Hand tattoos

george2002

Reaction score
I know you are allowed to have them now but are hand tattoos frowned upon?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Most tattoos tend to come under critical scrutiny by your colleagues in most jobs and indeed your friends.

The good news about the armed forces in general is if a tattoo is considered crap, you'll be made aware of the general consensus in that respect.

Whilst serving there's a massive range of cracking artwork you'll see. Some costing a great deal of money, some being cheap & cheerful, some as consequence of losing a game of spoof (Henry Hoover being one of the impressive ones seen recently).

My tip? Be aware tattoos affirming military aspirations are a big, big mistake. Tattoos confirming military affiliations, nationality, religion etc., can inadvertantly limit deployment on covert tasking opportunities on operations of a diplomatically sensitive nature (read into that what you will).

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The corps is filled with tattoos, so long as you can’t see it in a passport photo you’re fine. Echoing the message above don’t go getting military style tattoos before you’re even in. A video circled recently of a foundation nod who went out after his prmc and got his service number tattooed on the back of his neck. Safe to say that didn’t go down well.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
The corps is filled with tattoos, so long as you can’t see it in a passport photo you’re fine. Echoing the message above don’t go getting military style tattoos before you’re even in. A video circled recently of a foundation nod who went out after his prmc and got his service number tattooed on the back of his neck. Safe to say that didn’t go down well.
Yep seen. What a toilet!

Besides service number tatts are so skin crawlingly chad. Why cant lads be happy with a sh*thead tatt!

epicurean

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say they’re frowned upon but like ninja said they can potentially limit your chances of getting certain SQ’s and keep in mind you might that you’ll end up on civvy street one day and even though it’s 2020 and ‘equality’ is the word of the century, most employers will be highly prejudice if you have them...ring pieces

Also, there’s a lad a few troops behind me that had his service number tattooed somewhere very overt from what I’ve heard and I’ve no doubt he’s been given plenty of ’remedial training‘ for that...so yeah I definitely wouldn’t do that :D

Chelonian

Reaction score
On the topic of military-themed tattoos consider the risk twenty years hence when one might want to travel in, say, South America, Africa, or several other 'interesting' countries.

Tattoos have been cited as being incriminating evidence of espionage activities by foreign security services despite an individual's stated intention of only wanting to sit on a beach while sipping a cocktail.