Half of all British servicemen say they want to quit - Times Online

News

RSS Feed
Reaction score

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
bl*text deleted*dy hell it's a bit of a worry that:
"In the Army, 59 per cent of those questioned rated the level of morale as “low” or “very low”. In the Royal Navy it was 64 per cent, and the Royal Marines 38 per cent"

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
nope but if a man who worked so hard to get where he is will then say morale is low or very low, there's got to be something seriously wrong. 38% of them as well, that's a large minority- labour came into power with a lower vote

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
<3 labour!

Throws us in two conflicts, doesnt immidiatly increase spending on troops.

Whilst prior to that the MoD complaining about equipment, housing, pay... And what have we learnt years on? Nothing has changed.

Luckily there are people like us, however in limited amounts, that will still do service for this country.

Oh well, maybe one day things will change

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Depends how the question is asked guys, if they simply asked "Have you considered leaving the forces in the last 3 years?" and around 38% said yes, then quite frankly I'm astonished it's that low.

You go into any factory or call centre and ask the same question, infact ask most premiership footballers if they considered changing teams and the answer will be the same if not higher.

Everybody gets pissed off by their job, and would consider leaving no matter what industry they are in.

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Its because of the government they been ignoring the armed frorces they send them into battle and thats it. you never hear them saying there gona give MoD more money for equipment and pay i saw a article of how much money the british armed forces get paid per soldier for equipment and its stupid compared to other country which ar very poor compared to us but i sopose thats it we are exspendable

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yes but thats different changing teams isnt leaving the profession all together its just moving to a new club not leaving the armed forces 4 good

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Asked whether they regularly considered leaving, 47 per cent of soldiers and officers in the Army said that they did. The same percentage of Royal Navy personnel agreed, along with 37 per cent in the Royal Marines and 44 per cent in the RAF.
i was actually referring to morale rather than people quitting it's 37% RM that want to quit or think of doing so regularly.
In the Army, 59 per cent of those questioned rated the level of morale as “low” or “very low”. In the Royal Navy it was 64 per cent and the Royal Marines 38 per cent. The worst perception of morale was in the RAF, where 72 per cent of those asked thought that morale was low.
the thing i don't get is why perceived morale should be so much lower in the RAF? must be all those dirty Chinooks getting them down

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
yes but thats different changing teams isnt leaving the profession all together its just moving to a new club not leaving the armed forces 4 good
My comments about changing teams were a reference to the issue of a lot leaving for private security work in Afghan and Iraq.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
As I understand it, a large majority of uniformed personnel in the RAF and Navy never have to even leave Britain. Maybe they're feeling guilty about all the cushy perks while the Army and Marines are in the fight?

I remember once talking to someone who'd been in stores for the RAF. Payed better than a squaddie, and he'd helped himself to all the best kit - 10 sets of uniform, loads of pairs of the best boots, best webbing etc - for an RAF storesman!

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't help that alot of people back home don't recognise the work they do or respect, or even worse can't see WHY we have an armed forces (but at the same time saying we should be helping people in other countries..).

Example: Last night in pub having convo with some people, guy said to reduce armed forces spending by 90% (oddly enough he's a green party voter aka complete *text deleted**text deleted*ing retard). And then said that civilian organisations should be used to free the people from oppression and give them better lives. So wheres that *text deleted**text deleted*ing money coming from? Safe to say his arguement died quickly after that, the *text deleted*er :thefinger:

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Doesn't help that alot of people back home don't recognise the work they do or respect, or even worse can't see WHY we have an armed forces (but at the same time saying we should be helping people in other countries..).

Example: Last night in pub having convo with some people, guy said to reduce armed forces spending by 90% (oddly enough he's a green party voter aka complete *text deleted**text deleted*ing retard). And then said that civilian organisations should be used to free the people from oppression and give them better lives. So wheres that *text deleted**text deleted*ing money coming from? Safe to say his arguement died quickly after that, the *text deleted*er :thefinger:
And you can't send humanitarian workers into somewhere without military aid,
look what happened when US Marines pulled out of Mogadishu,
the warlords started attacking the aid workers and UN personnel,
so they had to send troops back in.

