Haircut expectations

highland_blue89

Reaction score
Perhaps a strange question gents,

Sitting looking at the clippers wondering if I should have a go. What is the guidance on what the Barnet should be? I would rather wait until the barbers open but don't want to arrive at the ROP with an overgrown mess, or would it not be a problem?

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
Probably best to ask the unit on what their expectations are. The guidance pre-covid was that the back shouldn’t touch the collar and that back and sides should be neat. Generally it was said the top is hidden by the beret so that’s free reign - though never tested it with a SM.

its not the USMC - so they don’t expect shaven heads. They also accept you have a job and looking like a convict doesn’t always go down well with an employer

highland_blue89

Reaction score
Cheers mate,

Will hopefully get it sorted by one of my mates many hairdressing birds this week.

highland_blue89

Reaction score
Unfortunately last night I acted on this very question and discovered my hair cutting skills were less than satisfactory so I broke out the clippers. My girlfriend won't speak to me which sums up how it went

I've done my own this lockdown already, although I think I got lucky and caught myself on a patient day. I can't see me being successful again.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps a strange question gents,

Sitting looking at the clippers wondering if I should have a go. What is the guidance on what the Barnet should be? I would rather wait until the barbers open but don't want to arrive at the ROP with an overgrown mess, or would it not be a problem?
i would just shave it off, u get cut off anyway

Last edited:

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@highland_blue89 You get a haircut when there !!- no need to go full slap head prior to entry as you get one regardless and pay for it.!.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
It is open during lockdown - and new regular recruits do not need a haircut prior to entry.! - The initial post made no reference to reserves just do they need a haircut or does he need to cut it before he goes down - the answer is the same...No he does not!

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
It is open during lockdown - and new regular recruits do not need a haircut prior to entry.! - The initial post made no reference to reserves just do they need a haircut or does he need to cut it before he goes down - the answer is the same...No he does not!
I was just going by the sub forum it was posted in

highland_blue89

Reaction score
An update since i started the ROP gents: there isnt much expectations haircut wise. A couple of lads got told to tidy up, but other than that they realise the current situation.

If you can handle getting the whole head shaved, just do it. It will show respect and initiative.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you can handle getting the whole head shaved, just do it. It will show respect and initiative.
Must admit I've not considered a Grade 2 haircut respectful until now.

In my youth skinheads tended to be uncouth ruffians & rapscallions.

highland_blue89

Reaction score
Must admit I've not considered a Grade 2 haircut respectful until now.

In my youth skinheads tended to be uncouth ruffians & rapscallions.

Fair point and I tend to agree!

But given the current situation our CSgt wanted to see some sort of effort, but realises we ain't exactly barbers.

My heads shaved and I despise it!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Fair point and I tend to agree!

But given the current situation our CSgt wanted to see some sort of effort, but realises we ain't exactly barbers.

My heads shaved and I despise it!
Yep, I've been cutting my own for several years. If you met me, you would know instantly.