Had serious car accident yesterday; will it affect application?

The Creature of the Night

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all.

Yesterday, I had a very serious car accident. But was taken to hospital and was just treated for a bleeding nose and nothing else. Car was written off but I emerged unscathed. The done all tests and there was nothing wrong.

Do I have to inform my AFCO about it?

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi all.

Yesterday, I had a very serious car accident. But was taken to hospital and was just treated for a bleeding nose and nothing else. Car was written off but I emerged unscathed. The done all tests and there was nothing wrong.

Do I have to inform my AFCO about it?

Glad to hear you’re ok. If you are medically fit, then there’s no requirement. I would imagine.

Take it easy for a few days, don’t rush back to training hard. Let yourself recover physically and mentally.

Having been in and seen more than my fair share of RTCs, they can be quite traumatic, feel free to message me at anytime if you need to talk to anyone.

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Good to hear all's OK.

If there are subsequent insurance claims after this incident for injuries such as whiplash etc., they will almost certainly affect medical suitability for service in the short term.

Likewise any police involvement or possible court appearances, even if only a prosecution witness, can affect entry dates.

The Creature of the Night

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, both:

And re: claims for compensation, have already have "ambulance chases" after me for claims, but I've told them all no yet, they are persistent little so and so's. They see mto know more about my accident (and the so-called "serious injuries" I sustained) than I do! Madness.

I understand car accidents have a nasty habit of causing injuries later on, however? Now it's been a week, and I've been doing fitness, I feel 100% with no aches or pains; so pleased to report I just had soft tissue damage on my elbow (no fracture) and a bloody nose.

It seems there have been a lot of obstacles throw at me delaying my application; but, alas? I shall plod on and will, eventually, get that green lid!

Best wishes:
The Creature Of The Night

Chelonian

Reaction score
And re: claims for compensation, have already have "ambulance chases" after me for claims, but I've told them all no yet, they are persistent little so and so's.

Some insight into Personal Injury 'claims farming':

Whoever passed your details to a PI claims manager will earn about £450 for that telephone call if you proceed with a succesful claim.

A claimant will usually be assessed by a medical professional who will be employed by the firm managing your claim. At assessment, claimants are often encouraged to maximise the extent of symptoms directly attributed to the incident. The reality is that if one declares that one now has limited mobility and is, say, unable to play golf it will be reflected in the financial settlement. But it will also be formally recorded in medical records and impossible to erase. To all intents and purposes it might subsequently be interpreted as being a formal self-declaration that one has limited physical mobility.

As referenced above by Ninja, be aware of unforeseen consequences. Best of luck.

New Threads