Gym Habits

cammydfc5

Reaction score
As you can probably tell this is another case of boredum being solved by posting unnecessary threads on here!

Been thinking over the last couple of months about how frustrated I get in the gym sometimes and thought i'd see if anyone else shares this! A few examples are:

The "January Crew", who have made the New Years Resolution to join a gym and turn into an athlete, and pack the gym full for 4 weeks then retire back to their previous ways!

The regular muscle men who never leave the comfort of the weights corner, as of they did they would be completely and utterly useless as they are far to big to function!

And people wearing the likes of trousers, a hoody, and a wooly hat, as if it's not hot enough?!?!

Kiwi_Sisam

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
YES!

I don't use a gym anymore but I used to go four nights a week and know EXACTLY what you mean.

I also hate the "start of Summer" crew.
The ones that suddenly realised they don't look so good at the beach (this was back home where decent beaches exist) as they remember so they start showing up at the gym and trying to lift WAAAY above what they should be lifting.

I can honestly say that I do not miss the gym. I miss some of the equipment sometimes though.

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
And people wearing the likes of trousers, a hoody, and a wooly hat, as if it's not hot enough?!?!
:laugh: I do that minus the hat, start as you meen to go on, you dont get to play in shorts and a vest top on PRMC.

cammydfc5

Reaction score
:laugh: I do that minus the hat, start as you meen to go on, you dont get to play in shorts and a vest top on PRMC.
I have a man, comes to my local gym every time I go during the day without fail. He's a window cleaner and comes in in the cold weather gear he wears when working, sits on the same bench, does 3 sets in about an hour, then goes away!

TheGeek

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You did indeed! I'm on my phone and hadn't noticed, you take all credit!
Ahh mate alas not my thread, but I just thought it quite funny two guys posting essentially the same thread in such a short space.

Geek

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

Oz25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Haha! I'm glad i'm not the only one who has these frustrations!

I went to the gym tonight, and you had a group of 14 year olds surrounding one piece of gum equipment, talking about protein, creatine and bodybuilding. They then proceeded to lift dumbells and barbells incorrectly.

Then you have the roid head guys, who you only ever see benching the heavy weights. Never seen one of them do a pull up or run on the treadmill. Funny that...

Then you have the overweight people, who generally sit on a bike for 5 mins, walk on a treadmill at a speed slower than a snail, then go home. That will do the trick!

So i will be cancelling my membership the moment I pass my PJFT. Then I will use the hills and dales as my training ground!

TheGeek

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Haha! I'm glad i'm not the only one who has these frustrations!

I went to the gym tonight, and you had a group of 14 year olds surrounding one piece of gum equipment, talking about protein, creatine and bodybuilding. They then proceeded to lift dumbells and barbells incorrectly.

Then you have the roid head guys, who you only ever see benching the heavy weights. Never seen one of them do a pull up or run on the treadmill. Funny that...

Then you have the overweight people, who generally sit on a bike for 5 mins, walk on a treadmill at a speed slower than a snail, then go home. That will do the trick!

So i will be cancelling my membership the moment I pass my PJFT. Then I will use the hills and dales as my training ground!
That's another one that irks me, people with appauling form in the gym, the ones screaming out for a brutal injury just to teach them to at least try to control the obviously too heavy weight.

Geek

cammydfc5

Reaction score
The group of 14 year olds seems another group that is at every gym!

A recent group I've discovered is the older women in the swimming pool, who when I dared to go for a swimming circuit in my pool during their quiet relaxing Sunday afternoon chat, and even considering I was in the lane with the sign "Fast Lane", had to tell me that this was absolutely outrageous and I was a yobbo! Of course, how dare I even do a bit of cv?

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The fat birds with their guts hanging out is horrific!! It's all stretch marks and flab!!

The idiots on their phones who refuse to move off equipment you need!!

TheGeek

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The group of 14 year olds seems another group that is at every gym!

A recent group I've discovered is the older women in the swimming pool, who when I dared to go for a swimming circuit in my pool during their quiet relaxing Sunday afternoon chat, and even considering I was in the lane with the sign "Fast Lane", had to tell me that this was absolutely outrageous and I was a yobbo! Of course, how dare I even do a bit of cv?

