Have I missed the deadlines? Is there any hope????

LAS920

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello guys, wonder if anybody can shed any light on my situation;

I am currently in my third year at uni, looking to join the marines as an officer on completion of my degree (june '08)

I requested my application form august '07, and after spending some time reading lots of literature trying to give myself a better insight into what is required of a military officer, in particular a marine officer. I have finally made my mind up 100%, and sent my forms of last week. I know this is a long delay but its a huge decision and needed to make sure I had made the right one. Now I know what I want, and thats to be a RMO.

Just heard from the OCLC in manchester today and they informed me that I have missed the christmas cut off for officer entry, and may have to wait until september '09 to progress. THis may not be such a bad thing as it will allow me to train even more to ensure success, however, I dont really want to wait a year. I am desperate to enlist!

Does anybody know of any instances of this happening before? and is there any way I can get on the september '08 elistment?

Cheers guys

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hiya Lee,

Unfortunately it's unlikely you could be processed in time to pass all stages of the selection process leading up to passing POC, AIB, and being successfully selected for the September 08 entry, hence the cut-off.

Generally the ACLO would have informed you when you need to submit the application forms to meet the entry date that year. As it is, your best bet is to stun your ACLO with your level of 100% physical preparedness, your awesome in-depth knowledge about the Corps, your extremely smart appearance, polished shoes, Winsor-knotted tie, your sharp haircut, chunky watch-which enables you to be 10 mins early for every stage of the selection process, faultless form-filling prowess & the depth to which you are prepared to sink in which to convince him/her that you are a not just a viable candidate, but a dead cert.

Even then, it may be touch & go if it's taken you 4 months to fill out a form!

Zefan

Reaction score
Blimey, I wasn't aware of the difference in dates for officer applications. Can anyone shed any light as to the details on this?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
From submitting an Officer Enquiry form to getting an initial interview with an Area Careers Liaison Officer (ACLO) can take up to 8 weeks.

If found eligible to apply as an Officer, you are then booked in to sit the Recruiting Test, this can take up to 4 weeks depending on how busy the AFCO is. Assuming you pass this test, the initial interview will have determined which areas need further work before being sent on POC. You need to pass a medical before POC. There is roughly one POC per month, if you fail it, there is no time left to adequately prepare for a re-take.

Your medical can take up to 4 weeks from passing the Recruiting test & if further detail or medical referrals are involved it can take several weeks to be passed fit. Ideally you need to have passed POC around March which then leaves 12 weeks to prepare for AIB before June in order to both pass & make selection for the annual entry in September.

Ideally you start the application process, ie : submit completed application forms around 9 to 12 months to comfortably pass all elements of selection in time to enter service the following year.

Zefan

Reaction score
Thank you for that, lots of information that I needed there! I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly so there are a few questions.

If you fail the POC then you cannot retake it? Is the same applicable for the AIB? What is the initial interview like? Is it the norm to wear a suit or would that be a bit over the top?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you fail POC or AIB the relevant selection team will advise how long you must wait before re-applying for that particular element. (It's usually 3,6,9,or 12 months wait). You cannot take AIB before passing POC.

The ACLO interview is merely to establish your eligibility, suitability and to identify what further preparation/timescale is required before undergoing POC & AIB.

A suit shirt & tie is entirely appropriate from when you attend interview onwards.

Zefan

Reaction score
If you fail POC or AIB the relevant selection team will advise how long you must wait before re-applying for that particular element. (It's usually 3,6,9,or 12 months wait). You cannot take AIB before passing POC.

The ACLO interview is merely to establish your eligibility, suitability and to identify what further preparation/timescale is required before undergoing POC & AIB.

A suit shirt & tie is entirely appropriate from when you attend interview onwards.
Thanks a lot boss :)

Charlie S

Reaction score
Is the officer intake only in september?? or is there one in june??

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The actually entry is September mate. You need to have completed all elements of selection by the end of June at the very latest.

Cool Hand Luke

Reaction score
Ninja Stoker; does there always seem to be a mad rush at this time of year for people wanting to make the YO batch?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
September 2009 RM Officer Entry

A timely reminder!

Those wishing to apply & join as a Royal Marines Officer in September 2009 must submit their completed application forms NOW or within the next 4 weeks or they may miss this opportunity for a further 12 months.

S

Sotiris

I've been on the 09 train for a while now. However, I passed the recruiting test on the 4th of this month, and still have not received a date for my interview. I've made a few phone calls trying to get a date from them but still nothing.

Is it worth just going down there in person?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It just depends how busy your ACLO is. Other Ranks are usually interviewed within two weeks of passing the recruiting test.

The best bet, if you are concerned by the delay, is to simply give the office a ring to find out the expected waiting times for Sift Interview.

Lloydy101

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So to get into a bach you pretty much have to start the application a year before the one you intend to get in. Am i right or wrong?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Those wishing to apply & join as a Royal Marines Officer in September 2009 must submit their completed application forms NOW or within the next 4 weeks or they may miss this opportunity for a further 12 months.
So to get into a bach you pretty much have to start the application a year before the one you intend to get in. Am i right or wrong?
Correct.

Watch this space between January & April 09 as the same question gets asked by those who thought otherwise.

Jervis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen the one man anserw machine gun NNNNNNNNNNNija SSSStoooookerrrrr! :bud:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Another reminder to all Potential Officer applicants hoping to meet the September 2009 entry:

Get your application forms submitted this month guys!