Hand washing

Gimix

Reaction score
Hi all just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a decent video to learn the basics of hand washing clothes before heading down for my ROP.
Cheers

Chelonian

Reaction score
...just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a decent video to learn the basics of hand washing clothes before heading down for my ROP.
Uncertain if a video exists but here are my suggestions:

1. Marigold gloves. Wear them. They will protect hands from very hot water and liquid soap. Hands take a real battering in RT. Also take some Neutrogena hand moisturiser. Pampering hands is essential, not luxury.

2. Liquid soap is superior to powder. Powder can leave a residue on clothing.

3. Clean excessive dirt (mud, etc.) from clothing outside. A fire hose might be available for this purpose.

4. Rinse clothing thoroughly in hot water in tub or basin. This is a pre-wash. Drain water.

5. Refill tub with hot water, adding appropriate measure of liquid soap so that it is well mixed.

6. Knead and scrub clothing, paying attention to armpits, croctch, etc. 'Spot' clean any parts of clothing which might be very stained.

7. Drain soapy water and refill tub with hot, clean water. Rinse repeatedly until all soap residue is removed from clothing.

8. Hang clothing to dry in the drying room.

Here endeth the dhobi tutorial.

Hopefully others will chip in with their own suggestions, hints and tips.

J9R4W

Reaction score
Do recruits hand wash their clothes throughout RT?

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Do recruits hand wash their clothes throughout RT?

I wasn't allowed to use washers/dryers til week 7. Although I'd opt to hand-wash most of the time anyway to save money and the admin of waiting for a dryer etc. Unless of course just came out the field or you've got a big load from bottom field etc. Often you'll just throw a grot dhobi bag in and take it in turns.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Doing dhobi sentry is great fun. Falling asleep in a freezing cold metal chair while some other nod tries to sneak a load past you

johno4

Reaction score
I wasn't allowed to use washers/dryers til week 7. Although I'd opt to hand-wash most of the time anyway to save money and the admin of waiting for a dryer etc. Unless of course just came out the field or you've got a big load from bottom field etc. Often you'll just throw a grot dhobi bag in and take it in turns.
What is a "grot" " dhobi" bag if you dont mind me asking ?

Still trying to learn all of the RM terminology

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I am planning on washing the least dirty pieces first so the water needs changing less frequently which saves time and equally better for the environment. That's how I used to do it when I was living without a washing machine. How likely is that all the basins are used at the same time? I have some collapsible plastic laundry baskets I used to use so I could pre-soak the dirtiest bits in them before washing and rinsing them last in the basin. Would that be allowed or that's again something that would be considered gucci/not allowed by your TT? Many thanks

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
I am planning on washing the least dirty pieces first so the water needs changing less frequently which saves time and equally better for the environment. That's how I used to do it when I was living without a washing machine. How likely is that all the basins are used at the same time? I have some collapsible plastic laundry baskets I used to use so I could pre-soak the dirtiest bits in them before washing and rinsing them last in the basin. Would that be allowed or that's again something that would be considered gucci/not allowed by your TT? Many thanks

I think there are like 2/3 sinks in the grots per floor. You could have 24 blokes on a floor. In foundation there were about 5 sinks and 50 odd blokes. Its the small things people underestimate.

Chelonian

Reaction score
What to do? Limited sinks and, say, twenty-four blokes to share...

Dhobi in RT is not rocket engineering, the Japanese tea ceremony, nor is it a three-dimensional equation. A reference there for @Parhelia because I was trying to think of a third, complex task. :)

Consider organising the other Recruits. One on a basin doing everyone's pre-rinse; another on the second basin doing the liquid wash; the third on the other basin doing the rinsing. Three Recruits doing the washing in a diligent manner. Another couple folding or arranging stuff in the drying room.

Meanwhile... three Recruits doing ironing: shirts, tops, trousers. Plus anything else what requires ironing.

Others folding; others focusing on boots. Everyone else cleans the grots.

Division of labour; it makes sense.
The above isn't meant to be prescriptive. Only food for thought.

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The way i got around the fact there arnt many sinks is normally you do phys or bottom field in the morning. well at lunch i would eat quickly go back to my room and hand wash my kit from the morning ad put it in the drying room. Then at the end of the day it was dry and all i had to do was iron it and put it away while most lads were faffing around trying to get it washed, wait for it to dry and then ironing it.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What can also help is wrapping your clothes in a really good quality high absorbing towel while ringing (I use Lifeventure HydroFibre towels, they aren’t cheap but really awesome). The towel this way sucks up more water and your clothes will dry quicker. As I mentioned in a boot cleaning topic you can stuff these towels into your boots as well instead of newspaper/kitchen paper towels for a couple of hours before letting it fully dry out. That’s what I have been doing and it seems to work for me.

Broadsword55

Reaction score
Hi all just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a decent video to learn the basics of hand washing clothes before heading down for my ROP.
Cheers
there is a video if you watch the officer training series for the royal marines made in the 80s I believe on youtube, it covers the technique fully:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
old-lynx-mech hand washing kit? Recruit Training (RT) Chat 12
G Hand tattoos General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 5
Harry McRunFast Hand To Hand Recruit Training (RT) Chat 65