Has anyone restarted their application? Or failed 3rd attempt at PJFT?

borneboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, wondering if anyone has ever failed their 3rd attempt at the PJFT or chose to stop their application after failing their second? I failed my second attempt last year and have come to the conclusion that I am not mentally ready or mature enough yet. I hope to re-try the joining process in about 2/3 years time and was wondering if anyone else has done this? If so did you find any issues at the interview and medical for example the CO not thinking your motivated enough?

Thanks alot guys.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I hope to re-try the joining process in about 2/3 years time and was wondering if anyone else has done this? If so did you find any issues at the interview and medical for example the CO not thinking your motivated enough?

Communication is often the key to many problems.
Perhaps consider dropping a brief letter to your CA out of courtesy giving a brief outline of your circumstances and your plans to take another look in a few years time. Keep a copy of your letter and if your CA has moved on when you reapply it might be evidence of your taking a mature, structured approach to your application. Best of luck.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
10/10 for the advice from @Chelonian. It can sometimes be hard to prove maturity, a well structured letter and any return correspondence will be some way to proving that.

In the mean time, get fitter!

LRL

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Embarrassing I am one of them. 2 Years down the line I’m looking back and just thinking to myself how naive and stubborn I was, I applied before I started training ultimately lead me too training too much too soon, picked up the shin splits but kept cracking on, idiotically. First attempt I was simply unfit. 2nd I reached 8min in return and my legs were in bits, I was in too much physical pain. 3rd attempt I think was down too the same issue along with my self belief going down the drain as I remember telling myself this isn’t for me right now, I’m not ready.

I wish I’d have paused my app but I didn’t so that’s what I deserve. Don’t make the same mistake. If your not ready pause it. In hindsight I’m glad it happened to me because I’m a much better person for it, afterwards I took a step back invested into some proper running shoes and I’ve not felt shin splits since. My mental attitude,confidence and physicality is so much better than before. I’m now looking forwards too reapplying if my request is accepted in December. This time I’m passing everything first time.

So yes taking a step back and pausing your app could be for the best, at the end of the day it’s a choice you’d have to live with either way.