Joe

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Everybody gets pissed off by their job, and would consider leaving no matter what industry they are in.
Well said! Also if you had spent the last 3 months coming under constant attack by the enemy while your mates back home tell you stories about how they've all been banging your ex bird, would you be particularly motivated? :wink:

As for lack of funding to the M.O.D, I'm not buying it completely... Sorry to be controversial.
It's been said in another thread that the M.O.D is given a large chunk of cash that is split amongst the forces. From what I can see the troubles not in the funding, it's in the management of those funds.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It's been said in another thread that the M.O.D is given a large chunk of cash that is split amongst the forces. From what I can see the troubles not in the funding, it's in the management of those funds.
Definitely, but that has been a problem for a long time. It's what you get for having over educated f*cktards running the country due to privilege and not ability, look at NHS, local councils, schools etc. more and more money gets poured into them and they get worse- clearly it's not a lack of money then, so what do they do? pour more money into the sink hole then start talking about privatising. It's our health care now, then education then...armed forces? :mad:
(note to self; must stop ranting)

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Completely agree with you Seedy.

The NHS. Why is it new graduates expect to be walking into jobs paying 30k plus!? Yes, I understand they train for several years but so do architects and everyone else that does a skilled job.
I was *text deleted**text deleted*ing livid when all those doctors and nurses marched about being under payed... Tell you what, you stop MRSA spreading in our clinics, open GP surgeries at a time when I don't have to miss work to visit and I'm sure the public will support you.

The Fire brigade is another example... What the hell do they have to worry about!? They earn 25k plus, their working hours are sweet and they have so much free time that theoretically they could hold down a second job. The number of people who want to work in the fire brigade, if their not happy with their jobs leave, let someone else apply!

And don't even get me started on the police!

Britain is becoming a nation of chavs... Everyone wants more money, but no one wants to do the work. Sometimes I can't believe people have the nerve to say "Bloody immigrants, stealing our jobs"!

That's me ranting. :smile:

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
As for lack of funding to the M.O.D, I'm not buying it completely... Sorry to be controversial.
Could be argue'd that way. BUT:
ALL of our armed forces need upgrading, and right now there isn't the money being put in. One budget being split between the three forces, which then again gets splits into the forces under their control.

Getting two aircraft carriers but not enough destroyers to actually defend them properly.
At the same time getting new ships with gimped firepower compared to equivelant american vessels.
Still having harriers on the new aircraft carriers as we have nothing else to park on them until the JSF.
The general size of the navy is becoming a joke and it's going to be a coast guard with aircraft carriers the way things are going.

Riding around in land lovers.. still. Oh yes lovely over the desert but.. ye when that ak round comes through your vehicle and just misses your nads im sure you'd say something different.

Complete lack of armour and other heavy vehicles. This includes IFV, MRAP type vehicles and even battle tanks.

Lack of helicopters and heavy lift transporters (our hercules will be going out of service due to stress damages before the next generation of transports come in.. meaning plane rentals again).

Airforce with half the planes being ancient and needing complete refits. Love the eurofighter but it was designed in the 80s and for dogfighting not ground support. We should have designed our own plane without those buggers over the channel or just bought american F planes.

Housing for the forces is bollocks in some areas (some are quite nice though) but the government has invested 8,4 billion over the next few years to try and improve that.

General pay in the armed forces, no matter what anyone says - once you start growing older, buying a house, getting married and kids etc just does not cut the cake. It falls behind equivelant jobs in civvie street and does cause real problems.

Spending on the armed forces has actually fallen as a percentage of GDP, this is whilst two conflicts and various peacekeeping missions are being run simultaniously. Yes in cash terms the budget has increased - but by too little.
A small increase in spending by GDP would allow for some of the vital upgrades to be performed, as well as be able to say give pay rises or incentives (american forces pay for college, and other such things) which bring far more people into the forces.

Improving the public perception of the armed forces and national pride of people in this country would also go a long way in improving the situation, as politicians are out for themselves and the vote - if defence is low on peoples agenda then it won't get the attention it needs.

Yet at the same time the NHS still offers many services that are frankly debateable as to wether they should be free for the public on the service, and makes more management levels to fix a problem than communist russia killed people during its time..

Just my 2cent rant.

Oh I forgot to add something :doh:

We obviously don't need a completely updated and larger armed forces as we're never going to have a big threat these days! To take a line off a green party voter hippy I spoke to last night.
Thats what they thought in the 1930's as well, also with a lack of funding to the armed forces in that time, yay!