Started to use an exercise bike now and also some gentle jogging for a mile a day which is feeling good, my calf starts to cramp slightly but that is to be expected given the muscle wastage while in cast and not using it.

So all in all I'm quite happy as I'm well ahead of schedule, which leaves me a lot of time to not rush it and build my leg muscle back up
:rock:

J.

That's great news mate.

So I take it the Corps dream is not lost?

When you resuming your application?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Good news & best of luck to you- just keep building gradually- you'll get there.