Having a car in RT

Warrenwoods

Reaction score
Morning chaps,

Sorry if it’s been asked before,

Do I need a car during RT?
I have a car on finance *text deleted*, and I’m feeling it will just be money down the drain?

What are everyone’s thoughts ? Will I be able to leave it at lympstone and use it weekends or not.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Will I be able to leave it at lympstone and use it weekends or not.

No. Recruits are not permitted to park vehicles at CTCRM during RT.

One major factor is that of safety. Recruits returning exhausted from an ex and then attempting to drive home can lead to tragedy.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Morning chaps,

Sorry if it’s been asked before,

Do I need a car during RT?
I have a car on finance *text deleted*, and I’m feeling it will just be money down the drain?

What are everyone’s thoughts ? Will I be able to leave it at lympstone and use it weekends or not.
Definitely not. Cars and motorbikes for Nods are not allowed. Only enough parking for the TTs and civvies, plus, as @Chelonian has pointed out, the main reason is safety.

Alan

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Definitely not. Cars and motorbikes for Nods are not allowed. Only enough parking for the TTs and civvies, plus, as @Chelonian has pointed out, the main reason is safety.

Alan

The excuse is safety but the reason is space, the car-parks can barely handle the full time staff, + those on courses vehicles. Do not try to hide your car on camp/surrounding area like someone I may have known did for all of his RT training, when you are caught, and you will be, best case scenario is a lifetime parking ban from CTCRM. o_O

Jaykay2343

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If you get caught hiding it in the local area and you get banned from parking at ctc, park somewhere else in the local area :D:D

Chelonian

Reaction score
...best case scenario is a lifetime parking ban from CTCRM. o_O

There must be plenty of entrepreneurial locals with car parking spaces (at a price) in nearby villages. I'd be astonished if such services hadn't been a thriving business for years.

As an aside, the mention of people being banned reminds me of the woman who once left a frantic message on my telephone wailing that her elderly mother (a client of mine) had just been given a lifetime ban from Iceland.
I'd never before had a client banned from a nation state so imagine my disappointment when I learned that the woman meant Iceland, Union Square, Torquay. :(

Chelonian

Reaction score
A question to those in the know:

Are Young Officers in training permitted to park vehicles at CTCRM?

The policy of banning Recruits from parking vehicles on the grounds of safety is sensible. Presumably the same policy applies to YOs?

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
The excuse is safety but the reason is space, the car-parks can barely handle the full time staff, + those on courses vehicles. Do not try to hide your car on camp/surrounding area like someone I may have known did for all of his RT training, when you are caught, and you will be, best case scenario is a lifetime parking ban from CTCRM. o_O
They can always get rid of the rest of the tennis courts that no one seems to use. Not in February anyways!

Alan

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If you get caught hiding it in the local area and you get banned from parking at ctc, park somewhere else in the local area :D:D

The trick was lads used to park in the village down the road and a certain pub, the problem is that cars get broken into, stolen, towed. The locals complain all the time about the line of cars left down a certain road or two. Yes you will have your ability to park at CTC revoked for the rest of your career if the powers thst be feel like it, which can be a huge inconvience when you come back to ctc for a course and they wont let you even drive your car to the grots to drop your kit off. -banghead-

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The trick was lads used to park in the village down the road and a certain pub, the problem is that cars get broken into, stolen, towed. The locals complain all the time about the line of cars left down a certain road or two. Yes you will have your ability to park at CTC revoked for the rest of your career if the powers thst be feel like it, which can be a huge inconvience when you come back to ctc for a course and they wont let you even drive your car to the grots to drop your kit off. -banghead-

Are you speaking from personal experience? :)

D

dodgyknees

A question to those in the know:

Are Young Officers in training permitted to park vehicles at CTCRM?

The policy of banning Recruits from parking vehicles on the grounds of safety is sensible. Presumably the same policy applies to YOs?

Strangely, they are allowed! Nuts in my view as my lad drove home a number of times absolutely chin-strapped.:mad:

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Are you speaking from personal experience? :)

I can neither confirm nor deny that a vehicle was parked on camp for most of RT and the training team was none the wiser until during the "chair of truth", all was revealed by the recruits fellow nods. Consequences may have occured after said incident.

Additional hint, if a nod was to walk to the armoury from the grots he would have passed said vehicle everytime. Where was it parked? :cool:

Chelonian

Reaction score
Where was it parked? :cool:

Reminds me of when I was dating a staff nurse at Torbay Hospital many years ago. I'd park outside her ward and make myself comfortable in the nurses' staff room while waiting for her to finish her shift.

Ward sister: "Ooh, Chelonian. Everyone on the ward thinks that you're the Consultant."
Me: "Is that because of my relaxed, mildly arrogant, flirtatious attitude?"
Ward sister: "No, because you always dump your f-----g car in his reserved parking bay!"

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I can neither confirm nor deny that a vehicle was parked on camp for most of RT and the training team was none the wiser until during the "chair of truth", all was revealed by the recruits fellow nods. Consequences may have occured after said incident.

Additional hint, if a nod was to walk to the armoury from the grots he would have passed said vehicle everytime. Where was it parked? :cool:

If you parked it behind Med Centre, this may be the greatest story of all time :D

mace

Reaction score
- Advice needed please! -
Hi, I live alone, I have no family so I have sold all my furnitures, all my bulky items already because my plan was to just keep only what I can fit in my car. I live in a minimalist/spartan way anyway... So would it be possible to park my car at the CTCRM if I am not driving it anywhere during recruit training? If not can anyone advise me on a location where you could possible park, please? Or, would it possible to rent a tiny room/locker at CTCRM? I know it’s a weird situation and question but I thought there is no harm in asking. Many thanks for any replies!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
- Advice needed please! -
Hi, I live alone, I have no family so I have sold all my furnitures, all my bulky items already because my plan was to just keep only what I can fit in my car. I live in a minimalist/spartan way anyway... So would it be possible to park my car at the CTCRM if I am not driving it anywhere during recruit training? If not can anyone advise me on a location where you could possible park, please? Or, would it possible to rent a tiny room/locker at CTCRM? I know it’s a weird situation and question but I thought there is no harm in asking. Many thanks for any replies!
Best bet is speak to your AFCO.

I know of a few people that live a nomadic lifestyle and their home is their campervan, boat, etc.

Parking at CTC is not provided for recruits due to available space and basic safety reasons. You'll probably find putting your belongings in storage, or at a friend's is probably cheaper and more secure than trying to run a vehicle during recruit training.

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If you parked it behind Med Centre, this may be the greatest story of all time :D
Better than med centre carpark. But getting warmer.

Edit: Since this thread has been resurrected and I'm well outside enjoying civi Street, this is the alledged scenario the car was parked next to the night armoury in the bays infront of Hunter, one day I brought the car on camp to move some kit, got a quick detail and parked it there for a week, I went into the field came back, nothing was said nothing on the car to move it. So I thought ok how much neck do I have for this. Turns out I had the neck for the whole of RT. The guards saw me coming in and out of camp and assumed I was a trained rank.

It came out during Kings Squad piss up, troop Boss was amazed, team saw the funny side. Just after passout Director of Training found out and had a huge sense of humour failure! But I had traded my hatch on M3 the week before so the cars didn't match. Better to be lucky than good!

Last edited:

Latest posts

New Threads