Gym workouts

ScreamingCelt

Reaction score
Always done my workouts at home and never really done much weight training before. With the gyms opening up again I want to start giving it a go. Any good workout routines I could follow or just some good advice in general?

Reaction score
If you haven’t already, highly recommend checking out Arny’s plan which I believe is easily found in the training plans section. I’ve made up my own workout plan that suits me and my own situation but it’s mostly based on that with a few changes to focus on my own weak points, the biggest being 2 weight sessions a week consisting of:
3 sets, 8 reps of each
Bench press
Shoulder press
Deadlift
Bent over row
Barbell squat
Barbell lunges

hoping that this will build overall strength and give me a good foundation for carrying heavy loads when I start RT.

Mosquito

Reaction score
Note that all of this advice is just personal opinion/experiences and I'm in no way a qualified PT. What works for me or others may not work for you. This advice is what I was told when I could literally only bench press the 20kg bar, but to this day I still follow it and I've seen decent progress.

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/ - Plan I used, very solid way to build strength and incredibly simple. 5 sets of 5 reps at a heavy weight, 3 exercises a day, 3 times a week. Also has a nifty app that shows your exercises, what day to do them, and what weight to do them at.

http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2006/12/rippetoes-starting-strength.html - This is a modified version of "starting strength" which is an incredibly popular routine.

Completely up to you, look around and you'll find some good routines. If you want to build strength, you'll want to do small sets of low repetitions with just below/with your max weight. For example, if your max squat starting out is 60kg, you'll want to work around 50kg for your sets. Anything between the 3-5 rep range is best for strength. If you're able to bang out, say, 15+ reps on a weight, you won't be gaining as much strength because the weight is too light.

If you want to build more endurance, anything around 12+ rep range works well. This will be the opposite to strength; if you're grinding it out after the fourth rep, you're going too heavy and might injure yourself if you keep pushing. If you're interested in it, 8-12 rep range is for building muscle more than anything, but still can give you strength gains.

A good plan will consist of "compound movements". These are exercises that activate multiple muscle groups as you do them. It's why stronglifts and starting strength work so well. They incorporate only these. A dumbbell curl only activates your bicep, so it's called an "isolation exercise". Unless you're looking to only strengthen your bicep, it's useless otherwise. On the other hand, a bench press with a barbell activates your shoulders, triceps and chest muscles. You get a lot more bang for your buck and work three muscles in just one exercise.

What's also good about these low rep, big movements is that it is easy to track and see progress on. When you're only comparing yourself to, let's say, 6 exercises in total for your training period, it's very easy to see where you started and how far you've come. You'll want to keep slowly adding weight so your body keeps having to test itself (similar to adding more press ups or sit ups to a bodyweight routine). For example, if you're squatting 80kg one week, add another 2.5kg for the next week and the week after.

A good read is Liam Rosen's Beginners Health and Fitness Guide. Whilst you may not be a beginner to exercise, the "Exercises" section gives an incredibly easy understanding of what plan to follow and what to do in the gym. Highly worth a read if you've got the time.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Always done my workouts at home and never really done much weight training before. With the gyms opening up again I want to start giving it a go. Any good workout routines I could follow or just some good advice in general?
If you have never done any weight lifting before the most important thing would be to learn how to do it correctly. It’s not something you just turn up and do. If your car breaks and you are not a mechanic you take it to a mechanic. If you need a fancy haircut you go to a barber. So if you actually want to learn how to lift safely and correctly here are a couple of options:

I would start by learning kettlebells.

If you are lucky there is a StrongFirst instructor in your area. Alternatively look for a weightlifting or powerlifting club. Or look for a CrossFit gym that has a Foundation class where you are actually taught how to lift and don’t just turn up and get thrashed.

I see far too many people doing inefficient movements in the gym with bad technique that’s just going to injure them in the long run. Once the basics are sorted you can worry about what programme to do. As a beginner you are in a lucky spot as no matter what programme you follow you will see instant improvements over a short period of time. As time goes it will be less and less in the same time period and you will need to have a better understanding of training, physiology, nutrition and most importantly recovery. When you are not training that’s when the magic happens.