Have I made a mistake?

Olly_PT

Reaction score
Ok so bare with me,
I was due to do my second attempt at PRMC (erm very recently -banghead-). But I started getting very real with myself. I’m 30yrs old knocking on 31 soon and I feel it sometimes, I’m exhausted and not enjoying the phys as much as I used to, also if I go on and pass this PRMC, can I genuinely do the 32 weeks RT? If I don’t I’ll drop out without a job and cost the MOD a lot more money than the train tickets they’ve paid for. Etc etc...

So I rang up my AFCO, explained this and withdrew my application. The advisor on the phone quite rightly chewed my backside out about the money for the train tickets but agreed it’d be a lot more if I dropped in recruit training, and was sympathetic towards my reasons. He also explained to me that if I re-applied within the next year that this would be taken into account, which I totally agree with and expected would be the case.

Fast forward 48-72 hours later, and I’m rested, caught up on sleep, had 3 days off phys and feel a lot better mentally and physically to a point where I think I may have over trained leading up to my PRMC, mental dread set in and I pulled the pin at the last moment (I’m a nobber I know). I’ve told myself “that’s it, it’s done now move on”, and attempted to research different avenues to venture off down but I’m still engaged, enthusiastic and passionate about the RM.

Have I made a mistake?

Is it too late now? Or can I admit I’m a bit of a “James Blunt”, pulled the pin too early when I was in a wrong head space and salvage something even if I was to reimburse the train tickets and pay for my own?

Any advice, and telling me I’m a silly sausage is welcome.

blindman3004

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I reckon so pal. I am potentially looking at re-joining and I regret banging my chit just because of a bit of cold. Your doubting yourself! Doubt is a absolute killer of dreams. You've been preparing to do this for so long, you might as well give it a go instead of not even trying. In regards to enjoying Phys *text deleted* I don't think anyone in my troop ever enjoyed phys! Its meant to be tough! Your never going to be 100% in training, your always going to be sleep deprived, banged up , cold and wet its the mentality of keeping going. I guarantee after you have reached the age limit and look back you will regret not giving it a try. There's been lads before who have passed out in their 30s before. Get back on the phone to your AFCO and say you had a moment. What happened to your previous PRMC attempt?

SixteenSixtyFour

Reaction score
With regard to whether or not it was a mistake, that's completely up to you. Nobody can tell you that you did the right thing or the wrong, because when all's said and done, it's only a mistake if it's not the correct move for yourself. That being said, I don't think you would be making this post if you were one hundred percent happy with your decision...

Bottom line: If you try, one year from now you are either a bootneck, or someone who gave it a shot. If you don't try, you might just regret it when you're past the age cut-off.

All the best mate, whatever you decide to do.

Olly_PT

Reaction score
What happened to your previous PRMC attempt?

Cheers for the reply
I came off bottom field on my first PRMC on the second round of bunny hops we had (which sounds hilarious when I think of it now). Think 8 of us dropped out on bottom field on that occasion and I was the last. It must’ve ended 10 minutes later judging by how soon after we got back to the accom the rest of the lads showed up. Two members of the PRMC staff stood over me on the field and “levelled with me”, said I’m obviously too stubborn to know when to quit. Gave me three options, either continue and run the risk of injury and see myself off forever, or continue, somehow get to Friday and we’ll fail you anyway because you’re too far behind the others or it’ll be unsafe to take you on the EC, or withdraw now, go away for 3 months, train bunny hops and come back and smash it. I took the latter option.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Everyone has doubts, even those nearing week 26 and those in Kings Squad.

If you are pulling the plug on stuff now, then you are probably going to do the same in training each time you have a confidence wobble when the chips are down.

Whilst self-effacing humility is a good thing, wrapping repeatedly before completing the joining process, as you already know is highly likely to happen again after joining.

You've probably made the right call, much as it stings like a wet tea-towel cracked across your starboard arrse cheek (as my dear old Nan used to say).

Best o'luck wherever life takes you.

OR... Get a grip as @Old Man seems to say a fair bit.

Olly_PT

Reaction score
Everyone has doubts, even those nearing week 26 and those in Kings Squad.

If you are pulling the plug on stuff now, then you are probably going to do the same in training each time you have a confidence wobble when the chips are down.

Whilst self-effacing humility is a good thing, wrapping repeatedly before completing the joining process, as you already know is highly to happen again after joining.

You've probably made the right call, much as it stings like a wet tea-towel cracked across your starboard arrse cheek (as my dear old Nan used to say).

Best o'luck wherever life takes you.

OR... Get a grip as @Old Man seems to say a fair bit.

Yeah I totally understand and majoritively agree. Thanks for the honest answer @Ninja_Stoker .
I’ll still probably make a carthartic phone call to my AFCO tomorrow though and see how the land lies after my haste.

Chelonian

Reaction score
The advisor on the phone quite rightly chewed my backside out about the money for the train tickets...

Forget the cost of train tickets; the potential risk is associated with judgment, resilience and committment.

Having had a 'wobble' and withdrawn your application, what assurance can you give your Careers Adviser that the same won't happen again for similar reasons?