I always find it better to swim with the oldies, they give you peace at my pool, whereas at the weekends the pool is full of sproggs.

Geek

cammydfc5

Reaction score
I always find it better to swim with the oldies, they give you peace at my pool, whereas at the weekends the pool is full of sproggs.

Geek
You must look a lot more of a good guy than me.. As apparently I was worst thing to ever have appeared on this earth!

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
  • People who set up 14 different sets of equipment on multiple stations because they want to do "a circuit"
  • People that curl in the squat rack
  • People that start asking me questions and try to strike up a conversation when I'm mid-set.
  • Partial-reppers (because lifting a weight you can't actually lift makes you really cool)
  • Back-brace: Check! Wrist straps: Check! Reebok lifting shoes: Check! Chalk: Check! Deadlift 40kg twice.
  • Bad form is ok (and part of learning) not using anything resembling form is unforgivable.
  • People that go to the gym with the sole intention of using a treadmill
  • City-types: Monday: Chest, Tuesday: Chest, Wednesday: Chest, Thursday: Chest, Friday: Chest Saturday: Rest, Sunday: Biceps.

The list goes on... and on.

Kentish

Reaction score
  • People who set up 14 different sets of equipment on multiple stations because they want to do "a circuit"
    [*]People that curl in the squat rack
    [*]People that start asking me questions and try to strike up a conversation when I'm mid-set.
  • Partial-reppers (because lifting a weight you can't actually lift makes you really cool)
    [*]Back-brace: Check! Wrist straps: Check! Reebok lifting shoes: Check! Chalk: Check! Deadlift 40kg twice.
  • Bad form is ok (and part of learning) not using anything resembling form is unforgivable.
    [*]People that go to the gym with the sole intention of using a treadmill
    [*]City-types: Monday: Chest, Tuesday: Chest, Wednesday: Chest, Thursday: Chest, Friday: Chest Saturday: Rest, Sunday: Biceps.

Bold - Laugh.

Underline - Death stare the moment they say anything other than "are you using this?"

Italic - Ha, I've done this, as I'm sure many others have on this site, purely for PJFT prep. Admittedly I'd then use the bike or something, but still. It's the people you see walking at 3km holding on to the front that bug me. I want to hurt them.

Baron

Reaction score
  • People that curl in the squat rack
  • People that start asking me questions and try to strike up a conversation when I'm mid-set.
    [*]Back-brace: Check! Wrist straps: Check! Reebok lifting shoes: Check! Chalk: Check! Deadlift 40kg twice.
  • People that go to the gym with the sole intention of using a treadmill
  • City-types: Monday: Chest, Tuesday: Chest, Wednesday: Chest, Thursday: Chest, Friday: Chest Saturday: Rest, Sunday: Biceps.

HA! All the gear, no idea.

One of my hates is people who carry around protein shakes with them during their workout. It's like their body requires this constant drip of protein, and to go an hour without would quite simply be unthinkable.

I don't know how they can do it. It takes me at least 30 minutes post-workout before I can stomach anything.

dnn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I hate those guys in the gym that force eye contact with complete stangers... Oh wait, I'm one of those guys.

DPS

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I don't go to the gym anymore. As I have encountered all of the things listed above. Jbc's being probably the most common along with the 14 year olds.

Unfortunately where I live is all about those big chests and arms. So plenty of them look like they would fall over with one push due to being massively top heavy as they have never once squated. They strut around giving me funny looks because I'm not wearing a glittery henleys t-shirt or a gucci tight training top but I am sweating my back out. So I don't look good in the full length mirrors they parade around in front of after lifting some form of free-weight about twice.

Fat guys that think they're big. Nah mate, you're just fat and you have no clue what you're doing. You're only here because your mate over there is massive and you're jelly. If you want to train be my guest but instead you're bouncing around being loud pretending to run the show with your little gloves that have never been used.

People who sign up for a personal trainer then moan at them if they push them a bit too hard. "Ooo no I can't go that fast, it's too difficult" - and that madame, is why you're fat.

I don't mind the treadmill goers, if they're actually trying or going for some time at a decent speed. I know everyone has to start somewhere but 5 minutes at 3kph gripping onto the front of it isn't doing anyone any good. You probably burnt more walking into the gym.

I could go on but I won't. That however, is why I don't go to the gym.