Hair

Forest_Gump

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question to those whom have done basic training, or even are in progress... is it advisable to shave ones head before beginning basic training? Am I right in believing that there's numerous showers per day? Surely having some length means time wasted drying it (and if you cant, this results in chills etc...), so if I'm bald, it's a quick rub with the towel and then get dressed.

Has anyone decided to go for the shaved head?

Cheers.

P.S. I couldn't care less about my hair, just thinking about preventing getting cold drafts and stiff necks.

robbo09

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question to those whom have done basic training, or even are in progress... is it advisable to shave ones head before beginning basic training? Am I right in believing that there's numerous showers per day? Surely having some length means time wasted drying it (and if you cant, this results in chills etc...), so if I'm bald, it's a quick rub with the towel and then get dressed.

Has anyone decided to go for the shaved head?

Cheers.

P.S. I couldn't care less about my hair, just thinking about preventing getting cold drafts and stiff necks.

Entirely up to you. You’ll be getting a number 2 all over at the minimum anyway. Would save you a few quid if you keep it shaved though. Whilst in RT a few lads chipped in for one of those Babyliss crew cut shavers.
Personally I like a little on top as I look like something from Men in Black otherwise.

Chelonian

Reaction score

You'll almost always be covered (wearing a beret or other headwear) when outside, either in camp or in the field, so don't worry about it.

Someone else will have to tell you the current policy at CTCRM but my experience from RT elsewhere forty years ago:

No matter how short your hair on arrival you will almost certainly sit in the barber's shop with everyone else on Day One and pay for a trim, whether you need it or not.

You will receive a regulation, service haircut. Anyone rocking up with, say, a zero buzz cut might be ordered to grow their hair. After one's initial service haircut it's an individual personal admin responsibility to conform with hair regulations. Attempts to express individuality by pushing hair style boundaries are almost always actively discouraged. :) Hope this helps.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What is the hair cut regulations after your initial trim.

Short back and sides or a buzz cut for the full 32 weeks

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I can’t beleive this is an actual thread....

Turn up and get your haircut. And repeat process until Passout.
I am sure your training team will be able to gently remind you when your hair may need a trim.

Military regulations state that you need a minimum length of hair. So don’t go turning up with a skinhead.

Forest_Gump

Reaction score
I can’t beleive this is an actual thread....

Turn up and get your haircut. And repeat process until Passout.
I am sure your training team will be able to gently remind you when your hair may need a trim.

Military regulations state that you need a minimum length of hair. So don’t go turning up with a skinhead.
Alright dude chill out *text deleted*, I was only asking because I'm balding anyway, I just didn't know the procedure. That's all...

Chelonian

Reaction score
As an aside, while sat on a train at Exeter St David's railway station last year I noticed a bunch of smartly dressed lads standing on Platform 1, presumably en route to their PRMC. One had a hair style which was an exact replica of that favoured by Kim Jon-un. :)

corvus

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Alright dude chill out *text deleted*, I was only asking because I'm balding anyway, I just didn't know the procedure. That's all...
If you are genuinely balding you are allowed to have it all off, otherwise it's a no2 back and sides with a tapered not a squared off neck.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Entirely up to you. You’ll be getting a number 2 all over at the minimum anyway. Would save you a few quid if you keep it shaved though. Whilst in RT a few lads chipped in for one of those Babyliss crew cut shavers.
Personally I like a little on top as I look like something from Men in Black otherwise.

You're going to have to explain how a haircut makes you look like these guys?!

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

Just means you have High Testosterone....

If you are going bald its usually acceptable to have a close cut. Just means more of your head to cam out...

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score

Just means you have High Testosterone....

If you are going bald its usually acceptable to have a close cut. Just means more of your head to cam out...

I'm going to throw it out there and suggest you might be thinning a bit yourself? :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Facial Hair (POC/AIB) POC Section 9
MotherBear Hair cut General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 39
R Hair dying General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 18