Hawk Crash in Valley on Anglesey.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
It's worrying that a statement about the welfare of the crew has not yet been released.

You might be right mate, BBC now reporting an RAF engineer has died. Not sure if aircrew or ground crew.

RIP

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
I think the Sparrows routinely ferry ground crew in the second seat.
Tragic news.

Yep, it would be a shame if that ended because of this. I remember when I was a lad, school kids to do their work experience at RAF Scampton and get to go up with them. Was tough to get but I knew a lad who managed it. All that ended after the crash at Bournemouth in 2011, if not slightly before.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yea confirmed, 1 death, an engineer. And pilot in hospital.

I would imagine it was an engineer in the back seat for a check of some sort. Poor guy or girl.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Very sad news, RIP.

Thanks for the thread merge, missed the initial post.

Pez1962

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Very sad. Thoughts to the families involved.

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I would imagine it was an engineer in the back seat for a check of some sort. Poor guy or girl.
Pilots like to take up ground crew as a bit of fun and a thank you for the work they do to keep the pilots in the air, my uncle got to have a ride in the back seat of a few Tornadoes when he was an aircraft armourer.

I have no idea what circumstances would of let to the pilot being able to eject and not the guy in the back, normally pilots take the attitude of ensuring their passenger makes it out first

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
I have no idea what circumstances would of let to the pilot being able to eject and not the guy in the back, normally pilots take the attitude of ensuring their passenger makes it out first

I was thinking about this as you can pay as a civvy to fly in all sorts of jets and I was tempted. At what point do you think, I'm the first out of this thing and potentially getting it wrong and bringing down a perfectly good jet because you misheard the pilot say eject. Was he taking the pee, did he really mean it, did he really say it?

Short of seeing him /her leave first, it must be difficult to pull that thing. When I first read the Daily Mail, it did say both ejected. But that might just be a mistake.

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
When I first read the Daily Mail, it did say both ejected. But that might just be a mistake.
Eye witnesses reported seeing only one chute; although at that altitude an ejection could be just as fatal

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Eye witnesses reported seeing only one chute; although at that altitude an ejection could be just as fatal

Must have updated then when I first read it, it was only one paragraph long so looks like more details must have come in.

Yep unfortunately can't do your chances much good the lower you come out of it.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ejection malfunction? Maybe they both tired to eject but only one seat worked.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Many years ago I watched a TV doc about the Sparrows which then flew Folland Gnats.

Back then the Red Arrows routinely used the jets to ferry the ground crew in the second seat because they deployed from so many airfields due to the nature of the role. It's an efficient way to manage resources. The ground crew were fully trained in safety procedures including ejection rather than just being passive loads.
Given the numbers of ground crew I'd guess that the majority of them are moved about by more conventional means.

I also vaguely recall a recent RAF recruitment ad on TV which showed a female technician flight suit and donning helmet before climbing into the second seat of a Red Arrows Hawk for just such a flight.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Pilots like to take up ground crew as a bit of fun and a thank you for the work they do to keep the pilots in the air, my uncle got to have a ride in the back seat of a few Tornadoes when he was an aircraft armourer.

They take engineers up for second opinions, or help diagnosing or like you say a thank you.

We will have to wait for the enquiry, because usually if it’s pilot error, human nature dictates the pilot generally stays to try and correct it, and goes down with the aircraft, or ejects much later.
It’s “easier” to bang out when it’s a technical fault.

As far as I was aware I thought the ejection seats were designed in two seat aircraft that if one or the other banged out, then both banged out?
I don’t know if there is a manual override or a way or changing it, or maybe the red arrows had a seperate set up?

Remember that the pilot will have had a lot more experience and training, and in the heat of the moment, or adrenaline the engineer might not have been able to come to terms with it or managed to eject correctly?

Obviously it’s all bollocks until the official line comes out.
Never a good thing though, thoughts with their family.

Reactions: JWJ

Latest posts

New Threads