It's perhaps fair to say—considering all circumstances—that you are well and truly standing at the bar of the Last Chance Saloon.
But best of luck and let us know how you get on.

blindman3004

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for the reply
I came off bottom field on my first PRMC on the second round of bunny hops we had (which sounds hilarious when I think of it now). Think 8 of us dropped out on bottom field on that occasion and I was the last. It must’ve ended 10 minutes later judging by how soon after we got back to the accom the rest of the lads showed up. Two members of the PRMC staff stood over me on the field and “levelled with me”, said I’m obviously too stubborn to know when to quit. Gave me three options, either continue and run the risk of injury and see myself off forever, or continue, somehow get to Friday and we’ll fail you anyway because you’re too far behind the others or it’ll be unsafe to take you on the EC, or withdraw now, go away for 3 months, train bunny hops and come back and smash it. I took the latter option.

:D haha that sounds familiar! They kept saying to me just quit, we don't want you here. I came pretty much last on all the pays to be winner stuff and was given extra phys as punishment, they said they were going to pull me off and might as well just give in, you just got to keep going and ignore it mate, I said to myself I am going to keep going till they physically pull me off! Just before we finished bottom field they said this was just the warm-up and the actual bottom field is going to start (well something along those lines memories are hazy due to it being nearly 3 years ago!)..someone wrapped, couple of minutes later we were told to grab our water bottles as we had finished! Play the game!

Jaykay2343

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Ok so bare with me,
I was due to do my second attempt at PRMC (erm very recently -banghead-). But I started getting very real with myself. I’m 30yrs old knocking on 31 soon and I feel it sometimes, I’m exhausted and not enjoying the phys as much as I used to, also if I go on and pass this PRMC, can I genuinely do the 32 weeks RT? If I don’t I’ll drop out without a job and cost the MOD a lot more money than the train tickets they’ve paid for. Etc etc...

So I rang up my AFCO, explained this and withdrew my application. The advisor on the phone quite rightly chewed my backside out about the money for the train tickets but agreed it’d be a lot more if I dropped in recruit training, and was sympathetic towards my reasons. He also explained to me that if I re-applied within the next year that this would be taken into account, which I totally agree with and expected would be the case.

Fast forward 48-72 hours later, and I’m rested, caught up on sleep, had 3 days off phys and feel a lot better mentally and physically to a point where I think I may have over trained leading up to my PRMC, mental dread set in and I pulled the pin at the last moment (I’m a nobber I know). I’ve told myself “that’s it, it’s done now move on”, and attempted to research different avenues to venture off down but I’m still engaged, enthusiastic and passionate about the RM.

Have I made a mistake?

Is it too late now? Or can I admit I’m a bit of a “James Blunt”, pulled the pin too early when I was in a wrong head space and salvage something even if I was to reimburse the train tickets and pay for my own?

I understand what you are saying. What I am about to say, don't take personally.

You have wrapped as you are exhausted and not enjoying the phys. I presume you are getting plenty of sleep, good scran and supplements and can enjoy home comforts such as your own bed, sticking on a good film and putting your feet up, cracking open a tinny etc

At lympstone you will do harder phys for longer, with lack of sleep, crap quality of scran and instead of chilling on an evening you will be up all night and very early in the morning cracking admin. Thats without all the extra phys you will get as punishments.

Sorry to say but if you are struggling now you will struggle immensely in RT.

By week 28 I wasn't thinking "ahhh sweet I only have 4 weeks left to do"
I was thinking "4 weeks left! Oh my God how am I going to survive!"

Good effort for trying and giving it a go but sometimes you have to be honest with yourself.

CHUB!

Careers Adviser
Reaction score
Ok so bare with me,

Have I made a mistake?

You have been honest and that is all we can ask for. This is your fututre and it is important you do it right. Yes we get grumpy sometimes. Every candidate should be treated like you were our own family and that means praise and the disappointed speech every now and again. As my old boss used to say if there is any doubt there is no doubt. This is important so when you are ready pop in for a face to face. We are human after all..........
One of my lads passed PRMC this week with a B pass and he is 33 in 9 months. :)

Imperator13

Reaction score
Might as well go for it mate, you’ve got this far. Why stop at essientially the last hurdle before RT?

Don’t live with “what if”. What harm will attempting the PRMC do? None at all. If you pass you continue into RT, if you fail, you gave it everything you had which isn’t failing.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
One of the things the careers adviser has to ask themselves is whether the individual gives outward indicators of being a significantly higher than average training risk. All you need do is convince the careers adviser you are not a high risk ...and just hope your adviser is nearer to CHUB!s outlook than mine. :)

Truth is, in the current recruiting climate, the Corps is more apt to encourage recruiters to take risks but equally, you've got to try to stop doubting yourself as you'll otherwise have people feeling the same.

Outwardly expressing or demonstrating doubts and fears in training or combat can become contageous. It's therefore best left unsaid.

Two things to remember, if you really want to join the Royal Marines. Firstly: It really is a State of Mind. The second is there's: No cuff, too tough.

New Threads